Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 09:22:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fees even higher? I'm now getting charged 19 cents USD for a 0.01 BTC transactio  (Read 876 times)
somatic (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 10:46:10 AM

What is going on? This is unsustainable. And please don't compare this to banking or credit card fees. Comparing a cryptocurrency to a 100 year old proprietary banking system makes no sense.

I don't see how Bitcoin can be used as currency like this. It's unworkable. It needs to be fixed, STAT. Are there any plans to fix it?
Josepht

Activity: 1008
Merit: 515

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 10:54:29 AM

Perhaps your transaction had to deal with a large amount of inputs. The result of that could be a large size on the blockchain. The larger the size, the higher the fees.
yakuza699

Activity: 935
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 11:59:33 AM

What is going on? This is unsustainable. And please don't compare this to banking or credit card fees. Comparing a cryptocurrency to a 100 year old proprietary banking system makes no sense.

I don't see how Bitcoin can be used as currency like this. It's unworkable. It needs to be fixed, STAT. Are there any plans to fix it?
You can send a transaction without a fee if you meet these conditions :
1.)It is smaller than 1,000 bytes.
2.)All outputs are 0.01 BTC or larger.
3.)Its priority is large enough (Transaction priority is calculated as a value-weighted sum of input age, divided by transaction size in bytes)
   For example you can send 1BTC after 144 confirmations 0.1BTC after 1440 confirms and 0.01BTC after 14400 confirms.

If you don't meet these conditions you need to pay at least 0.0001BTC(0.1mBTC)(about 0.06USD) per 1000 bytes (not sure about this because i think fee policy was changed after 0.9 release)

You may want to read this too https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 
TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:11:46 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 01:13:17 PM by TimS

(as you might infer from the above posts) The standard fee for a transaction of 2000-2999 bytes is 0.0003 BTC (~19 cents). The fact that the transaction was worth 0.01 BTC is irrelevant: if you have a large number of inputs and/or outputs, the transaction will be large (in bytes) and require a larger fee.

Bitcoin was never designed for microtransactions. I'm guessing yours were in the neighborhood of $0.25 each. As you now know, when transactions are that small, the fees are high by comparison.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:29:32 PM

It is a fixed transaction amount, meaning that those 19 cents will suffice to push a 1000 btc transaction through the network into a new address, amazing!
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:37:10 PM

i'm sure your transaction has many small inputs
that makes size of transaction becomes bigger
maybe 2,x KB = 0.0003 BTC fee = $0.19

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:39:45 PM

Shouldn't there be some kind of part of the fee be associated with the size or amount of the outputs being generated? If I do a payment to multiple recipients. Or do you think it is enough to do this via the size of the whole transaction?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: