Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:58:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Anonymity so important to you?  (Read 9400 times)
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:33:14 AM

I have nothing to hide frankly, but my financial details are my business. I choose to take measures to defend my privacy. If someone really wanted to find out if I am a bitcoin holder they could but I certainly don't advertise it. The problem I have with the NSA and all of that is that we were never given a choice and there was never a requirement to prove probable cause before they stole our personal information.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:15:56 AM

I have nothing to hide frankly

Only reason you have nothing to hide is because you have a poor imagination.

My AliceWonder username - I sometimes post pictures of snakes with my real name on it.
I don't care, it's just an internet handle.

Today someone on reddit I've never met before didn't like something I said (imagine that! LOL) and said they did a background search on me, revealing my real name.

I don't give a sh*t but it is freaky that some background database has compiled that about me.

Maybe they got it from snake pics or more likely a domain registration - but even though I don't really care to keep who I am secret, it's still freaky that a publicly accessible database somewhere has it.

Oh, and I am thinking about exercising my second amendment rights and buying a gun. This guy seemed to think I am a transvestite (nope) and seemed to hate them, and well, that group has a lot of senseless violence committed against it by freaky people. So...

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
libivan

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:35:09 AM

My AliceWonder username - I sometimes post pictures of snakes with my real name on it.

Today someone on reddit I've never met before didn't like something I said (imagine that! LOL) and said they did a background search on me, revealing my real name.

I don't give a sh*t but it is freaky that some background database has compiled that about me.

Maybe they got it from snake pics or more likely a domain registration - but even though I don't really care to keep who I am secret, it's still freaky that a publicly accessible database somewhere has it.

Oh, and I am thinking about exercising my second amendment rights and buying a gun. This guy seemed to think I am a transvestite (nope) and seemed to hate them, and well, that group has a lot of senseless violence committed against it by freaky people. So...

Yes, we all are too much vulnerable with all this online indiscriminate (mandatory) exposure which allows anyone to acquire our private info, gaining the ability to misuse it and cause us harms.
bassguitarman

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:41:51 AM

Imagine your best friend; someone you trust with your life asks you to show him/her all your emails, text messages, phone conversations and what you buy or sell. This person will then permanently record everything. Would you allow it?

Now imagine a faceless entity having access to all that information.

woah, thats an interesting perspective.
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:12:31 AM

I should have clarified that a bit. I have nothing to hide legally. I prefer to keep my online identity online and far away from my personal life.

Everyone should exercise their 2nd amendment right. Personal security isn't something we should take lightly. If you do get one it is very much worth your time to take classes and spend some time at a range learning to use it effectively.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:23:59 AM

Proof has not a damn thing to do with it. Privacy becomes important once you've had to deal with that shit. Too many people insist on learning the hard way with the "I have nothing to hide" idiocy. You let The State into your affairs, they'll "find" whatever they want to find.

"I have nothing to hide"

Big data and data mining means that the privacy you thought you had is/will be gone.

Let's say you bought a digital watch with alarm and a flashlight recently, and an already terrorist suspect bought some fertilizer. Then your phones' location data shows that you happened to be at the same pizzeria at the same time for 30 minutes (or you both paid your pizza using Bitcoin).
=> big data says you're suspected terrorist and puts you on a high risk list
=> you won't be getting an insurance or credit card or loan from a bank, you wouldn't get a job or might lose your job if it is a job that requires clean background etc

And even if you're not living in such a country yet, you'd be prevented from getting into one when traveling, or worse, arrested at the airport.

And all this thinking "you had nothing to hide".

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:27:33 AM

@ AliceW and Cicero above (and everyone)

We live in a time where our .gov and many others are sticking their nose into our business & wallets and taking away our rights!  Anonymity is a right, almost a duty.

So is our Second Amendment.  Yes, please do buy a gun, and learn to use it right.  The more who are armed, the harder it will for them to take our rights away.

And with learning a few techniques, you can vastly increase your privacy using BTC.  Mixing services.  A used laptop that you bought for cash there at the pawnshop.  Sending your BTC around to your wallets (at less than 10 cents, why not), and creating more...!

You almost have to think like a spy nowadays just to have some tranquility!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:09:51 AM

but my financial details are my business. I choose to take measures to defend my privacy. 

really?
Quote from: Cicero2.0
1LaYkyGBmXAeBP2JdVXjEqiZRr6kHkbBTy

bitcoin is anonymous... right up until the second that someone tells the world their financial life story

Quote from: Kayex
BTC Address : 1PBnmqit4948gNyzAqfAdiTLFE8Z494t8

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:14:49 AM

I am concerned that an attacker would find out how much bitcoin I have in my possession, subjecting me to a number of hacking attempted/attacks.
This is why you need to back up your wallets and protect them.

Kayex (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:40:17 PM

Imagine your best friend; someone you trust with your life asks you to show him/her all your emails, text messages, phone conversations and what you buy or sell. This person will then permanently record everything. Would you allow it?

I never actually thought of it that way.
Now that you say that, BTC can still be traced by your IP can't it?

Gargulan

Activity: 231

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:43:27 PM

Until someone discover your real identity and trying to scam you.

Yeah?

Activity: 79

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:04:11 PM

Anonymity is important because it is our right. It's especially more important now with all this blanket survialance that is goin on. Bitcoin can be a tool to help fight this.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:09:42 PM

In my case I just think it's nobody's business if I just want to buy a book, a bicycle or a condo without any middlemen getting involved. Sure the anonymous nature of Bitcoin is going to attract the black market types, but then, any new technology is going to attract criminal elements that think they can get away with using it in an illegal or unethical fashion. (And I say "think" because so many of the bad actors in the Bitcoin world have gotten caught.) For me, it's not about having anything to hide. It's about having a reasonable expectation that I can go above my business without anybody else sticking their nose into it.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 04:16:30 PM

Ever heard of proxies?

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
ACCTseller

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

no longer selling accounts

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:23:16 PM

Ever heard of proxies?
Your identity can be discovered even with a proxy. If an attacker can figure out the IP address of the proxy that transmitted the TX then the attacker could go to the proxy and find out the IP address that was connected to the proxy
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 04:44:07 PM

Ever heard of proxies?
Your identity can be discovered even with a proxy. If an attacker can figure out the IP address of the proxy that transmitted the TX then the attacker could go to the proxy and find out the IP address that was connected to the proxy

That's why you use elite fully aonymous proxies through a VPS which you only access through another set of elite anonymous proxies and then never from your home or office location.

TRACK THAT!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Kayex (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:44:04 PM

Ever heard of proxies?

That's why you use elite fully aonymous proxies through a VPS which you only access through another set of elite anonymous proxies and then never from your home or office location.

TRACK THAT!
Well if the government gets involved they can track you down regardless if you have a vpn or not.
Pretty sure a lot of people got caught for a black hat program even if they paid with btc.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:15:45 PM

Bitcoin offers a private transaction free from bank accounts or the need for fraud prevention identification services. No social security number is needed. No address or phone number is required. Nobody you do business with has any information about you worth sharing or any common identification means to do so. What more do you want and why?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DjPxH

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:19:53 PM

I don't wand people to know that I own a metric crapton of BTC. I can barely store them, they just take up too much space. If people are aware of you BTC holdings, you may become the target of people intending to steal them. Also I guess a lot of people may want to hide their BTC from tax authorities.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:22:27 PM

So regarding BTC, I understand why people use it.
So you can't be tracked down, it's useful, it's fast, etc etc.

But do you remain anonymous because of blackhat related activities?
Do you just not want to be known?

I personally don't care. I just think that BTC is a great investment for me.
Is Anonymity not that important to you?

There is a small chance BTC becomes "the weapon of terrorism" and anyone that has ever owned it is to be executed.  I'd prefer it not to be known I owned BTC at that point.  Lets be honest though.. the gov already knows I own btc lol.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: