Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 03:22:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How easy was it to buy Bitcoin back in 2011?  (Read 9070 times)
NapoleonBonaparte

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:14:33 PM

Were there exchanges back then and did these exchanges accept buyers' money from around the world? How was the process like on Mt. Gox? I'm trying to come up with reasons for why I couldn't buy Bitcoin when they were dirt cheap to make myself feel better for missing out on making a lot of money. Because I read about Bitcoin in 2011 but I didn't pay anymore attention to it and didn't think people would start speculating with it and blow up the way it did  Cry

yes your right people from the start knew how valuable bitcoins would eventually become though it was still easy to obtain them well into last

year for a very decent price

Many people saw the potential right away.

There were discussion threads during the 2011 bubble that people would be buying mansions and islands for their Bitcoin soon. While that may not have not happened yet, were are still on track for that.

How high do they expect bitcoin to go up?
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:34:23 PM

I'm pretty sure early 2011 you could still purchase Bitcoin with paypal because there wasn't many people aware with the chargeback issue.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10443

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:51:57 PM

I'm pretty much sure it's happening already. If not happeining that at least there are some ppl that CAN buy Islands and stuff like that with amount of BTC they have (or better say, with par of BTC they have). Some of them out there are filthy rich.

I have 0.001  Cry

Each of us have our own budgets and means, and .001 is the equivalent of $.62, which seems insufficient to accomplish anything in the BTC space.

If you currently, know about BTC, then you should attempt to acquire as many BTC as you deem practical 10 to 20 BTC would be a decent goal, especially, if we consider where BTC will be in about 5 years... I'm speculating possibly in the $100K range per each BTC?

Yah i would like to onw at least 10, but i dont know how.

.001 is a pretty slow start.  I do NOT expect BTC prices to go down much more... possibly BTC prices could lower into the $500s, but no one really knows.  

If you bought 10BTC at today's prices, it would cost you around $6300.  

Accordingly, probably, it is best for a person with a limited budget to buy some bitcoin every week... earn some extra money, and buy $20 to $100 worth of BTC per week, and if you get your hands on additional money or additional work, then increase the amount of BTC that you buy on a weekly basis.

Of course, how someone invests depends upon his/her risk tolerance, his/her means and his/her chosen lifestyle and the extent to which s/he has other investments.  Diversification of investments is also good;however, BTC seems to be a fairly decent investment and seems to be under valued at the moment.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:47:00 PM

Were there exchanges back then and did these exchanges accept buyers' money from around the world? How was the process like on Mt. Gox? I'm trying to come up with reasons for why I couldn't buy Bitcoin when they were dirt cheap to make myself feel better for missing out on making a lot of money. Because I read about Bitcoin in 2011 but I didn't pay anymore attention to it and didn't think people would start speculating with it and blow up the way it did  Cry

It wasnt as hard as one may assume. I traded liberty reserve dollars for bitcoin, and many various virtual items.
There was allways a way of obtaining btc, for those who bothered to try.

cheers
redHeadBlunder

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:55:09 PM

It was much easier as you didn't have to deal with AML issues that you deal with now
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 01:55:03 AM

My grandpa told me that back in 2011 Bitcoin was only available on these little brass coins with holograms on side, they were made by this mythical person called Casascius. Psych.

I'm glad it's significantly easier to buy BTC now than it was two years ago. It's great to see this system evolve and grow and succeed.

Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 04:23:36 AM

Everyone has their version of this story. Don't kick yourself for it and be happy that you got involved as early as 2014!

(At least that's what I tell myself)

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 02:11:48 PM

Everyone has their version of this story. Don't kick yourself for it and be happy that you got involved as early as 2014!

And not in late 2013, when BTC was going for over $1,000.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:11:00 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if people who bought at those prices turn out to be early adopters, still. Time will tell.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:35:01 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if people who bought at those prices turn out to be early adopters, still. Time will tell.

Looks like you are pretty bullish on the bitcoin price, expecting it to go well beyond $1000. So am I. Cheesy

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:43:39 PM

Looks like you are pretty bullish on the bitcoin price, expecting it to go well beyond $1000. So am I. Cheesy

Thing is, I'm long-term bullish or at least believe the risk/reward ratio is acceptable. Right now, it could go either way, but we've been at this point before. A couple of times. That being said, I repeat... I wouldn't be surprised if it increased by another 500%-1000% again. I'm not certain, though Smiley

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 04:21:00 PM

Thing is, I'm long-term bullish or at least believe the risk/reward ratio is acceptable. Right now, it could go either way, but we've been at this point before. A couple of times. That being said, I repeat... I wouldn't be surprised if it increased by another 500%-1000% again. I'm not certain, though Smiley

I would be surprised if bitcoin won't increase at least of 4x in the next year Smiley
The adoption is increasing and we had some good news, there's no reason why it won't grow like in the past years.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 04:47:23 PM

yes your right people from the start knew how valuable bitcoins would eventually become though it was still easy to obtain them well into last

There were discussion threads during the 2011 bubble that people would be buying mansions and islands for their Bitcoin soon. While that may not have not happened yet, were are still on track for that.

I expect it to go down. Once all have been mined it may grow in value some. What percentage have been mined so far?

ashe

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:58:32 PM

I`m planning to buy btc, and it seems a lot harder since theres so much verifications, esp coinbase.

And linking to bank account etc.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 07:09:22 PM

I`m planning to buy btc, and it seems a lot harder since theres so much verifications, esp coinbase.

You can buy some with localbitcoins, this way you don't have to worry about banks, just contact your seller and pay him.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10443

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 08:55:19 PM

I expect it to go down. Once all have been mined it may grow in value some. What percentage have been mined so far?

13.1/21  = 62.4% of all BTC have already been mined

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 08:56:44 PM

You can buy some with localbitcoins, this way you don't have to worry about banks, just contact your seller and pay him.

I was going to use localbitcoins when I first got involved, but the person selling wanted an extra 10% on top of btc price. I figured it was worth it to go ahead and set up an account with coinbase and not have to pay that ridiculous extra charge.
blitzcrank

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 09:47:35 PM

I just buy mine from my friend, since hes a miner lol.
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 01:28:49 AM

More than the amount which has been mined, the rate at which bitcoins are being mined will have an effect.
So I expect a spike next time the block reward is halved.
Lanzer

Activity: 446
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 02:44:04 AM

Well not sure if it was easy to buy a bitcoin back then but at least they were cheap
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: