Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Libya  (Read 2870 times)
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:49:08 PM

Supposedly this was one of Obama's successes?

http://us.cnn.com/2014/07/20/world/l...html?hpt=hp_t2

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
hologram

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:50:18 PM

broken link

And there is no NATO in Libya, Arab are responsible for themselves there.

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:56:14 PM

http://us.cnn.com/2014/07/20/world/libya-fighting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
to me is working....
Fighting intensifies in Libya, airport control at stake
(CNN) -- Fierce fighting raged on the outskirts of Tripoli on Sunday as militias continued to battle for control of the airport in what's being called the worst fighting in Libya since the 2011 revolution.

Clashes were concentrated around the airport, the airport road and a number of residential areas where militias have fought over the past week, residents said.

At least five people have been killed, one local official said.

The latest assaults were launched by militias from the city of Misrata and an Islamist militia umbrella group in the capital known as the "Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room."
Militias battle for Tripoli airport
Murdered Libyan activist's family speaks
LIbya's political power struggle

The airport has been under the control of militia from the Western Mountains city of Zintan for the past three years.

According to residents in different parts of Tripoli, thick plumes of black smoke rose from the direction of the airport and large blasts and gunfire echoed across the city.

Speaking by phone to Libyan television on Sunday, a spokesman for the municipal council of Qasr Bin Ghasheer, the area around the airport, said at least five people from the area had been killed in the fighting so far.

'Libya's future cannot be left to one renegade general'

The spokesman, Mohammed Abdul Rahman, said it was hard to get an accurate casualty figure because of the intensity of fighting and limited movement in the area.

"Shells are falling on houses, children are terrified and most people have evacuated. ... Our area is suffering," he told the privately run al-Nabaa TV.

There was no official overall casualty figure for the fighting in other areas impacted over the last seven days.

At the airport, the Libyan government said 90% of planes parked there were damaged and images on social media showed various parts of the facility destroyed.

The United Nations and other international organizations and businesses have temporarily evacuated staff from Libya.

The U.S. Embassy in Tripoli said in a statement that some rounds from the fighting have hit near the compound, but all personnel "are safe and accounted for." It called for an end to the violence.

Addressing the U.N. Security Council on Thursday, Tarek Mitri, head of its mission in Libya, issued a stark warning.

"As the number of military actors mobilizing and consolidating their presence within the capital continues to grow, there is a mounting sense of a probable imminent and significant escalation in the conflict. The stakes are high for all sides," Mitri said.

"We are in the middle of an all-out confrontation between two major rival groups in the Libyan capital. That confrontation, born out of the deep political polarization, is playing itself out at the country's international airport." Mitri said.

Libya's Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdulaziz also addressed the Security Council. He warned of Libya heading toward becoming a "failed state."

Abdulaziz said Libya needed more international support and asked the United Nations to consider a "stabilization and institution-building mission."

He insisted that his country was not requesting foreign military intervention.

The Libyan Interim Government said earlier in the week it was discussing the possibility of requesting international forces.

Three years after the revolution and NATO military intervention that overthrew the Gadhafi regime, a weak central government has been outgunned by increasingly powerful militias.

The militia fighting for control of the airport from the city of Zintan and Misrata are among the most heavily armed in the country.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
hologram

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:57:41 PM

the second work thanks. Why you blame NATO for Arab killing themselves ?

noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:59:04 PM

I suppose we could start by pointing out that it was Gaddafi who set up the Islamist training centers in Benghazi and originally funded and armed the militias that General Haftar is currently fighting against.

An attack on Tripoli's airport is peanuts compared to the international instability that Gaddafi spread during his rule.

hologram

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:00:35 PM

Before NATO: Arab killing Arab
After: Arab killing Arab

Why blame NATO for Arab killing Arab ?

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:03:25 PM

the second work thanks. Why you blame NATO for Arab killing themselves ?
If you read the article you will understand that NATO actions brings oonly chaos to the world....

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
hologram

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:06:05 PM

If you read the article you will understand that NATO actions brings oonly chaos to the world....

Cause organized killing was better ?

In the worst case NATO operation was just useless and bad for the western taxpayer.

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:08:58 PM

MHO should just send over a "Reset Button" to Libya and all will be well. There won't even be a need for any childish hashtags.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:11:12 PM

Before NATO: Arab killing Arab
After: Arab killing Arab

Why blame NATO for Arab killing Arab ?

Before NATO, the Arabs were not killing each other. Gaddhafi kept the rebels under his leash and there was no violence. NATO created a huge political vacuum and rival clans and groups are now fighting for control.
hologram

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:16:39 PM

Before NATO, the Arabs were not killing each other. Gaddhafi kept the rebels under his leash and there was no violence. NATO created a huge political vacuum and rival clans and groups are now fighting for control.

He was killing every person he don't like as well as black immigrant... Do you know Nassim Nicholas Taleb ?

umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:29:24 PM

MHO should just send over a "Reset Button" to Libya and all will be well. There won't even be a need for any childish hashtags.
How would everything be all well if Libya was engaged in a long lasting civil war with Gaddafi at the head of things? Having celebrities hold up signs with douche chill inducing sayings is a cure all.. ...?

hodap

Activity: 306
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:36:22 PM

He was killing every person he don't like as well as black immigrant... Do you know Nassim Nicholas Taleb ?

What does Taleb have to do with Libya?
hologram

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:39:12 PM

What does Taleb have to do with Libya?

Taleb say that in geopolitic it's better to let people fight when tension come rather than "maintain stability" cause when they will fight it will be even more bloody.

Maybe we must cut Libya if there is the need but if there is some tension people must fight, we can't do something against that, if they want kill themselves they will.

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:12:48 PM

How would everything be all well if Libya was engaged in a long lasting civil war with Gaddafi at the head of things? Having celebrities hold up signs with douche chill inducing sayings is a cure all.. ...?
I have no idea what you are attempting to reference. I only use junk like twitter to examine terrorism chatter.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
umair127

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:13:38 PM

I have no idea what you are attempting to reference. I only use junk like twitter to examine terrorism chatter.
So you don't want to Bring Back "Our" Girls or Stop Koney?

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:30:54 PM

So you are talking about twitter then. In that case I'll say that many terrorist organizations rely on twitter for recruitment and the dissemination of propaganda, ignoring the platform simply because you thinks it silly, is dumb.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
umair127

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:32:28 PM

So you are talking about twitter then. In that case I'll say that many terrorist organizations rely on twitter for recruitment and the dissemination of propaganda, ignoring the platform simply because you thinks it silly, is dumb.
So you are claiming this was appropriate and successful. Wow, you really are a Regime sycophant.

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:36:20 PM

I think you're putting a criteria in place that the American people disagree with. The only immediate things Obama could do with most issues is put boots on the ground in these areas, and he won election twice campaigning against that. It's ridiculous to hypothesize that the voting public changed their mind.

The alternative is to gradually run Russia broke, which is slower but can easily happen. Or to stop interfering as much in the internal affairs of other countries.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:37:50 PM

So you are claiming this was appropriate and successful. Wow, you really are a Regime sycophant.
Though in such an age where we have seen twitter used in countless conflict and political outbursts and episodes, it isn't intelligent to ignore the impact that social media has on political and military landscapes, especially since so much of the world is so young and has grown up using these networks as primary means of social communication and informational dissemination.

Once again, just because you can't see the value in them doesn't mean that terrorist groups haven't been happily utilizing them to spread their messages and recruit youth into their forces, why you think we shouldn't fight back against that or pay attention to such tools is more than a bit beyond me.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: