Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:00:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Anonymity so important to you?  (Read 9400 times)
Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:33:54 AM

If bitcoin were really truly anonymous in 100% It would be great, but there are ways i.e blockchain to track your coins. While it does not show you directly your location or name it can be tracked. But it is still better that credit cards or other online payments method...

I don't think bitcoin ever claimed to be truly anonymous, but you can use it without tying your account to your real world identity. I or others don't know anything about you just because you have a bitcoin address or send and recieve payments.
I don't think satoshi ever said that it was supposed to be anonymous
But people are saying its used for anonymous purposes.
But it depends on the situation i guess

Rampton

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:08:05 AM

If bitcoin were really truly anonymous in 100% It would be great, but there are ways i.e blockchain to track your coins. While it does not show you directly your location or name it can be tracked. But it is still better that credit cards or other online payments method...

I don't think bitcoin ever claimed to be truly anonymous, but you can use it without tying your account to your real world identity. I or others don't know anything about you just because you have a bitcoin address or send and recieve payments.
I don't think satoshi ever said that it was supposed to be anonymous
But people are saying its used for anonymous purposes.
But it depends on the situation i guess

I think people tend to go with what the media says and they seem to peddle it as a 'anoymous currency', which it's not really, but can be used in such a way if you're careful, but it's more of an 'unregulated' currency or one with less bureaucracy and that you're free to use whatever your situation.

Ozziecoin

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 08:09:57 AM

Listen to how the Stasi functioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWjzT2l5C34
Remind you of anyone?

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:13:22 AM

Since people have a right to privacy and an expected right to it without interference from another party
Although in a court case that gets overruled by a warrant or interacting with others  Wink
Still in general freedom to access information and to form opinions independently is why anonymity is important.

Also to purchase some goods that might seem embarrassing if others knew about it ^^.
Or medication etc in the future those type of private use cases where you wouldn't want others to know.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Kayex (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 03:19:46 PM

Since people have a right to privacy and an expected right to it without interference from another party
Although in a court case that gets overruled by a warrant or interacting with others  Wink
Still in general freedom to access information and to form opinions independently is why anonymity is important.

Also to purchase some goods that might seem embarrassing if others knew about it ^^.
Or medication etc in the future those type of private use cases where you wouldn't want others to know.
We do have a right to those privacies. We also need them. But the NSA and the government just want everything. Ugh. >.>

ShakyhandsBTCer

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 03:31:09 PM

Although in a court case that gets overruled by a warrant or interacting with others  Wink

We do have a right to those privacies. We also need them. But the NSA and the government just want everything. Ugh. >.>

The worst thing is, if they try to convince people that they need to do that because of TERRORISM, and righteous people who do nothing wrong have nothing to fear. lol
Kayex (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:08:57 PM

I also can add to this point.
After all of that happens, your IP address can be connected to your BTC address.
That's why I also think BTC isn't anonymous at all. Well, anymore.

It never was fully anonymous. It's a misconception spread by MSM.

Bitcoin is as anonymous as you want it to be.

By default transactions can be tracked. If you use mixers, multiple wallets and don't tie your real ID to any of the address it's basically anonymous.

IP to address is a whole different matter, but it's easy to defend against. (use your brain)

Your comment reflects that bitcoin was anonym once and it's being destroyed which is not the case at all.

Ohhh. That clears up a bunch of things. So MSM spread this misconception about it being anonymous.
But you can tie your address to real life things also such as coinbase.
I understand more now.
Thanks.

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:27:25 PM

Although in a court case that gets overruled by a warrant or interacting with others  Wink

The worst thing is, if they try to convince people that they need to do that because of TERRORISM, and righteous people who do nothing wrong have nothing to fear. lol
I am not so sure about this. I think there are a lot of people who value their privacy a lot. I think the reason many people were so willing to give up privacy after 9/11 was because a major act of terrorism had just occurred and people saw the threat as being very real. I think a 9/11 type of event is really a very rare type of event, and the damage that occurred really could not happen again due to change in policies (not allowing even small knives on planes, not assuming that a hijacking is intended to get a ransom) and there have been a couple of failed hijackings over the years.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:50:53 PM

I am not so sure about this. I think there are a lot of people who value their privacy a lot. I think the reason many people were so willing to give up privacy after 9/11 was because a major act of terrorism had just occurred and people saw the threat as being very real. I think a 9/11 type of event is really a very rare type of event, and the damage that occurred really could not happen again due to change in policies (not allowing even small knives on planes, not assuming that a hijacking is intended to get a ransom) and there have been a couple of failed hijackings over the years.

Isn't this generally called brainwashing? People were told that they are in immediate threat (they weren't statistically) and thus would have to do this to save their lives.

HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:53:26 PM

How would Bitcoin work without the Blockchain? I don't think you 'got' the basic idea or principle of Bitcoin. It is important that every transaction is visible and accountable for by the whole network and everyone participating in Bitcoin!!!

bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:59:43 PM

Isn't this generally called brainwashing? People were told that they are in immediate threat (they weren't statistically) and thus would have to do this to save their lives.

How many 9/11 were there in the last 10 years? How many traffic accidents?
9/11 is being used as reason to remove freedom, its brainwashing indeed. Statistically you have a much higher risk of being killed in a traffic accident than in a terror attack. Despite capturing 80% of the internet traffic worldwide it didn't help to prevent the Boston killings, none of these surveillance tools actually make us more secure - it makes us more vulnerable.

ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:05:00 PM

How many 9/11 were there in the last 10 years? How many traffic accidents?
9/11 is being used as reason to remove freedom, its brainwashing indeed. Statistically you have a much higher risk of being killed in a traffic accident than in a terror attack. Despite capturing 80% of the internet traffic worldwide it didn't help to prevent the Boston killings, none of these surveillance tools actually make us more secure - it makes us more vulnerable.

Exactly. Still people are cool with all the added security following 9/11 even today. It is really sad that a nation of >300m people can't stand up for themselves.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:31:13 PM

How would Bitcoin work without the Blockchain? I don't think you 'got' the basic idea or principle of Bitcoin. It is important that every transaction is visible and accountable for by the whole network and everyone participating in Bitcoin!!!

It is important that the transactions are secure and can be verified and not be counterfeited, but it is not important that they are visible to everyone, Monero and other cryptonote coins fixed this issue, do not drink the kool-aid that your finances should be public with a thinly veiled line between you and your btc address in real world usage Smiley

Bitcoin could do this too with a DAC ontop of it that mixes the coins while removing the taint. This will come sooner or later.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:36:10 PM

It is important that the transactions are secure and can be verified and not be counterfeited, but it is not important that they are visible to everyone, Monero and other cryptonote coins fixed this issue, do not drink the kool-aid that your finances should be public with a thinly veiled line between you and your btc address in real world usage Smiley

Bitcoin could do this too with a DAC ontop of it that mixes the coins while removing the taint. This will come sooner or later.

Lets hope its good enough and not flawed like darkcoin's coinjoin.

A DAC could pool all BTC in one address and let you have a "balance" that you can withdraw whenever you want. In such a system there would literally be no taint. But first there needs to be a good DAC implementation ontop of BTC.
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:42:27 PM

I disagree with this. The fact that transactions are visible to everyone is the easiest way to confirm that a coin has not been counterfeited. if there is a hole/bug in the protocol then if all the TX are not public then it would be a long time before it would be discovered that the bug is being exploited. Additionally since most people are not technically inclined enough to audit open source code, being able to view all of the TX is the easiest way to connivence the public that coins are not being counterfeited.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:42:47 PM

So regarding BTC, I understand why people use it.
So you can't be tracked down, it's useful, it's fast, etc etc.

But do you remain anonymous because of blackhat related activities?
Do you just not want to be known?

I personally don't care. I just think that BTC is a great investment for me.
Is Anonymity not that important to you?

I don't use it because it's difficult to trace, but because 1) it's a promising investment and 2) I directly control my money.

Anonymity isn't important to me because I have no intentions of doing anything illegal, and I don't have a wife to hide any 'interesting' purchases from Smiley
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:22:07 PM

Why Anonymity so important to you?
Well, I believe in financial freedom and don't want to pay any taxes to my local tax office for something what is my investment and financial future Smiley

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
NapoleonBonaparte

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:40:10 PM

Anonymity is important to avoid getting robbed from people and government.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:55:43 PM

Anonymity is important if you want to kidnap or assassinate someone and get paid without consequence.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:47:32 AM

Anonymity is important if you want to kidnap or assassinate someone and get paid without consequence.

I never thought about that, cryptocurrency is really awesome for ransom!

I discover a new way to use BTC each day. Amazing.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: