Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 04:08:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins stolen from my wallet?!?  (Read 3419 times)
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:39:55 AM

You can move the wallet to linux

Install bitcoin-qt in linux ( ubuntu ) and move the existing wallet.dat to that

This makes the wallet more secure than windows

If he used it on Windows before, it would be pretty much useless. Your wallet.dat might be exposed to all kinds of malware on Windows. Therefore, if you move it to Linux, the attacker would have your key and can steal your BTC.

Do you realize how difficult you are making this?  How many Windows based people would know how to find an Ubuntu install and burn a copy.  Of those, how many would be able to get the OS installed and run bitcoin-qt in under 1 day?  Telling Windows based people to move to Linux is not helpful.  People who are familiar with Linux can do this, people who are young and have time can do this.  With the exception of miners, I would say Windows based bitcoin-qt easily accounts for 85% of all the offline wallets.

All this talk of malware is quite useless.  If you still have the coins in your wallet, use this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0 and pick a wallet on an OS that you're comfortable using.  Switching to a new OS while trying to secure your wallet = lost coins.  Once you have a secured wallet, simply move your coins from the unsecured wallet to the secured wallet - problem solved.
NiceSoft12

Activity: 433
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:49:13 PM

I'm wondering is this necessarily true.  Considering that there are a lot more windows viruses BUT a lot more windows users compared to less linux viruses but a lot less linux users.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:57:22 PM

I'm wondering is this necessarily true.  Considering that there are a lot more windows viruses BUT a lot more windows users compared to less linux viruses but a lot less linux users.

Virus creators just don't care to target Linux machines. The majority is using Windows. Also, people who use Linux statistically are more savvy and less prone to fall for an attack. Also, you could argue whether people using Linux actually have that much money as people using Windows or OS X do. But that discussion could end violently.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
ashe

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 06:15:04 PM

If he used it on Windows before, it would be pretty much useless. Your wallet.dat might be exposed to all kinds of malware on Windows. Therefore, if you move it to Linux, the attacker would have your key and can steal your BTC.

Do you realize how difficult you are making this?  How many Windows based people would know how to find an Ubuntu install and burn a copy.  Of those, how many would be able to get the OS installed and run bitcoin-qt in under 1 day?  Telling Windows based people to move to Linux is not helpful.  People who are familiar with Linux can do this, people who are young and have time can do this.  With the exception of miners, I would say Windows based bitcoin-qt easily accounts for 85% of all the offline wallets.

All this talk of malware is quite useless.  If you still have the coins in your wallet, use this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0 and pick a wallet on an OS that you're comfortable using.  Switching to a new OS while trying to secure your wallet = lost coins.  Once you have a secured wallet, simply move your coins from the unsecured wallet to the secured wallet - problem solved.

I know for a fact the average american wouldnt know what the fuck ubuntu is and explain why would they change their current OS lol.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 07:19:40 AM

I know for a fact the average american wouldnt know what the fuck ubuntu is and explain why would they change their current OS lol.

Exactly.  It would be wise for the Windows users to learn Linux if they plan on getting involved with mining or have an intense need to minimize their risks, but playing with a OS they're not familiar with is asking for disaster.  BAMT is pretty much mindless plug and play mining and still 95% of computer users wouldn't be able to mine in 1 day with it.

There are plenty of viable and secure Windows options as I linked - people should use them.  Linux users usually know where their vulnerabilities are.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: