Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:46:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: stolen coins  (Read 1893 times)
bitkilo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 10:29:53 PM

Yep thats right another thread on some idiot having his coins stolen. Long story short i had a small amount stolen from my blockchain wallet, now i didnt have any protection on this wallet other than a good password because it only had about $2 in it and its a good way 2 find out if someone is getting into my phone. So question is, i only use internet on my phone as i dont have a computer and always on the move and now ive been hacked or something whats the best way to upgrade protection on a andriod smart phone? If u need anymore info just ask.

FunnyHat43

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:43:03 PM

Even with a weak password an attacker would still need to know the identifier in order to access your wallet
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:45:17 PM

I would never store coins on a phone, especially on an android. Look into cold storage for long term large storage, and I would only ever keep 0.1BTC maximum on a hot wallet on a phone or online wallet.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:45:36 PM

I'd start looking at what applications you've installed in the past 2-4 weeks. Especially the most recent ones.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
abacus

Activity: 618

a clockwork miner

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

I don't know Android very well, but there are chances that you haven't been hacked in the usual sense but you could have granted yourself too much permissions to some app. If I were you I would start to look at what I installed on my phone.

There are applications like Xprivacy that let you set what permissions you want to grant to which app, but you need a rooted device and also the learning curve to use Xprivacy could be a bit long.

This is an infamous problem with Android's apps. IMO Google should really improve the overall security and privacy aspects of this OS.
bitkilo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:00:55 AM

Any ideas on how some1 would get my identifier or password so i know what to start looking for. Im not interested in coins back as i know thats not going 2 happen just dont want it 2 happen again. Today will b spent reading into secure storage.
Edit.. only recent app download is shazam and only 2 others long time ago.

williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:02:09 AM

Hint hint use xapo.com. They are fully insured

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
bitkilo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:04:17 AM

I would never store coins on a phone, especially on an android. Look into cold storage for long term large storage, and I would only ever keep 0.1BTC maximum on a hot wallet on a phone or online wallet.
This is why im still a bit sus on using bitcoin, i want to use it but if i cant keep any on my phone without the risk of it being stolen how am i ment to use it on the go, the way it needs to b used to get into mainstream.

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:10:39 AM

Yep thats right another thread on some idiot having his coins stolen. Long story short i had a small amount stolen from my blockchain wallet, now i didnt have any protection on this wallet other than a good password because it only had about $2 in it and its a good way 2 find out if someone is getting into my phone. So question is, i only use internet on my phone as i dont have a computer and always on the move and now ive been hacked or something whats the best way to upgrade protection on a andriod smart phone? If u need anymore info just ask.

I'm not sure why exactly you would be hacked for $2 worth of bitcoin, lol.  I would use google authenticator to minimize the chances of being hacked, but then you'll have to treat your phone a bit more carefully.

Hint hint use xapo.com. They are fully insured
Their withdrawal process is a bit timely and a pain in the ass, I hear.  I would just use a paper wallet.

Go to https://www.bitaddress.org  and turn off your internet, then generate a new address, and print multiple copies of it to store into safe places.
mnmShadyBTC

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:13:32 AM

Someone likely had physical access to your phone and stole the bitcoin that you had stored on it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bitkilo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:19:36 AM

Paper wallets are good if u just want 2 store your coins but i want some to use anytime i need them when im out and dont really want to dig out a piece of paper everytime i pay for something. Still along way to go before many people in mainstream will want the stress of usong bitcoin.
No 1 has used my phone but me and it dosent leave my sight.

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:25:09 AM

Paper wallets are good if u just want 2 store your coins but i want some to use anytime i need them when im out and dont really want to dig out a piece of paper everytime i pay for something. Still along way to go before many people in mainstream will want the stress of usong bitcoin.

Then it might have been compromised by an app, which is what everyone else is suggesting.  If you want to store some bitcoins for day to day use, I suggest you signup for blockchain.info (website) and use google authenticator on your phone.  Be sure you don't have any dangerous/suspicious programs installed. 
bitkilo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:27:57 AM

Then it might have been compromised by an app, which is what everyone else is suggesting.  If you want to store some bitcoins for day to day use, I suggest you signup for blockchain.info (website) and use google authenticator on your phone.  Be sure you don't have any dangerous/suspicious programs installed. 
Probably the best most simple tip i've ever received, thanks ill try that

abacus

a clockwork miner

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:05:25 AM

Probably the best most simple tip i've ever received, thanks ill try that

Be sure you have read the last sentence of monbux's post.
Because if you have given to some random app the permission to read/send text messages, then I don't think we can consider a 2 Factor Autentication so sure anymore.
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:34:45 AM

i'd hate to be limited to a phone with bitcoin. if i were, i'd try to have a separate phone for apps, and never download anything onto the phone holding the wallet. too many apps out to get your coins. Undecided
abacus

a clockwork miner

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:29:17 AM

i'd hate to be limited to a phone with bitcoin. if i were, i'd try to have a separate phone for apps, and never download anything onto the phone holding the wallet. too many apps out to get your coins. Undecided

The strange thing is that someone could argue that the less "smart" these phone are, the safer.
I mean, were the older phones so unsecure?

Well, I'm just joking, but in the meanwhile... could someone send me a copy of that bitcoin client for Symbian or Nokia OS? Smiley
bitbityay

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:35:01 AM

Perhaps you accidentally sent someone 2$ worth of coins? Or did and forgot about it?
Seems odd that the hacker has control of your wallet but only takes 2$.
Gemdealer

Activity: 33

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:22:52 PM

It does seems odd yes. Generally the human element is involved and we messed up in some way.
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:26:17 PM

Perhaps someone has access to your email address where you saved your blockhain.info identifier and they also know your password  Shocked .
PangPang

Activity: 499

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:06:02 PM

Use a long random password that has never been used on any other sites, enable 2FA, avoid clicking suspicious links or downloading suspicious files.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: