Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:47:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My local Boys & Girls Club of America could use your help! Donate with Bitcoin!  (Read 3384 times)
LouReed (OP)

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:44:12 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2014, 07:39:37 PM by LouReed

About a month ago I got a text from someone who saw my ad on Localbitcoins. Judging by the message the guy sent, I sorta had a bad feeling that I knew what they needed the Bitcoin for. I text the guy back and said

"Don't tell me that you are buying Bitcoin to unlock your computer from a ransomware!?"

The guy responded back

"Ok, I won't, and I won't say that it starts Crypto either"  (For the skeptics who don't know how to use Google, the ransomware was Cryptodefender.)

He then text back telling me that he was working on behalf of the local Boy's & Girl's Club of America, and that the computer that was locked was their accounting PC, and that they needed to get in it ASAP. I then sold them the Bitcoin and told him that if they were at all interested in learning more about Bitcoin, he could contact me anytime and I would be more than happy to meet with them and show them how they could add Bitcoin to their donations page. I told him that the vast majority of people in the Bitcoin community were good people who want Bitcoin to succeed, and not like the scum who was responsible for the ransomware that introduced them to Bitcoin. A few days later, that I got an email from the assistant of the Chief Professional Officer of the B&GC asking when I would be available to meet and explain Bitcoin to him.

The meeting was this past Thursday, and it went AWESOME! He was very interested in accepting Bitcoin for donations, and will be getting together with their website developer shortly to have them add Bitcoin. I showed him the site Coinneo.com, and explained how Coinbase and Bitpay work and that they would turn any Bitcoin payments immediately into cash and deposit said cash into their bank account daily.

Question for the community: Can anyone suggest the best Bitcoin payment processor that would be best for this situation? Or would the two places I mentioned be adequate, and of the two, which would better suit their needs?

Request from the community: The B&GC is a wonderful organization! Like any other not for profit, it goes without saying that they need every bit of money they can get, and can't afford to be giving away $550 to scammers! Lets show them how good the Bitcoin community really is by helping them at least recover the funds they lost paying the ransom! Below is their Bitcoin address. This is THEIR address, I do not have any control over it whatsoever! I will also put a Litecoin, and Dogecoin address up as well. They do not control those, but if any donations are given in either, I will convert them daily to Bitcoin, and send them to their address.

Due to the fact that there is so many scams everyday in the Crypto-Currency world, Greg, the CPO of the B&GC branch where this happened has said that if anyone wants to contact him to verify this, feel free.

So come on guys, lets show em what the Bitcoin community can do, and that the vast majority of Bitcoiners are actually very good people!

BTCitcoin:      1FA9wb3rKEj1ENjpdy4Uiey8Gzy6gPn4Wy

Litecoin:     LMY61s9T2N25mrLtdH1rbkgyMBDAc36C2A

Dogecoin:   DBsv3UdYLosmd5pmnoJ4TozvkutTyvELZw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:23:57 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2014, 12:45:36 AM by Gleb Gamow

BitPay! (I have no qualms with Coinbase)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that http://www.bgclubfoxvalley.org has been vetted and passed muster to receive a $1,000 endowment from Bitcoin 100 provided, of course, they embed a Bitcoin donation onto their website that's somewhat predominately displayed. The only other caveat is that we hope that they strongly consider BitPay as their payment provided, albeit there's no takeaway points if they choose Coinbase (with apologies for refraining from referring any other payment processor).

Once it's set up, I'll instruct Rassah to forward the funds. Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Bruno Kucinskas

PS: For some reason the link you provided doesn't function sans the last forward slash in the URL: http://www.bgclubfoxvalley.org/about-us/staff/lemke-rochon-greg/

PSS: Also, if anybody objects to the endowment due to some reasons that elude me, please voice your opinions so that they can be addressed accordingly.
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:03:04 AM

BitPay! (I have no qualms with Coinbase)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that http://www.bgclubfoxvalley.org has been vetted and passed muster to receive a $1,000 endowment from Bitcoin 100 provided, of course, they embed a Bitcoin donation onto their website that's somewhat predominately displayed. The only other caveat is that we hope that they strongly consider BitPay as their payment provided, albeit there's no takeaway points if they choose Coinbase (with apologies for refraining from referring any other payment processor).

Once it's set up, I'll instruct Rassah to forward the funds. Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Bruno Kucinskas

PS: For some reason the link you provided doesn't function sans the last forward slash in the URL: http://www.bgclubfoxvalley.org/about-us/staff/lemke-rochon-greg/

PSS: Also, if anybody objects to the endowment due to some reasons that elude me, please voice your opinions so that they can be addressed accordingly.

Wow, are you serious! Thank you very much! I have a feeling they are going to be quite shocked!! I haven't even sent Greg the link yet, this will be a pleasant surprise!

In the meeting, it sounded like he was more interested in BitPay when I was comparing the two for him. I am going to email the link for this thread to Greg now. Looking forward to hearing his response!

Thanks again!!!

Thanks for pointing out the broken link btw, it's fixed!
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:58:33 AM

Bumping!  Smiley
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:53:29 AM

Updated OP to add Litecoin & Dogecoin addresses.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:34:31 PM

Keep us abreast and PM me if anything is needed.
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:14:43 PM

Will do! I have forwarded your offer to Greg, and am waiting for him to reply.

Thanks again!
iluvpie60

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:40:01 PM

About a month ago I got a text from someone who saw my ad on Localbitcoins. Judging by the message the guy sent, I sorta had a bad feeling that I knew what they needed the Bitcoin for. I text the guy back and said

"Don't tell me that you are buying Bitcoin to unlock your computer from a ransomware!?"

The guy responded back

"Ok, I won't, and I won't say that it starts Crypto either"

He then text back telling me that he was working on behalf of the local Boy's & Girl's Club of America, and that the computer that was locked was their accounting PC, and that they needed to get in it ASAP. I then sold them the Bitcoin and told him that if they were at all interested in learning more about Bitcoin, he could contact me anytime and I would be more than happy to meet with them and show them how they could add Bitcoin to their donations page. I told him that the vast majority of people in the Bitcoin community were good people who want Bitcoin to succeed, and not like the scum who was responsible for the ransomware that introduced them to Bitcoin. A few days later, that I got an email from the assistant of the Chief Professional Officer of the B&GC asking when I would be available to meet and explain Bitcoin to him.

Your story starts off pretty shaky.. Someone is messaging you to buy bitcoins to unlock their computer from ransom ware?... that makes NO sense. You don't actually pay the ransom, you just take it to someone who removes viruses, or you plug the drive in as a slave and download everything, or purposefully crash the operating system so the virus can't function, or start in safe mode, or any number of things that can be googled and even simple people should think to search the internet for the answer first... Buying bitcoin is a little more complicated to understand than taking it somewehre to get a virus removed from your "din dang computah i reckon mmm hmm". But as soon as I read you "sold" bitcoins to a guy so he could unlock his computer for ransomware, that raises a huge RED FLAG.

This makes me think you are scamming but with a cover and anyone can make a site for themselves, I can't really prove you right or wrong either way.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 07:09:25 PM

Scouts apparently need our help. See: http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/News/159974-2014-07-22-border-official-points-gun-at-boy-scout.htm.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:50:29 PM

Hey Gleb!

I'm happy to announce that B&GC has implemented a Bitcoin donation link on their donation page. Let me know if there's anything else you need from them, and thanks again for your generous offer!
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:46:00 PM

Hey Gleb!

I'm happy to announce that B&GC has implemented a Bitcoin donation link on their donation page. Let me know if there's anything else you need from them, and thanks again for your generous offer!

And, I'm happy to announce that all looks swell, and have PM'ed/called Rassah (cooking dinner now - Yummmm!) so that he can do a quick overview and probably remit what I've committed to.

~Bruno Kucinskas
jjc326

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

One of the biggest thing is for companies and non-profits to show that they are legit and are legitimately using the BTC for their charitable purposes.  In other words there need to be more proof that the non-profit is really receiving the Bitcoin.  This stuff about unlocking their computer sounds like total BS to be honest...
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:03:07 AM

Thank you very much Gleb, for vouching for them, and Rassah for the very generous donation!!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 03:09:37 AM

i think bitpay will process BTC donations for free.

LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:10:29 AM

I'll donate to them. My kids used to love going there. Could you give me a link to their Bitcoin donation page so I can send them some coin?

Thanks man, much appreciated!

http://www.bgclubfoxvalley.org/donate
iluvpie60

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:32:58 PM

One of the biggest thing is for companies and non-profits to show that they are legit and are legitimately using the BTC for their charitable purposes.  In other words there need to be more proof that the non-profit is really receiving the Bitcoin.  This stuff about unlocking their computer sounds like total BS to be honest...

Wow, is it really that fricken hard to use Google?? Aside from not knowing how to do an internet search, do you not know how to send an email or make a phone call either? I did post the contact info for the charity in the OP, did you not see it?

Since people have such a hard time searching something to find out if they even know what they're talking about before attempting to discredit someone, and potentially causing a very well known, well meaning charity to loose donations, I'll give a hypothetical situation that might put into perspective why one would be inclined to pay a ransom to retrieve the contents of their computer.

Say I was able to somehow hack into your computer and find a folder that contained the only copy you had of your Bitcoin private key to a wallet containing 1,000 Bitcoin. I encrypt said folder with a 4096 PGP key with a 40 character pass phrase. I then send you an email stating if you send me one Bitcoin, I will send you the password to decrypt your folder. What would you do? Would you take your computer to your local computer geek and ask him to crack the password?? Well, who knows you probably would think that you could just do that. Roll Eyes

You do realize anyone can make a website, put pictures on it, put legit stuff on it, make if fully working, then ask for donations. Anyone can also answer a phone and pretend to be "anyone". I have made websites in some of my college courses and it isn't that hard to copy and paste source code from another website, register your own website, call it whatever the hell you want to make it seem legit, then grab a bunch of legit looking things. Granted you gotta shell out some money to host it and all that.

Just because you have "trust" on a forum doesn't mean you won't scam other people. Guess what, I am verified on http://www.robotzindisguise.com/forum/showthread.php?9439-PP-irobut-s-Gold-Shop-55-M  and could easily scam anyone I want. I don't do that though because I am a decent person. My forum footprint on there is way larger than yours on here.

I got unlimited botting for Runescape by competing in a very very LONG competition while working with tons of other people. So before you start lecturing us to just "fucking trust me bro I am a Hero member" how about you don't. I have seen people with more trust and higher rank and whatever scam people. Doesn't matter how much you are trusted, people really go out of their way to scam, and it is ALWAYS tempting to someone who isn't 100% against scamming. You're the one who red flagged yourself by saying a story that pretty much sounds like bullshit and might convince others. You legit had no reason to even mention that story, except to show some kind of Bravado/humble bragging. People who do that are not the people I classify as 100% trustworthy in my own experience, which severely out ranks what you have most likely been through.

just mah 2 sentz doe, nah'm Saiyan?
iluvpie60

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:38:04 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2014, 05:51:13 PM by iluvpie60

One of the biggest thing is for companies and non-profits to show that they are legit and are legitimately using the BTC for their charitable purposes.  In other words there need to be more proof that the non-profit is really receiving the Bitcoin.  This stuff about unlocking their computer sounds like total BS to be honest...

Wow, is it really that fricken hard to use Google?? Aside from not knowing how to do an internet search, do you not know how to send an email or make a phone call either? I did post the contact info for the charity in the OP, did you not see it?

Since people have such a hard time searching something to find out if they even know what they're talking about before attempting to discredit someone, and potentially causing a very well known, well meaning charity to loose donations, I'll give a hypothetical situation that might put into perspective why one would be inclined to pay a ransom to retrieve the contents of their computer.

Say I was able to somehow hack into your computer and find a folder that contained the only copy you had of your Bitcoin private key to a wallet containing 1,000 Bitcoin. I encrypt said folder with a 4096 PGP key with a 40 character pass phrase. I then send you an email stating if you send me one Bitcoin, I will send you the password to decrypt your folder. What would you do? Would you take your computer to your local computer geek and ask him to crack the password?? Well, who knows you probably would think that you could just do that. Roll Eyes

You do realize anyone can make a website, put pictures on it, put legit stuff on it, make if fully working, then ask for donations. Anyone can also answer a phone and pretend to be "anyone". I have made websites in some of my college courses and it isn't that hard to copy and paste source code from another website, register your own website, call it whatever the hell you want to make it seem legit, then grab a bunch of legit looking things. Granted you gotta shell out some money to host it and all that.

Just because you have "trust" on a forum doesn't mean you won't scam other people. Guess what, I am verified on http://www.robotzindisguise.com/forum/showthread.php?9439-PP-irobut-s-Gold-Shop-55-M  and could easily scam anyone I want. I don't do that though because I am a decent person. My forum footprint on there is way larger than yours on here.

I got unlimited botting for Runescape by competing in a very very LONG competition while working with tons of other people. So before you start lecturing us to just "fucking trust me bro I am a Hero member" how about you don't. I have seen people with more trust and higher rank and whatever scam people. Doesn't matter how much you are trusted, people really go out of their way to scam, and it is ALWAYS tempting to someone who isn't 100% against scamming. You're the one who red flagged yourself by saying a story that pretty much sounds like bullshit and might convince others. You legit had no reason to even mention that story, except to show some kind of Bravado/humble bragging. People who do that are not the people I classify as 100% trustworthy in my own experience, which severely out ranks what you have most likely been through.

Or, an easier method would be to just get off you're(your) lazy ass and do some research yourself, like I did. I called Power House Comics(You capitalize correctly here...), which google earth(Google Earth)showed was next door to the club, and asked them for a favor. I told them the phones weren't working at the boys and girls club(Boys and Girls Club) next door and I wondered (asked)if they could go over and get me a phone number from the front desk(So the phones are theoretically not working, yet you want someone to get you a phone number, nice logic on that lawl...). I then called the number they gave me and told them I wanted to donate with Bitcoins, and asked if they accepted them(This has to be turned into past tense as you "asked", which is past tense). The person asked around for a couple of minutes, then returned to the phone to tell me they just started accepting them, and then referred me to the website.<---(This sentence should be merged with this one)----> The same website that OP lists above. I guess what I'm saying is, fuck off.!!!

Doesn't sound easier to me and congrats for doing that, however, that doesn't actually prove you did it either. You COULD be making it up as well... I don't have to do anything and I could care less about what someone like you has to say about anything, especially since you told me to "fuck off" and you are clearly very stupid.

I can call you out on something and define you as "lazy" for not doing what I want you to do as well. Stop trolling dude.  

I corrected your sentences for you, like D- at best lol. I never thought I would have to use "Strikethrough" on a period, in your last sentence it shouldn't be there... Jesus Christ dude, calm down...
iluvpie60

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:52:24 PM

One of the biggest thing is for companies and non-profits to show that they are legit and are legitimately using the BTC for their charitable purposes.  In other words there need to be more proof that the non-profit is really receiving the Bitcoin.  This stuff about unlocking their computer sounds like total BS to be honest...

Just because you have "trust" on a forum doesn't mean you won't scam other people. Guess what, I am verified on http://www.robotzindisguise.com/forum/showthread.php?9439-PP-irobut-s-Gold-Shop-55-M  and could easily scam anyone I want. I don't do that though because I am a decent person. My forum footprint on there is way larger than yours on here.

Or, an easier method would be to just get off you're(your) lazy ass and do some research yourself, like I did. I called Power House Comics(You capitalize correctly here...), which google earth(Google Earth)showed was next door to the club, and asked them for a favor. I told them the phones weren't working at the boys and girls club(Boys and Girls Club) next door and I wondered (asked)if they could go over and get me a phone number from the front desk(So the phones are theoretically not working, yet you want someone to get you a phone number, nice logic on that lawl...). I then called the number they gave me and told them I wanted to donate with Bitcoins, and asked if they accepted them(This has to be turned into past tense as you "asked" which is past tense). The person asked around for a couple of minutes, then returned to the phone to tell me they just started accepting them, and then referred me to the website.<---(This sentence should be merged with this one)----> The same website that OP lists above. I guess what I'm saying is, fuck off.!!!

Doesn't sound easier to me and congrats for doing that, however that doesn't actually prove you did it either. You COULD be making it up as well... I don't have to do anything and I could care less about what someone like you has to say about anything, especially since you told me to "fuck off".

I can call you out on something and define you as "lazy" for not doing what I want you to do as well. Stop trolling dude.  

I corrected your sentences for you, like D- at best lol. I never thought I would have to use "Strikethrough" on a period in your last sentence... Jesus Christ dude, calm down...

No dude, I'm not going to calm down because you're being an asshole for no reason. Your BS may stop someone from donating to a good cause. You don't want to donate, great then go away.

How much more ironic can this get.... Your name on these forums is "Question Authority".... I did exactly that, you are "yelling" me down and it is your own name!!! Dude please just stop rofl.... There is nothing more you can add here, except irony
iluvpie60

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 06:59:43 PM

All I see is someone that already knows their wrong. You keep talking out your ass but you won't take a few minutes to pick up a phone. Vetting the company yourself is quick and painless. You won't do that though. You'll just continue to bla, bla, bla like all trolls.

Just not interested in doing that like I said, good for you that you read what me and another person said who were wary about another scam, and you looked into it and found it to be legit. Would you have looked into it without me and another saying to be wary?

So I did my part and you did yours, we each contributed in a different way.

That is my viewpoint on this so... ya....

Make it a great day!
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 11:20:58 PM

The guy responded back

"Ok, I won't, and I won't say that it starts Crypto either"  (For the skeptics who don't know how to use Google, the ransomware was Cryptodefender.)

He then text back telling me that he was working on behalf of the local Boy's & Girl's Club of America, and that the computer that was locked was their accounting PC, and that they needed to get in it ASAP. I then sold them the Bitcoin

I stopped reading right there. Ransomware scams take your money, but the computer never gets unlocked.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: