Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:18:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin's dominance really about to be challenged?  (Read 2890 times)
joehal

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:40:45 PM

So there's no mining with NXT. Who keeps the computer making transactions online, and why ?  How are the transactions processed ? And I understand they are much faster than bitcoin ?
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:49:53 PM

So there's no mining with NXT. Who keeps the computer making transactions online, and why ?  How are the transactions processed ? And I understand they are much faster than bitcoin ?

Who and why: Everyone who wants to support the network, or to get some transaction fees (the block generator gets all fees)

Transactions: The forger that generates the block includes the transactions and signs the block. Forgers are chosen basen on the Nxt Proof of Stake algorithm (chances to forge a block a proportional to the effective stake in your account)

Block time is 1min, compared to 10min of bitcoin. Some devs are coding "Instant transactions" as we speak.
alex0909

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:03:07 PM

And a billion units.  Even if NXT survives long term, it'll take 10+ years for a single NXT to even reach $10 parity.  Even at $10/NXT, you still wouldn't be able to run large financial markets on that.

Plus, the initial PoS distribution is even worse that Satoshi having 1M btc.  In the NXT world, they'll be at least 12+ such Satoshis to rule the entire NXT kingdom. Also, many of NXT's supposed "2.0 features" are not even implemented, so they are complete vaporware.

But Shhh! don't tell the NXT zealots all this stuff.  They don't seem to care about the truth.

No thanks.

Please, show me an account or a holder of a 10% balance. Last time i checked biggest holder had 45Millions NXT (4.5%).

Vaporware? Let's see:

-Working asset exchange
-Alias
-Balance leasing
-Encrypted messaging
-5 different GUI
-Decimals
-Multi gateway
-Token

Please make some researches before trolling. Trashing is easy when undocumented. I base my thoughts on facts.

DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:04:31 PM

challenged by a scam coin

It's no scam-coin. I think it's the best shot at a true proof-of-stake mechanism, and not just a blatant rip-off of the bare bones of bitcoin with an adjusted mining algorithm, another retargeting algorithm and a funny name. But it may ultimately fail, as well. We saw promising performance with Litecoin. RIP, little silver brother of BTC...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5069

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:07:15 PM

But it may ultimately fail, as well. We saw promising performance with Litecoin. RIP, little silver brother of BTC...
Quoting you.  Let's revisit this little comment in 12 months, and compare where Litecoin is compared to NXT, mmmkay?   Cheesy
DjPxH

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:11:15 PM

But it may ultimately fail, as well. We saw promising performance with Litecoin. RIP, little silver brother of BTC...
Quoting you.  Let's revisit this little comment in 12 months, and compare where Litecoin is compared to NXT, mmmkay?   Cheesy

Ha, yeah let's do that Cheesy
I wouldn't want to bet anything on that and it's my pure gut feeling. But that'll be fun! Smiley

PRIMEDICE
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:17:40 PM

the initial PoS distribution is even worse that Satoshi having 1M btc

Let's see:

Satoshi: 1M/13.05M = 7.66%
Biggest Nxt Stakeholder: 50M/1BN = 5%
raid_n

Activity: 269

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:33:41 PM

The thing is that with any coin there will always be someone who is a late adopter and finds the distribution unfair and hence there will be the demand for a new coin n+1 no matter if it actually is needed or not.

One thing bitcoin has that no other coin has is that it is the original.

I love the feature argument that is usually made with alts on why they are so much better than bitcoin.
You may think you have the swiss army knife of cryptos but that still does not make it any better at chopping down trees.

DjPxH

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:37:47 PM

The thing is that with any coin there will always be someone who is a late adopter and finds the distribution unfair and hence there will be the demand for a new coin n+1 no matter if it actually is needed or not.

One thing bitcoin has that no other coin has is that it is the original.

I love the feature argument that is usually made with alts on why they are so much better than bitcoin.
You may think you have the swiss army knife of cryptos but that still does not make it any better at chopping down trees.

But it's a good way of trying out new features. After all, these coins coin emerge in side-chains of bitcoin. That way we could profit from their potentially unique features and still remain in the big and 'established' bitcoin universe!

PRIMEDICE
arcanum

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:24:30 PM

Sorry boyos, Bitcoin is KING.
huobi_network

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:27:43 PM

There should be a new NXT which is initially distributed according to the bitcoin blockchain, as described by Peter R (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563972.0), rather than IPO. Assuming the blockchain bootstrap could be implemented, that would have all the great features of NXT while incorporating the entire bitcoin investor base. Whichever 2.0 coin does this is the one that will win.

Interesting idea there. It may be that a usurper uses this route to dominance in later years. But lets be honest that isnt going to be popular with users of altcoins that have bought in specifically to acquire early adopter status in the nxt big thing.

Anyway this is a bitcoin forum. Can we get back on topic please!

But it will be very popular with bitcoin users, and there are a lot more bitcoin users/investors than altcoin users/investors.

By the way, the topic of this thread is NXT.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:30:11 PM

This is a bitcoin speculation forum. Not a forum for the discussion of altcoins.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:32:03 PM

By the way, the topic of this thread is NXT.

No it's not.  It's "Is Bitcoin's dominance really about to be challenged".

I'm not for or against NXT or any alt for that matter, but take this garbage to the alt subforum.
alex0909

Activity: 261

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:59:07 PM

Just like bitcoin haters, you guys never change. Not open for discussion. Is sad, history repeats itself.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:09:49 PM

Just like bitcoin haters, you guys never change. Not open for discussion. Is sad, history repeats itself.

There's a place for this discussion.  It's in the altcoins sub-forum.  Not here.
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:30:51 PM

There should be a new NXT which is initially distributed according to the bitcoin blockchain, as described by Peter R (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563972.0), rather than IPO. Assuming the blockchain bootstrap could be implemented, that would have all the great features of NXT while incorporating the entire bitcoin investor base. Whichever 2.0 coin does this is the one that will win.

windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:49:00 PM

Soon, once bitcoin and every alt coin start being traded for free on the anonymous decentralized multigateway, people will eventually stop bitching about the IPO.

NXT won't be replaced because NXT have arguably the best developers in the crypto world. Can't replace that.
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:54:25 PM

Nxt couldn't challenge Bitcoin Dominance but Monero can in near future. Nxt is pretty innovative but people dont like pos coins and distribution method of Nxt also wasn't fair.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:12:20 PM

I own both BTC and NXT but I don't think BTC's dominance is about to be challenged by NXT. Not by a long shot. I do see NXT overtaking LTC in the future and perhaps take up to 5% of BTC's market cap but that's it. I also see nothing wrong with the distribution of NXT, it's definitely not worse than that of BTC.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 07:40:35 PM

While I don't endorse NXT and think it's a kind of lame ripple clone I think it's great if they are trolling mainline Bitcoin zealots.

Perhaps I'll buy some. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: