Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mcculum0010

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 04:37:27 AM

This threat seems very, very likely at some point. The cost of an attack wouldn't actually be that much to pull off. Even a short term (i.e. much cheaper) attack could completely destabilize the faith people have in Bitcoin.

Are we just waiting for an attack to occur before actually doing anything?

An attacker that isn't motivated by money will eventually attempt an attack. This isn't an "if", it's a "when".

Some billionaire, inherited wealth rich kid could completely devastate Bitcoin for under $50 Million.

Some people love to wreck shit. Rich guys that love to wreck shit? It could get ugly.

Somebody console me. I want to be wrong. What am I overlooking?

You can move to peercoin if you feel bitcoin is not safe enough, peercoin is more difficult to attack than bitcoin.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
Qsquegg

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:18:32 AM

This threat seems very, very likely at some point. The cost of an attack wouldn't actually be that much to pull off. Even a short term (i.e. much cheaper) attack could completely destabilize the faith people have in Bitcoin.

An attacker that isn't motivated by money will eventually attempt an attack. This isn't an "if", it's a "when".

Some billionaire, inherited wealth rich kid could completely devastate Bitcoin for under $50 Million.

Some people love to wreck shit. Rich guys that love to wreck shit? It could get ugly.

Perhaps the reason this wouldn't happen is because there's nothing in wrecking bitcoin for the super rich? 50million to do it maybe, but in destroying bitcoin's credibility, there'll be no value resulting from any dastardly deeds I'm pretty sure.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:19:58 AM

Perhaps the reason this wouldn't happen is because there's nothing in wrecking bitcoin for the super rich? 50million to do it maybe, but in destroying bitcoin's credibility, there'll be no value resulting from any dastardly deeds I'm pretty sure.

Correct. The effects that it would have would be meaningless, and it can be blocked easily, but it's not a reason to ignore it.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:11:12 PM

What scares me is the fact someone with a lot of money and evil intentions could buy a shit tone of ASICS and try to push a 51%+ attack in coordination. If sometimes this happens by (allegedly) accident randomly, imagine if when the pool is close to 51%+, a lot of ASICS are turned on out of nowhere in that same pool pushing the % a lot higher.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 12:11:55 PM

because its complicated?

BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:13:23 PM

What can we do about it? That's the nature of Bitcoin, you can't do anything about it, unless the majority agrees on something. And how is the majority being determined? By hashing power, that's the limiting factor and the whole idea behind Bitcoin!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:17:26 PM

I had semi similar view about this topic as you untill i dug deep into BTC problematics. Thing is, it's not that noone is doing nothing, it's that noone can not do nothing. There are few ideas floating around that could not prevent but make it more costly to execute 51% attack, but they are very complicated and could have very negative impact on BTC. Dealing with 51% attack when PoW is in question is really really really hard. If it was any easyer, it would already be done.
If you really want to "console" yourself, i urge you to read some BTC documentation. It's not as easy to attack bitcoin eather....easy in like: oh look ill just spend this 50mil$ and BTC is gone. Nope...cant happen "just like that".

ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:24:10 PM

What can we do about it? That's the nature of Bitcoin, you can't do anything about it, unless the majority agrees on something. And how is the majority being determined? By hashing power, that's the limiting factor and the whole idea behind Bitcoin!

Majority is easy. When hard fork comes, ppl will use version 1 or version 2. Version that has more users wins. No problem about it.
Problem is what exactly CAN be done? When you start digging into the topic, you find out that ppl had ton of ideas, and that every single one of them fails even in theory. This topic is nothing that can be fixed by anything shorter than "revolutionary solution", and we can agree that that kind of solutions don't come from day to day.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:25:40 PM

Source?

How did you come up with that number?

Did you just pick $50 Million because it sounds like a big number that a "rich" person could accomplish and makes it sound scary?
BowieMan

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:26:45 PM

Majority is easy. When hard fork comes, ppl will use version 1 or version 2. Version that has more users wins. No problem about it.
Problem is what exactly CAN be done? When you start digging into the topic, you find out that ppl had ton of ideas, and that every single one of them fails even in theory. This topic is nothing that can be fixed by anything shorter than "revolutionary solution", and we can agree that that kind of solutions don't come from day to day.

Yeah, a fork can be done at any time people can't agree on a specific way to adhere to bitcoin's rules. If for example tainted coins become a topic or some state forces the protocol to incorporate certain things, a hard fork may occur. People will then have to decide which chain to follow. Of course, bitcoins value will suffer greatly. But that's how it works - by definition!

PRIMEDICE
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:28:00 PM

a lot of ASICS are turned on out of nowhere in that same pool pushing the % a lot higher.

Unless the pool has evil intentions, why would this be a problem?

How long do you think the pool could remain above 51% before miners changed to other pools reducing the pool back below 51%.

What attacks could hte pool pull off that wouldn't result in the pool losing 51%?
BowieMan

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:30:59 PM

a lot of ASICS are turned on out of nowhere in that same pool pushing the % a lot higher.

Unless the pool has evil intentions, why would this be a problem?

How long do you think the pool could remain above 51% before miners changed to other pools reducing the pool back below 51%.

What attacks could hte pool pull off that wouldn't result in the pool losing 51%?

Are you serious? If the incentives to remain in that pool are high enough, people will want to rather rely on other people to leave the pool? Why should they do that themselves? We've seen that with GHash.IO. It's been above 51% and people didn't do away.
Isn't this some fallacy, or even Crab Mentality? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

PRIMEDICE
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:34:06 PM

What if the obvious and financially strong enemies of Bitcoin (Banks, PayPal and likewise) do a 51% attack to save their own ass? They sure have got a hell to win if BTC loses credibility.
Qsquegg

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:30:51 PM

What if the obvious and financially strong enemies of Bitcoin (Banks, PayPal and likewise) do a 51% attack to save their own ass? They sure have got a hell to win if BTC loses credibility.

Would this not require some serious infiltration on the part of those entities? I'm really not sure how it could ever be orchestrated, let alone with the sheer number of nodes necessary to overpower the network before the others realise what's going on. And even if it does happen, that's some serious money laundering and probably wouldn't go unnoticed in court!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 01:35:42 PM

Why does everyone think that anyone could pull this off if they had the sufficient hashrate?
Do you think that there is a walk though that one can follow for pulling off an attack like this?  Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Qsquegg

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:39:22 PM

Why does everyone think that anyone could pull this off if they had the sufficient hashrate?
Do you think that there is a walk though that one can follow for pulling off an attack like this?  Roll Eyes

Exactly!
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:42:16 PM

Ghash is the closest and they have said that they will be reducing the amount of miners if they get closer which they have been doing which I think is good as they own most of the hashing power right now but even if they didn't do that and had 51% it doesn't mean they could do the actual attack there is still some luck that they would need to perform the attack I honestly believe this attack has no threat to Bitcoin at the moment.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
ducatitalia

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:11:57 PM

Discussion has been going on for years...and will likely continue for years to come.  In the interim, this is one of the better recent topic threads I've read on the issue: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=655572.0

Top Bitrated Escrow Service: Racer Great BTC Resources: www.thebtcboss.com
Interest Free Loans: Here BTC:1MBFDLK3s9Nzk7Anfzx2GvhUo7DEBqFz7W
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:24:35 PM

Ghash is the closest and they have said that they will be reducing the amount of miners if they get closer which they have been doing which I think is good as they own most of the hashing power right now but even if they didn't do that and had 51% it doesn't mean they could do the actual attack there is still some luck that they would need to perform the attack I honestly believe this attack has no threat to Bitcoin at the moment.

Ghash won't do a 51% attack even if they could just because they earn money through bitcoins.
By double spending they would decrease the trust people has in bitcoins and their business won't work anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: