Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:31:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Anonymity so important to you?  (Read 9400 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:46:37 PM

It's important to me and not only for btc but in general because it isn't anyones business
how much gas I purchase a month. Or How much coffee I consume in a month. as examples
It has nothing to do with illegalities but in knowing that someone knows how boring my life is better than me.
Which is why I pay cash for my groceries and gas and use other peoples loyalty cards.
It's much easier to take your picture from a hidden camera and positively ID you even if you use cash.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BTCmoons

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:35:46 AM

I would rather nit a bunch if strangers knowing my personal info. Nor do I want coworkers knowing how much I make.
fa

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:45:25 AM

Nothing is free, anonymity also comes with a price. Maybe bitcoin 2.0 will address that problem.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 01:05:08 AM

I would rather nit a bunch if strangers knowing my personal info. Nor do I want coworkers knowing how much I make.

Then don't tell them.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
tntdgcr

Activity: 219

Bitcoin Mining Hosting

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 01:09:12 AM

it's not that important. most of what matters has KYC.

OregonMines is expanding. Are you expanding with us?
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:07:17 AM

it's not that important. most of what matters has KYC.

Horseshit.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:00:43 AM

Anonymity is important to me because no one needs to know what I'm doing. Im not saying I'm involved in criminal activities but, I like my privacy.

1. I don't have to report anything
2. I don't have to pay tax on it. Just the small transaction fee.
3. It finally gives people(in my opinion)some financial freedom.
4. No one knows how much money I have.
5. I don't have to pay a bank $15 a month for an account. The days of getting interest from banks is gone.
6. No one knows what I do with my money or how I spend it.
7. I have no limit on how much I can deposit or withdrawal

I could go on and on. Some of these reasons aren't necessarily for anonymity, but more so reasons to use bitcoin.  

Ozziecoin

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 03:06:41 AM

Sorry to burst the bubble but bitcoin is not anonymous as it currently stands.

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:11:24 AM

Although I don;t think Bitcoin is all that anonymous. With all the prying eyes in the NSA I prefer my transactions to be private. They have no business knowing what I do with my money. I also have the freedom of not having to answer any questions about where I got my money, did I pay tax, how much I deposit or withdraw. Almost no fees to move around money. Bitcoin to me is freedom to won wealth without having to explain it.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:18:11 AM

because i don't want tax collector chase me in he future
if my government decide to tax bitcoin

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
ABISprotocol

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 03:41:58 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 07:51:53 AM by ABISprotocol

Everyone should exercise their 2nd amendment right. Personal security isn't something we should take lightly. If you do get one it is very much worth your time to take classes and spend some time at a range learning to use it effectively.

Well if I do get one, as I am not allowed to drive (Epilepsy) and California does not allow either open or concealed carry, it would be kind of hard for me to go to a range...

Hello AliceWonder,

I perked up when I saw your post.  

I also have epilepsy (almost my entire life).

Like you I presently live in California (hard to say how long that will still be the case, but at present, that's where I am).

I am allowed to drive being as my epilepsy is controlled by medication.  I am fortunate in that respect, I suppose.  I just got done with a medical review that cleared me again, although the doctors can technically order my license revoked if ever they have a concern.  At one time some years ago my license was revoked for medical reasons, but after a very long time of review and an appeals process, I was able to secure the license to drive again.  I know, though, that most people with epilepsy can not be cleared to drive after their medical review.    

Most of the time if I am going on a long journey then someone else drives or I'll take a bus, but it's good to be cleared to drive.

When it comes to CCW licensing, not being able to drive may be an issue, or it may not.  Check with your doctor.  For many people with a disability, you're not limited in that regard unless you feel your health conditions make it an issue.  I'm part of Disabled Americans for Firearm Rights.  You can see that here: http://www.dafr.org/

You mentioned that California doesn't allow open or concealed carry.  That's not exactly the case.  It's true that in California there is no open carry (they revoked it some years back, including revoking the open carry provision that used to allow people to carry rifles freely around, now the rifle has to be in the case all the time until you get to your range position or are within an area where hunting is allowed).  

However, concealed carry is allowed in California.  The requirements differ broadly from county to county, but it recently got easier to concealed carry, so it probably makes sense to get your training and get a concealed carry license - even if you don't concealed carry, the training that comes with the license process is worth it.  I don't like all the checks that come with it and the questions they ask of everyone as part of the review process, but if you are into getting a good level of training, it's worth it.  I am a TKD brown belt and until recently volunteered as an assistant instructor for a local studio, part of what we practiced constantly was gun and knife defense, to be able to disarm attackers with our hands under certain opportune conditions.  Training is really important for everyone ~ even if you don't own or carry, get some.  Knowledge helps you to survive.

If you are interested in non-lethal carry training check out:  The Defenders http://www.pdws.biz/ (yes, the same as used in "Men Who Stare At Goats") You can get certified to train others in that here:  http://www.pdws.biz/Become_an_Instructor.html
I can personally attest to the effectiveness of the The Defender tools.  In a variety of situations and environments, it is more advantageous than a firearm or a blade.  But as with all things, if you do not receive training and engage in regular practice, you will not be prepared to utilize it when you need to.

CAL-FFL is a partner with the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) in a lawsuit against the NSA -- for details on this, see:
https://www.eff.org/cases/first-unitarian-church-los-angeles-v-nsa

CAL-FFL and Calguns have a guide for those who are interested in training or license for CCW (concealed carry) in California.  You need not actually own to be trained, but you can get familiarity with a variety of pistols, which is way, way better than being unfamiliar and untrained.  For those, like me, who are in California, I recommend you not only get your CA CCW (which is likely to be specific just to your county), but as well, get the AZ permit which covers a lot of states.
That page is at:  http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/carry/
Background: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2014/03/cgf-publishes-new-carry-license-application-resources-faqs/

So now to the issue that is more particularly the topic of this thread:  bitcoin, and anonymity.

1) Bitcoin.  Not like it matters what the law says about it as we'll use it anyway, but it's a relief to know that in California, all decentralized virtual currencies / decentralized virtual currency users don't have to worry about California trying to prosecute us.
Note the passage of AB 129, recently signed by the Governor, which basically was just a law to repeal the State's prior prohibitions on alternativer currences:
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB129

2) Anonymity.  Do you support bitcoin development, and support anonymity?  I do.  Anonymity is absolutely vital especially if you live in places like NY State, China, or the Russian Federation - all places that have in the recent passed launched legal assaults on the bitcoin community.  
Presently bitcoin is not anonymous.  However, you can find out how to use it while masking your IP address, at:
https://twitter.com/BFEduComm/status/491291754055094272
And if you want to help encourage both more funding for bitcoin development generally _and_ help support anonymity, weigh in here and let the Foundation know:

https://github.com/pmlaw/The-Bitcoin-Foundation-Legal-Repo/issues/19

(If you don't already have a github account, it's easy to sign up for one.)

Thank you

ABISprotocol (Github/Gist)
http://abis.io
ABISprotocol

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 03:43:24 AM

Anonymity is important to me because no one needs to know what I'm doing. Im not saying I'm involved in criminal activities but, I like my privacy.

5. I don't have to pay a bank $15 a month for an account. The days of getting interest from banks is gone.

I could go on and on. Some of these reasons aren't necessarily for anonymity, but more so reasons to use bitcoin.  

Oceans, yes!

I would love to see you weigh in here:

Thanks, if you can.

Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 05:22:31 AM

Regarding number 4.
If they have your wallet...
Can't they track how much wallet you're receiving and sending?
Or is that JUST for certain online wallets?

glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 05:25:47 AM

Anonymity is protection and defence from abuse.

When a system is corrupt and under monopoly control, such as the US dollar, most new regulations brought it are brought it to limit competition and increase control over resources by those that have it.

I'm not sure what the prevailing opinion is. But I'm under the opinion that money should be issued by a government but not controlled by a government, money should be controlled only by those who own it. Bitcoin is just a more logical and simply better system. An anonymous coin such as Darkcoin appeals to me. Regulation is control is protection coming from the haves against the have-nots.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
ABISprotocol

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:00:30 AM

Regarding number 4.
If they have your wallet...
Can't they track how much wallet you're receiving and sending?
Or is that JUST for certain online wallets?

Generally speaking, any website-based wallet (what you called an online wallet) or any website-based exchange can readily and does track how much you are spending, some request a great deal of info from you,  others not as much.  But as website-based business models (your information, your keys, your data, through their website and on their server), they can be required (and are vulnerable to) requests to give up information about you to whatever silly state or federal government requests it.  While website-based businesses that retain your information on their servers could mitigate this problem through use of zero-knowledge proofs and stealth transaction implementation, most choose not to (or simply don't have the technical skill to do so).

Hence the reasoning for decentralized software and full (Bitcoin Core) or lighter (Electrum) wallets, and usage of those wallets with Tor (( see https://twitter.com/BFEduComm/status/491291754055094272 )), as well as the advantage of using decentralized markets (BitXBay, Mastercoin Decentralized Exchange, Cloakcoin (Onemarket), NightTrader / BlackHalo, others) instead of centralized, website based exchanges.

If you own your keys and manage your own data in a decentralized, peer to peer framework, that is a functional solution to avoid censorship of what you are doing, but depending on how you choose to manage your behavior online, you may not be anonymous when you do so.

With that said, the need for anonymity (at the very least as an option) is obvious, so go here and weigh in if you dare:

ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:15:12 AM

Anonymity important to some because they aren't wanting to get "market data" targeted ad's constantly.  If you think it isn't coming to bitcoin soon just wait and see!

littlewizard

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:24:55 AM

It is not important to normal people who use bitcoin, but only important to some people who....
tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:37:29 AM

Anonymity?
Seriously?
You wouldn't like everyone here know how much money you have would you?
Anonymity is the best feature of bitcoin.
Bitcoin wouldn't be as popular as it currently is without anonymity!!!  Cool Cool Cool
tmbp

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:44:47 AM

Why is privacy so important for you? Why is personal space so important for you? Why can't I fuck your wife? Sharing is caring
Non-Sequitur. Do you fuck every wife that tells you her name?

It is very much relevant, you would expect a 13 year old child to already understand why privacy and/or anonymity are important yet you find manchildren in their 30s asking this question.
alz

Activity: 227

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 11:26:27 AM

Anonymity?
Seriously?
You wouldn't like everyone here know how much money you have would you?
Anonymity is the best feature of bitcoin.
Bitcoin wouldn't be as popular as it currently is without anonymity!!!  Cool Cool Cool

Blockchain analysis techniques have totally removed Bitcoins anonymity, It is just a case of how many resources the forensic analysis team have at their disposal.
If you are talking of an individual Bitcoin users anonymity against aggressive government agencies then even employing mixers and 1 shot addresses is going to be ineffective.

There are some newer Cryptocoins that tout anonymity using various methods of blockchain obfuscation ,of these Darkcoin has the most promise IMO as the development team has been the most transparent and have come up with several unique inovations that other coins were quick to clone.
Darkcoins unique Darksend+  blockchain obfuscation system is currently undergoing an independent code and feature review from noted Crypographer and Crypto coin expert Kristov Atlas, the results of Kristov's analysis are due in about a week

BTC - 1GJ2dWf8WBznTtkuuof3WTBXQAULaqVGYj LTC - LTyCKKCGHJQZwsh5YhyzGeee4womQwChUU DASH - Xp5pq62dgJxmbhawyNtWMKT9Rst8JgNCY7
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: