Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:55:18 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Precognition anyone?  (Read 2168 times)
umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:21:28 PM

First of all, it's been hard to get anyone except my best friend to have an honest discussion about this. I'm not here to argue, just explore a subject that interests me to learn about lately. Let's keep this fun and interesting.

I've had a few notable times in my life where, while awake, I get a really really strong feeling about something. It doesn't feel like "just a hunch," i.e. "if I don't do this work now, I will likely get in trouble." When it happens, it isn't something that comes from me debating anything (i.e "should I do this work now?"). It just pops up. Recent times this has happened that really sparked my interest:

1. I was at a friends, waiting for somebody to show up. I suddenly felt like the guy was there (there was a ~30 minute time window for this), and sure enough he had just arrived. I've had similar things to this many times before.
2. I had a really big hunch something (negative in this case) was going to happen at work. No real clear factual signs suggesting this event was coming. 2 weeks later, boom. Even my dad noticed this, and said that's odd I was freaking out about it weeks before.
3. An old one, but when my grandma passed, I had a feeling she did, nobody told me for a week, then they broke the news to me. I spent a week thinking she was gone, and she actually was.

Really crazy how this stuff happens. When I was much younger, my friends and I used to joke about my "6th sense." I take a little more interest in the subject and possible causes now (even coincidence) however.

Anyone else?

noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:27:42 PM

The math suggests a world WITHOUT these kinds of coincidences would be special, but what you described isn't abnormal.

Precognition doesn't exist.

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:33:43 PM

Humans are very repetitive creatures. We do the same things daily. What you described as precognition is really just something you were expecting to happen that did happen because you have experience living life day to day. Work is the same every day. "Oh man, it's going to boring today." Work is getting harder. "Oh man, it's going to be a bad day at work today." Friends are expecting to hang out with you. "I'll have fun today." Friends are too busy. "Life at work is hard and I have no one to socialize with today." It's all how you look at what happens to you daily that you start realizing patterns and piecing it all together. It's not some sixth sense.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:40:11 PM

Humans are very repetitive creatures. We do the same things daily. What you described as precognition is really just something you were expecting to happen that did happen because you have experience living life day to day. Work is the same every day. "Oh man, it's going to boring today." Work is getting harder. "Oh man, it's going to be a bad day at work today." Friends are expecting to hang out with you. "I'll have fun today." Friends are too busy. "Life at work is hard and I have no one to socialize with today." It's all how you look at what happens to you daily that you start realizing patterns and piecing it all together. It's not some sixth sense.
I.e. it's patterns that we begin to recognize after 20, 30, 40, 50 years of repetition? Kind of like when people think they have bad luck, and thus they will?

zolace

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:46:04 PM

I.e. it's patterns that we begin to recognize after 20, 30, 40, 50 years of repetition? Kind of like when people think they have bad luck, and thus they will?
Exactly. It's patterns that you recognize. After a while, you start to guess what will happen. Sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong. But when you are right you become surprised. So yes, you get used to repetition in life and start to guess what will happen.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
cinder

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:28:11 PM

Having precognition implies the universe has determined outcome and there is no free will for any living organism.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:20:59 PM

Morgan Freeman told me that each part of the universe acts as a quantum bit in a quantum supercomputer called the Universe.

i am here.
DjPxH

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:22:55 PM

So how much would you charge me for an exclusive warning prior to a bitcoin price crash? What are your success rates and how much in advance are you able to forecast those things?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:33:34 PM

Pretty sad no one told you your grandmother had passed away for a week.

Made me think of this though.
Maybe around 2002 was out in CO for a week visiting a lady friend. Was there for 2 days and just felt odd about being there. Something just made me feel like I should be home Couldn't explain it. Decided to change my flight and return home the next day.
Returned home without telling anyone in the family. Got in late and everyone was asleep. Within minutes of walking in and putting down my luggage the phone rang. Was my aunt calling to tell my mother that her father had just passed.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:37:19 PM

I think precognition happens when the person's brain goes into a very specific scenario about something that could happen, and then what happens has a look and feel that is very close to that preconceived scenario. Because the scenario is still stored in memory, it "comes back" as a memory. Since it appears to your conscious self as a memory, then it must have been a "premonition" or whatever. Same thing with deja vu. Your mind plays out something very detailed, it happens, then the detailed memory comes back with a "woah, I was just there!"

sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:46:01 PM

Maybe around 2002 was out in CO for a week visiting a lady friend. Was there for 2 days and just felt odd about being there. Something just made me feel like I should be home Couldn't explain it. Decided to change my flight and return home the next day.
Returned home without telling anyone in the family. Got in late and everyone was asleep. Within minutes of walking in and putting down my luggage the phone rang. Was my aunt calling to tell my mother that her father had just passed.
And if you got that strange feeling and didn't go home, the next day they would have told you about the call and you would have said "I knew I should have gone home!"

And if you got that strange feeling and didn't go home and he didn't die, you would have

A) forgotten about the strange feeling and it wouldn't have been strange at all, or
B) found something else to attribute the feeling to.

I'm missing the point of your anecdotal story. What would have been interesting is if you would have gotten a strange feeling "oh my god my grandfather just died!" and then the phone rang saying he died. But getting a strange feeling then finding something to attribute it to isn't strange at all.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
shogdite

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:48:29 PM

I've read that the Aborigine believe that our dreams are a mixture of our past, present and future.

Not sure if I believe that but it could explain feelings like deja vu.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
DjPxH

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:24:37 PM

And if you got that strange feeling and didn't go home, the next day they would have told you about the call and you would have said "I knew I should have gone home!"

And if you got that strange feeling and didn't go home and he didn't die, you would have

A) forgotten about the strange feeling and it wouldn't have been strange at all, or
B) found something else to attribute the feeling to.

I'm missing the point of your anecdotal story. What would have been interesting is if you would have gotten a strange feeling "oh my god my grandfather just died!" and then the phone rang saying he died. But getting a strange feeling then finding something to attribute it to isn't strange at all.

I wonder how many times we get 'strange' feelings and actually nothing bad or strange happens. We then would of course just discard that feeling and wouldn't even remember it being there in the first place. Coincidences just strike our mind because they're remarkable when they happen. The odds of something remarkable or unusual happening aren't that small. Due to the many things that may happen, it's not far fetched that something actually happens.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
zolace

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 06:34:08 PM

I think precognition happens when the person's brain goes into a very specific scenario about something that could happen, and then what happens has a look and feel that is very close to that preconceived scenario. Because the scenario is still stored in memory, it "comes back" as a memory. Since it appears to your conscious self as a memory, then it must have been a "premonition" or whatever. Same thing with deja vu. Your mind plays out something very detailed, it happens, then the detailed memory comes back with a "woah, I was just there!"
Seems like a reasonable explanation.And how often does "precognition" and "deja vu" happen? 1% of the time, maybe? That is how we know it is just coincidence.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:41:47 PM

it is scientifically proven that humans are very much bad decision makers a lot of the time making rash quick guesswork mostly instead of well thought out decisions when on the move day to day in our fast paced lives.

so those few that have a genius for good quick decision making, statistically better than most others, maybe these rascals think they have got some sort of precognition ?

steve jobs seemed to have had the quality of knowing what people would want in the future with his insight in to new product trends often being first to deliver, and turning apple around as a near bankrupt company into at one point the biggest firm in the world pipping exxon into 2nd place
whitefly

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:07:06 PM

I know that feeling, too.
However, most time of having it was during my childhood.
Now, I have it rarely.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:05:34 PM

I don't believe in that. I guess it's just some phenomenon we experience where our mind thinks that certain events happened before others and actually get them wrong.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:06:58 PM

I don't believe it's Precognition, but rather a "six sense". I've experienced tons of times where I'm doing an activity, and then I  immediately turn and look at someone out of nowhere, kind of subconciously(im not thinking of looking at then), I've only noticed that a few times, after I looked at said person. It's like, you know when someone is around you. That's happened to me tons of times, like I'd happen to look at a certain spot, and then someone would arrive from that spot seconds later..I think that happens to most people, anyway that's what I'd call the "six sense"

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄