Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:30:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How To ReStart Frozen GPU?  (Read 3495 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:04:20 AM

So I was toying with my 5970s overclocking ability...

Stock core MHz was 735 I believe. Bumped it up to 800 with no problems. Bumped it to 850 with no problems. Bumped it to 900 and it froze within seconds. Probably should have tried 875. :S

Anyways... is there any solution (besides disconnecting power to the machine) to restart and un-freeze a GPU once it has been frozen?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nodemaster

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 09:36:00 PM

I wonder if you still have access to the mashine if your GPU freezes?! If you are running Linux and still have access via SSH for example you could try rmmod/modprobe the driver. Or reenable the CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE combination /etc/inittab in order to kick and restart the X Server (might still be enabled in your distro) if your keyboard is still alive and being polled by the kernel. Furthermore you might be able to drop to a debug shell if you have Magic System Request enabled in your kernel. But i doubt you might be able to recover from there.

This all are no out-of-the-box solutions and chances are not too high you succeed with any of them, but you might want to tinker with this options if you are using Linux.
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 07:14:07 PM

I wonder if you still have access to the mashine if your GPU freezes?! If you are running Linux and still have access via SSH for example you could try rmmod/modprobe the driver. Or reenable the CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE combination /etc/inittab in order to kick and restart the X Server (might still be enabled in your distro) if your keyboard is still alive and being polled by the kernel. Furthermore you might be able to drop to a debug shell if you have Magic System Request enabled in your kernel. But i doubt you might be able to recover from there.

This all are no out-of-the-box solutions and chances are not too high you succeed with any of them, but you might want to tinker with this options if you are using Linux.

Hrmmm, nice idea!

You're right, just because my desktop is frozen doesn't mean that SSH shouldn't work...

I will give 'er a try, thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: