Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:56:21 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Get Free Electric, Need Help!  (Read 1213 times)
lip22 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:37:15 AM

Need some info guys... I'm extremely new to this, I'm in the Army So get Free Electricity, what am i best mining BTC or LTC? and what hardware? PM me if you can help Smiley
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:02:51 AM

Before going all gun-ho I would check with your CO about mining as it may be against regulations.

Mining LTC right now is not a good idea since ASICs are really driving up the difficulty.

For BTC mining everybody seems to think the S3 is the best option.
lip22 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:05:27 AM

I don't get free electricity, i pay a set price for my electricity and can use as much as i like so may as well be making the most of it, is what i meant to post lol, Noise, Heat or Power is not an issue I am simply after hardware that will give the most H/ps and money is not an issue for the hardware (within Reason) Smiley

cassimares

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 09:45:08 AM

Antminer s3 is the best currently, you still need to worry about removing heat also...

lip22 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:19:38 AM

thanks Smiley ive been looking at the s2 which looks better than the s3 but is sold out at the mo, also thinking about waiting for a 6t/hs to come out but was just wondering if there was anything better for someone whom isn't energy efficient consious
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:50:20 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 07:01:01 PM by Muhammed Zakir

thanks Smiley ive been looking at the s2 which looks better than the s3 but is sold out at the mo, also thinking about waiting for a 6t/hs to come out but was just wondering if there was anything better for someone whom isn't energy efficient consious

S2 isn't a better option. Buy S3. Smiley When you buy from any sites, look the review of the site in bitcointalk and other sites for your own safety. I don't know any reviews about the site but check for yourself, I think it is better : www.minersbox.com.
Kindly,
       MZ

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 02:04:42 PM

Before investing in miners, make calculations on how much your total investments plus monthly electric will be, and how much you might make in BTC, why not just buy bitcoins instead and hodl?

jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:31:21 PM

Before investing in miners, make calculations on how much your total investments plus monthly electric will be, and how much you might make in BTC, why not just buy bitcoins instead and hodl?

If you read, you'll see monthly electric is not an issue for him.

Not sure where you're located but as a prior poster said you'll have to worry about getting rid of the heat so you don't fry yourself or anything valuable.  I will add that I am surprised that the army has this kind of arrangement where they give you unlimited electricity.  You might want to double check, are there any terms to your use of electricty, or is there a max amount allowed to use?  Just check it if you have an contract or had to sign anything when you got it.  Or check your monthly bill, the back of it for instance.
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 03:41:01 PM

I did read and I don't think army will let him use unlimited free electricity to run miners all day long, which is why I recommended to him to check and be sure of that prior to investing anything.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:49:14 PM

The best idea is mining Litecoin  Roll Eyes .
Honeycutt22

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:17:06 PM

Yea, as a former enlisted guy living in the barracks I'd be a bit hesitant of this... Ultimately you are still responsible for what happens in your quarters, regardless if you don't pay or have reduced fee.

And the money you make (if you make any) will not be worth the headache of article 15, "office hours", or anything else. I'd say proceed at your own risk. Also, if they do room inspections like the Marines, they will see this thing pretty quickly and investigate it.

If you're looking get into mining for a hobby I say cool, but if you expected to supplement your income with it - probably a bad idea. Look at spending time pursuing college courses!  Tongue
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 06:48:16 PM

Any living situation where you get "free electric power" won't let you draw enough power to make any real money. Dorm room, parents' basement, military housing - forget it.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:28:54 PM

I think I saw in another thread he's in the English army, so things are different than in say the US Marine corps.

If you're living off base yeah maybe you could get away with mining.  Even if they say you have free electricity, there are explicit fine print things which 99% of Americans (and now passing the assumption onto Brits) don't read since it's usually not pertinent.  Mining would be considered beyond typical use and may not be covered.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: