Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:31:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a Lan pool mining compared to using bitcoind  (Read 4637 times)
kindle (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:26:02 AM

Hi I am curious, does running a local pool server distributing out 'shares' more efficient compared to using the standard bitcoind? I noticed the increase shares generation per gpu worker in a mining pool compared to solo mining using bitcoind. I was wondering if this idea of breaking the work into smaller shares like what mining pools are doing could be applied to solo mining if let say I have 6 gpu and more running. Would using normal bitcoind in solo mining cause the same work to be processed redundantly? For example, I recalled slush mentioned the need to register each gpu into individual workers on the website.

Could using remote mining server tool like that developed by puddinpop be the way to go?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JorgePasada

Activity: 61

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:02:38 PM

I'd also be interested in knowing more about this. I'm thinking about starting my own 'local pool'
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:23:53 PM

There is already an open source pool backend:  https://github.com/jgarzik/pushpool

And (see signature) xf2.org offers private mining pools as well.

JorgePasada

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:08:40 PM

There is already an open source pool backend:  https://github.com/jgarzik/pushpool

And (see signature) xf2.org offers private mining pools as well.

Thanks for this info. So question (to make sure I'm understanding this properly)

Say I have 10 cards each operating at 400khash for a total of 4ghash.

Am I correct in assuming that if I just have each card mining on it's own (IE 10 x 400khash) there's a chance that one or more of those 10 may be trying the same combination of hashes and thus reducing my overall effectiveness?

Corollary, is it then correct to assume the reason people pool their own cards it because it's more akin to having 1x 4ghash system working on the problem with no chance of duplicates, whereas the other way you might be wasting GPU power theoretically?

Does that make sense to anyone or do I not understand this at all.
xf2_org

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 01:33:05 AM

Am I correct in assuming that if I just have each card mining on it's own (IE 10 x 400khash) there's a chance that one or more of those 10 may be trying the same combination of hashes and thus reducing my overall effectiveness?

No, that's not correct.  The work you receive is always unique.

You can mine directly against bitcoind, or put a proxy in front of bitcoind (pool server) for better stats and management.

kindle (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 02:01:03 AM

You can mine directly against bitcoind, or put a proxy in front of bitcoind (pool server) for better stats and management.

Hi does the proxy in this case a pool mining server provide better allocation of work to the gpus compared to bitcoind interms of probability of solving a block. For an example, the work is divided into shares before sending to the GPU miners to hash, rather than the distributing the same entire workload to the number of GPUs available thereby creating a redundancy? (correct me if I am wrong as that is the perception I have now)

JorgePasada

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 02:32:08 AM

So what's up with things I've heard about people working on 'dead blocks' or blocks that have already been solved?

Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to wrap my head around this.
xf2_org

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 03:55:56 AM

Hi does the proxy in this case a pool mining server provide better allocation of work to the gpus compared to bitcoind interms of probability of solving a block.

The probability of solving a block is the same for everybody, and you cannot change that.  It's a function of being a cryptographic hash.

For an example, the work is divided into shares before sending to the GPU miners to hash, rather than the distributing the same entire workload to the number of GPUs available thereby creating a redundancy? (correct me if I am wrong as that is the perception I have now)

There is never any redundant work performed.

xf2_org

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 03:58:14 AM

So what's up with things I've heard about people working on 'dead blocks' or blocks that have already been solved?

At any second, a block may be "solved."  This means that everyone else in the world working on that block must stop, and restart their work.  Continuing to work after that point is known as working on a "stale block" because it is old data, and old transactions.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: