Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:12:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is a stock  (Read 3996 times)
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:40:02 PM

Bitcoin is a currency not stock.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:57:34 PM

It's green, it's round, it just fell to the ground.....is it apple, or maybe ball?
Drawing conlusions like OP is just plain and simple wrong. OP is comparing only properties that agree with his thesis, and not even mentioning ones that would bury it alive...
Low quality post just to create some FUD or something similar.

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:30:20 PM

Yep Bitcoin is a stock.

Where are the revenues, expenses, and profits?  Nope, not a stock.

Bitcoins have the attributes of and fulfill the functions of money.

You could ask the same questions about Amazon over the last decade and be equally as baffled

Wrong again.  Information from Amazon's financial statements can easily be found here.  There's nothing to be baffled about regarding Bitcoin or Amazon.  One is a publicly traded company and the other is a decentralized digital cryptocurrency.

Information on Bitcoin is even easier as it is always free and likely not manipulated by con artists. Amazon price tied to profits is pure fiction and is a figment of your imagination, you have been conned by the forces of finance. There is no difference between Bitcoin's price tied to its own imaginary fundamentals and Amazon's valuation of speculation and imagination.

Stocks when originally conceived were true ownership, today that is almost always far from the truth unless you happen to own a different class of stock than what is highly traded on the exchanges.

Huh?  I didn't say anything about being able to find information on Bitcoin, market manipulation, Amazon's share price being tied to profits, Bitcoin's price, or why stocks were originally conceived.  What I did say is that it is easy to find information from Amazon's financial statements and I provided you with a link to that information because you were "baffled" about where to find it.  Whether that information is accurate or not is an entirely different matter, not related to the topic of this thread, and irrelevant to me because I don't own or have any desire to own shares of Amazon.

You won't find these financial reports for Bitcoin, (or gold, or silver, or the dollar, or the euro, etc.) because they don't exist.  They don't exist because Bitcoin is not a publicly traded company with revenues and expenses--it's a currency.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:22:46 PM

Yep Bitcoin is a stock.

You could ask the same questions about Amazon over the last decade and be equally as baffled

Wrong again.  Information from Amazon's financial statements can easily be found here.  There's nothing to be baffled about regarding Bitcoin or Amazon.  One is a publicly traded company and the other is a decentralized digital cryptocurrency.

Information on Bitcoin is even easier as it is always free and likely not manipulated by con artists. Amazon price tied to profits is pure fiction and is a figment of your imagination, you have been conned by the forces of finance. There is no difference between Bitcoin's price tied to its own imaginary fundamentals and Amazon's valuation of speculation and imagination.

Stocks when originally conceived were true ownership, today that is almost always far from the truth unless you happen to own a different class of stock than what is highly traded on the exchanges.

Huh?  I didn't say anything about being able to find information on Bitcoin, market manipulation, Amazon's share price being tied to profits, Bitcoin's price, or why stocks were originally conceived.  What I did say is that it is easy to find information from Amazon's financial statements and I provided you with a link to that information because you were "baffled" about where to find it.  Whether that information is accurate or not is an entirely different matter, not related to the topic of this thread, and irrelevant to me because I don't own or have any desire to own shares of Amazon.

You won't find these financial reports for Bitcoin, (or gold, or silver, or the dollar, or the euro, etc.) because they don't exist.  They don't exist because Bitcoin is not a publicly traded company with revenues and expenses--it's a currency.

You mention fundamentals like it is a magic word that differentiates Bitcoin from a stock. That word alone is rather meaningless and only represents measurements you use to justify paying X$ for a stock. Bitcoin itself has far more "fundamentals" than gold silver or fiat because of its digital and service based nature.

Suggesting that Bitcoin is different because it doesn't have fundamentals is a silly argument.

Ask yourself what the hell a stock even is, what it truly is and what you are truly purchasing. It is a figment of imagination far more than Bitcoin is. If you think it isn't, do some research.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:23:41 PM

OP is comparing only properties that agree with his thesis, and not even mentioning ones that would bury it alive...

Such as.... your high quality response is so enlightening..... ummm actually not

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:09:31 AM

Yep Bitcoin is a stock.

You mention fundamentals like it is a magic word that differentiates Bitcoin from a stock. That word alone is rather meaningless and only represents measurements you use to justify paying X$ for a stock. Bitcoin itself has far more "fundamentals" than gold silver or fiat because of its digital and service based nature.

Suggesting that Bitcoin is different because it doesn't have fundamentals is a silly argument.

Ask yourself what the hell a stock even is, what it truly is and what you are truly purchasing. It is a figment of imagination far more than Bitcoin is. If you think it isn't, do some research.

You're going off on a tangent again.  I never mentioned the word "fundamentals".  Shares of stock are issued by publicly traded companies and those companies have revenues and expenses.  Bitcoin does not have revenues or expenses, because it is not a company and therefore it is not a stock.  It really is that simple.  It's not even an argument, it's just a simple fact.

Sounds like you need to take your own advice.  You might want to look into the functions and characteristics of money while you're at it too.  Bitcoin is no more a stock than the dollar, the euro, the yen, gold, or silver are.  These are all forms of money that could be used to measure revenues and expenses, but that doesn't make them companies with revenues and expenses.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:46:56 AM

Just a small correction.   A company doesn't have to be public to issue stock

But yeah bitcoin is not a stock by any stretch
gmx95

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:10:56 AM

I have decided that owning Bitcoin is no different than my shares of Netflix or my shares of Bidu or my shares of Tesla.

• Those traditional stock shares are not really ownership of anything.
    I don't get dividends.
    I would never make anything if the company were sold to another company except shares in that company.
    If the company were to get attacked by any number of external forces my investment could be zero tomorrow.
    I can vote but my votes are symbolic emblems of stupidity
    The supply is limited but at any time I can get diluted really. You can say it is unlikely but my years of experience says what happens to a stock valuation is completely out of the average guys control.
    In fact many of my stock purchases over the years did in fact become worthless.

Most common stocks are symbolic shares of nothing, that we all magically agree have value based on nothing other than enough people believe they are worth more than zero to let me trade them to some other shlep that bought into the fraud of modern securities.

Especially since there are now 100+ crypto currencies. Aren't they all just stocks in ideas that we all agree have a value more than zero.

Yep Bitcoin is a stock.

Its closer to a currency then a stock. It may also be considered a derivative, like an option.

Bitcoin and Litecoin trading platform. Up to 100% deposit bonus. Fund with credit card. http://novafxtrading.com/bitcoin-trading
nuff

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:28:45 AM

Yes Bitcoin is a stock. It is also a commodity. It's also asset. It's also currency. It's also an investment. It's also a protocol. It's also a public ledger. It's also anti-establishment. It's also a solution to a problem. It's also open source. It's also anonymity. It's also freedom.

As long as you didn't say Bitcoin is just a stock, you're absolutely right  Wink

ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 06:10:00 AM

I've also always liked thinking of Bitcoin more as a stock.  Albeit a stock with virtually limitless possibilities unlike evil fiat-based stocks!

twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 06:45:20 AM

I've also always liked thinking of Bitcoin more as a stock.  Albeit a stock with virtually limitless possibilities unlike evil fiat-based stocks!

Riiight.   So bitcoin isn't traded in evil fiat prices.    Roll Eyes
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 08:08:25 AM

OP is comparing only properties that agree with his thesis, and not even mentioning ones that would bury it alive...

Such as.... your high quality response is so enlightening..... ummm actually not

Such as Bitcoin having ALOT of attributes that Stocks don't have, and stocks having attributes that Bitcoin doesn't. I can't walk into a coffie shop with my smartphone, and buy a cup of coffie with a stock, can i? Do i really need to specify all differences? This is BitcoinTalk forum so i presume that readers have general knowlage of Bitcoin's attributes.

So, to make it stupid proof, if someone sais that "ball" and "apple" are same thing only because they are "round", "green" and "they fall to the groun in some moment", it tells more about that someone than about apple and ball.

Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 08:22:50 AM

I don't think that Bitcoin is stock, not in the real definition in market world.
We may say right now that Bitcoin is just virtual currency, still not widely accepted but on the way to become mainstream.
When this happen probably Bitcoin will become part of Forex trade but still not stock.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
AceWallen

Activity: 479

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 08:25:35 AM

Its much more then a stock. Buy shit with stock? No, cant be done

well, it can be done... you can transfer ownership in exchange for something. but that's quite a lot more work than sending some bitcoin. Grin
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:15:43 PM

Bitcoin acts like a stock now mostly because it's still so early and most people are scared to use is as currency, then find out 2 years latter now it's 100x more valuable. Like imagine buying pizzas with the thing now and finding out you could have bought a small car with it. Thats why people are HODLING hard and the whales are playing P&D games on this shit.
Bitcoin has the posibilities to act as currency, but now when it's volatile as hell.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:15:54 PM

OP made mistake. Shares present the ownership of the company. Some companies distribute decent dividends on every financial years. OP chose to buy the shares who wouldn't pay out.If the company you bought go to bankruptcy, you will have the rights to claim back the assets that belong to you. It doesn't mean you lose all. Bitcoin is  not share. The reasons is stated by many times in this thread. I don't need to repeat again.
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 08:46:20 PM

If you want to consider buying Bitcoin as an investment, I think it makes more sense to think of it as investing in a commodity (like precious metal) or an index.

Stocks represent ownership in an organization, Bitcoin isn't an organization is a resource. It's an alternative to gold or silver. Bitcoin can do something that influences it's price, whereas a stock (or the company it represents) can influence its value based on decisions it makes.

One problem I see is that if people start using Bitcoin as intended, as a currency, the value of a Bitcoin (to USD for example) is going to go down. 

Satan666

Activity: 123

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:58:37 PM

One problem I see is that if people start using Bitcoin as intended, as a currency, the value of a Bitcoin (to USD for example) is going to go down. 

I know, right?  Even Satoshi doesn't understand the intent of Bitcoin with all of that BTC he's hoarding.  People like you and me just need to keep educating the masses. Wink
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:11:35 PM

Yes Bitcoin is a stock. It is also a commodity. It's also asset. It's also currency. It's also an investment. It's also a protocol. It's also a public ledger. It's also anti-establishment. It's also a solution to a problem. It's also open source. It's also anonymity. It's also freedom.

As long as you didn't say Bitcoin is just a stock, you're absolutely right  Wink

yes threads like this focus too much on labels, and ignore its utility. bitcoin is stock-like, but it's not a stock. it's also currency-like, but it's not a currency. it's currently in a league of its own, and there is no direct comparison.. that's hwy it's so revolutionary.
Connor936

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:48:46 AM

Yep Bitcoin is a stock.

You're going off on a tangent again.  I never mentioned the word "fundamentals".  Shares of stock are issued by publicly traded companies and those companies have revenues and expenses.  Bitcoin does not have revenues or expenses, because it is not a company and therefore it is not a stock.  It really is that simple.  It's not even an argument, it's just a simple fact.

Sounds like you need to take your own advice.  You might want to look into the functions and characteristics of money while you're at it too.  Bitcoin is no more a stock than the dollar, the euro, the yen, gold, or silver are.  These are all forms of money that could be used to measure revenues and expenses, but that doesn't make them companies with revenues and expenses.

people buy stock because they want a piece of the companies future earnings. Bitcoin does not have any earnings.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: