Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 06:44:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Anonymity so important to you?  (Read 9400 times)
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:00:09 PM

So regarding BTC, I understand why people use it.
So you can't be tracked down, it's useful, it's fast, etc etc.

But do you remain anonymous because of blackhat related activities?
Do you just not want to be known?

I personally don't care. I just think that BTC is a great investment for me.
Is Anonymity not that important to you?

Yeah I really dont care either, it needs to be slightly anonymous though since it is a public ledger so i agree on that at least.
blumangroup

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 12:07:31 AM

Anonymity is not a problem for me as I have not completed any kind of transactions that could cause me problems if I was found out to be the person who made the transaction. I do like having that option to be able to show as anonymous when making transactions as it's privacy which I feel we are all entitled to.
Maybe you wouldn't get in trouble, but would you want everyone that you ever meet to get to see how much you make and what you spend your money on? I don't know about you but I certainly do not want this.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
Ozziecoin

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 12:55:59 AM

Because not one single banker in the entire world has gone to prison for manipulating markets. Not one. And the banking industry knows what everyone spends on their credit cards.

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
leex1528

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:19:15 PM

Think of the internet like a mall....

You don't go to the mall, talk to every person there, tell them your name, where your live, and your work schedule.....

You don't give your credit card to a stranger and tell them to hold it and you will be right back

Poor examples...but why would you want people to know who you are on the internet?
Anders

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:12:22 PM

Imagine criminals being able to track all your transactions and identify you. That's scarier than having the NSA tracking your transactions.
boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:43:02 PM

Imagine criminals being able to track all your transactions and identify you. That's scarier than having the NSA tracking your transactions.

Right.

Best way to avoid getting robbed is not showing your wealth.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 05:25:12 PM

"When the government is restrained, the people are free. When the government is free, the people are enslaved."
-Stefan Molyneux

Liberty is why anonymity is important to me.

The fact that you fear the word "criminal" more than you fear unconstitutional state monitoring agencies is a sign of the success of state propaganda.

The NSA is a criminal organization. It has no legitimacy whatsoever, much like the Federal Reserve.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 05:36:11 PM

Its not, but still I dont mind being private Smiley
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:51:11 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 11:08:36 AM by gtraah

Put it this way its harder to track than Direct Debit, Credit Card... And then using Dark Wallet and there will be other programs that will be created just as there are programs that are created to track. And If bitcoin becomes more widely adopted, as in --- you can buy your grocery with Bitcoin, Rent , Bills, Etc etc.... This means people will start accepting it and not needing to change into dollars also.. so as adoption takes place and the less likely we have to exchange how beloved BTC to dam Fiat.... this will make it even more hard to track as all they see is an address no name linked or ID.

Its the On-ramp & Off-ramps from Fiat To BTC and back again, that eventually make our identities known

Me personally? I really don't care for most things that I buy if people know what I am buying.
drugs

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:53:51 AM

Its not, but still I dont mind being private Smiley

If it's not important to you please post your full name and address here please.
ABISprotocol

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 11:42:30 PM

https://github.com/ABISprotocol/The-Bitcoin-Foundation-Legal-Repo/commit/f8890546d64ebeb08253cb500981c490482db405 (pull request, responsive to issue #19 ("Anonymity and Funding"), for Bitcoin Foundation Bylaws).

ABISprotocol (Github/Gist)
http://abis.io
Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:11:33 AM

Bitcoin is not anonymous, at all. Simply put, there are programs out there and in the making, that track every address associated to a designated Bitcoin address, and can interlock transactions between other known addresses of exchanges etc, to find the identity of the user if she/he cashes out via subpoena.

There goes Bitcoin's pseudo-anonymity.

I also can add to this point.
After all of that happens, your IP address can be connected to your BTC address.
That's why I also think BTC isn't anonymous at all. Well, anymore.

desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 07:41:44 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2014, 11:02:16 AM by desired_username

I also can add to this point.
After all of that happens, your IP address can be connected to your BTC address.
That's why I also think BTC isn't anonymous at all. Well, anymore.

It never was fully anonymous. It's a misconception spread by MSM.

Bitcoin is as anonymous as you want it to be.

By default transactions can be tracked. If you use mixers, multiple wallets and don't tie your real ID to any of the address it's basically anonymous.

IP to address is a whole different matter, but it's easy to defend against. (use your brain)

Your comment reflects that bitcoin was anonym once and it's being destroyed which is not the case at all.
TheTruth4

Activity: 108

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 11:06:19 AM

Privacy is essential in maintaining the balance of power between the people and the state. Anonymity is necessary as well when nearly everything online is tracked.
unexecuted

Activity: 175

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 11:18:17 AM

To me the littLe bit of anonimity is a bonus and not priority.. my no 1 is the future deflation and the technology as whole is genious
CoolBliss

Activity: 97

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 11:46:37 AM

If people see how much money you have, they will follow you home...
Quintessence

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:12:40 PM

To my mind, anonymity is not so important as a possibility of it
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:22:15 PM

Bitcoin is not anonymous, at all. Simply put, there are programs out there and in the making, that track every address associated to a designated Bitcoin address, and can interlock transactions between other known addresses of exchanges etc, to find the identity of the user if she/he cashes out via subpoena.

There goes Bitcoin's pseudo-anonymity.
You can choose to be relatively anonymous. If I had 30 different addresses in 30 different wallets filled with BTC mined through p2pool, how would you even know those addresses belonged to me?

Anyway, the reason anonymity is important is because my financial transactions are nobody's business.
BitcoinAccepted
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:36:10 PM

Its not essential but its a nice benefit.

For me it doesn't really matter, as for most people I play mostly on the right side of the law.

Common law > Legislation

I have kids etc. I want them to realise the importance of self protection / preservation in an increasingly wired up world.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:43:12 PM

If Anonymity was so important to the people here who claim it is. Then they would have surely moved to Bytecoin since that would mean, being anonymous is worth more than speculating on BTC price. Since they haven't they are lying for some sort of moral superiority.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: