Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 02:32:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Risers not working...what can I try?  (Read 1194 times)
bronco67 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:56:36 AM

I have an Asrock z87 Extreme 9/ac. I can get 4 cards running properly without risers.

I f I use any number of risers, powered or not -- Windows 7 will either not boot all the way to desktop, or it will boot but one or more of the cards will have a code 43 error.

I've ordered new riser cables, just to see if the one I bought were crap...but can anyone think of something that can help make this setup work with cables?

note:when I say it "won't boot", I think it actually is booting -- but I can't see video. I suspect this because on the next reboot I'll get the "windows did not load properly" message.
repairguy

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:13:43 AM

First of all, you are posting in the wrong area.  Secondly what cards are you using
bronco67 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:36:19 AM

780ti for the slot one, and the rest are 760's. I'm using 16x to 16x cables.

Keep in mind, all four cards read when not using risers.

bronco67 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:53:14 AM

Strange, this was moved from the correct forum to the wrong one....anyway, I found this pic.

https://i.imgur.com/LRieMQx.gif

Would shorting the presence jumper work?
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:14:04 PM

I have an Asrock z87 Extreme 9/ac. I can get 4 cards running properly without risers.

I f I use any number of risers, powered or not -- Windows 7 will either not boot all the way to desktop, or it will boot but one or more of the cards will have a code 43 error.

I've ordered new riser cables, just to see if the one I bought were crap...but can anyone think of something that can help make this setup work with cables?

note:when I say it "won't boot", I think it actually is booting -- but I can't see video. I suspect this because on the next reboot I'll get the "windows did not load properly" message.

Why do u use x16 risers, using x1 to x16 has showed most compatibile so far to me.
Borrow some of those risers and then try giving it a go, i have many boards with 5x gpus and 4x gpus, all on x1 riser.
Dont have your board tho, but i wouldnt consider pin shorting as it may have some consequences.

cheers
bronco67 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:17:43 PM

Why do u use x16 risers, using x1 to x16 has showed most compatibile so far to me.
Borrow some of those risers and then try giving it a go, i have many boards with 5x gpus and 4x gpus, all on x1 riser.
Dont have your board tho, but i wouldnt consider pin shorting as it may have some consequences.

cheers

I'm doing 3d rendering with my GPUs, so I want maximum bandwidth. I'm assuming 1x wouldn't cut it.

I was a little worried about shorting directly on the board, but I'm going to try shorting the pins on the riser.
repairguy

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:11:28 AM

I am not familiar with the 3d rendering process, however you would be surprised how much is available on a 1x slot,  I would assume with the multi gpu setup for rendering, the issue is processing power, not bandwidth.

Shorting the pins is not likely to make a difference.  That is only an issue when you are using 1x to 16x.

I would bet it is a problem with the risers.  How long are they?

You are also using nvida cards.  I have no experience with them on multi gpu rigs.

However, because they work perfectly when they are connected directly to the board and do not work when they are on the risers, and you are using 16x risers, the risers are likely the issue.  I have had alot of risers that are complete shit.  The wires break off of the socket or the board edge side.  I always remove the tape and hot glue over the connections down to the wires.

If you add the presence jumper, your motherboard will likely force the cards to operate at 1x.  Also if that works, then you likely have broken wires behind the 1x slot on the riser. I do not recommend that you add the jumper, but some people don't listen. ehh.  Inspect the risers really well on the connections to the wire.  they are fragile.

btcrich

Activity: 302

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:27:27 PM

Sounds like bad risers, except that all four appear to be defective.  Did you try installing just one video card at a time using a riser and trying all four risers?

This is obvious, but make sure you're not forgetting to attach the power cables to your GPU's after installing the risers.  Forgetting them could cause your system to not boot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: