Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:37:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: UK to decriminalize file sharing  (Read 1873 times)
validium (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 06:54:04 AM

http://rt.com/uk/174744-uk-internet-fileshare-piracy/

Beginning in 2015, internet users who persistently file-share will be sent a series of warning letters explaining that their actions are illegal. However, authorities will take no further action if the user continues downloading the material.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wenben

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:12:54 AM

http://rt.com/uk/174744-uk-internet-fileshare-piracy/

Beginning in 2015, internet users who persistently file-share will be sent a series of warning letters explaining that their actions are illegal. However, authorities will take no further action if the user continues downloading the material.

Doesn't make sense.

Sharing is ok only if users also download?
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:16:08 AM

That definitely doesn't make any sense at all. Why would it be illegal? It's like a library, only remotely and easily accessible, with loads more information.
There is nothing wrong with file sharing....
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 09:21:53 AM

That definitely doesn't make any sense at all. Why would it be illegal? It's like a library, only remotely and easily accessible, with loads more information.

The people who are against file sharing basically have made it up in their heads that they've lost out on sales that they never had by looking at the amount of people downloading, just because they're downloading the game doesn't necessarily mean they're going to have given you money in the first place, in fact it's often a dual thing where people will download the file in question and often end up purchasing it if they regularly use it and like it.

Of course, anyone who is sane or understands/uses filesharing knows this, it's just the halfwits who keep pushing this legislation that don't, often I've found that the people who most complain about filesharing are the ones I have no interest in or have never heard of and they're just using filesharing as a scapegoat for their own inadequacies, yes I fucking went there.

p.s. I'm an artist and I fully support file sharing and plan to put up my work on piratebay etc. I don't care if you download my stuff.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 09:29:57 AM

I think it is the right thing to do. I have seen too many teenagers (and adults) who do not have the slightest intention of paying for digital content, including music, films and games. They even believe they have a right to download them for free!?

However, sending warning letters is not much for a deterrent.  Embarrassed
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:59:22 AM

I think it is the right thing to do. I have seen too many teenagers (and adults) who do not have the slightest intention of paying for digital content, including music, films and games. They even believe they have a right to download them for free!?

However, sending warning letters is not much for a deterrent.  Embarrassed

Personally I think the business models must change, not the people. I mean, you can't stop copying - ever. I mean sure, people still buy books - but we have the copy machine.  .. or alternatively that's just the way it is.

superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:01:45 AM

Is there anyone thinking about what is downloaded ?

Shit Hollywood movies + dumb fantasy/violent series + retarded video games for brain damaged teenagers

= mass consumerist culture

This culture deserve to die and doesn't deserve a penny.
mcculum0010

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:09:24 AM

Shit Hollywood movies + dumb fantasy/violent series + retarded video games for brain damaged teenagers

Not all, I downloaded many expensive softwares that I cannot afford like Autocad, Corel, Photoshop and many expensive Ebooks.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:15:17 AM

Not all, I downloaded many expensive softwares that I cannot afford like Autocad, Corel, Photoshop and many expensive Ebooks.

Nope :

Topping the lists this year is YIFY, which refers to the popular movie release group. The group has millions of dedicated followers who use the ‘YIFY’ tag to find its recent releases. The movies World War Z and Iron Man 3 complete the top three.

The top 10 contains three other movie title related searches: Man of Steel, Star Trek Into Darkness and Now You See Me. The search term 2013, often used to find recent movies, is listed in sixth place.

Traditionally, TV-shows are much sought after on BitTorrent as well, and it’s no different this year. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Dexter made it into the top 10, followed by The Walking Dead and Suits further down the list.

Adult related searches are surprisingly absent among the popular search terms, and the same is true for music and game searches. The only non-video search in the top 50 is Windows 8 in 40th place.

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-zeitgeist-what-people-searched-for-in-2013-131228/

Here is the list :

1. yify
2. world war z
3. iron man 3
4. breaking bad
5. man of steel
6. 2013
7. game of thrones
8. Star Trek Into Darkness
9. now you see me
10. dexter
11. pacific rim
12. the lord of the rings appendices
13. despicable me 2
14. this is the end
15. french
16. jack reacher
17. the walking dead
18. oblivion
19. a good day to die hard
20. elysium
22. suits
22. fast and furious 6
23. arrow
24. true blood
25. the conjuring
26. after earth
27. White House Down
28. Django Unchained
29. percy jackson sea of monsters
30. 2 guns
31. gangster squad
32. olympus has fallen
33. under the dome
34. jack the giant slayer
35. warm bodies
36. life of pi
37. pain and gain
38. Hansel and Gretel 2013
39. spartacus
40. windows 8
41. grown ups 2
42. 1080p
43. hindi
44. red 2
45. skyfall
46. the hobbit
47. movie 43
48. argo
49. how i met your mother
50. telugu

TheIrishman
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:16:30 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2014, 10:39:59 AM by TheIrishman

I couldn't tell the number of bands that I currently listen to - old and new - which I would never have become a fan of if I hadn't "illegally" downloaded music by them. I later bought stuff from many of those bands, something I obviously wouldn't have done if I didn't known them. I also believe I'm doing those bands a service by constantly talking to other people about them, which helps make them more popular. I'm glad to see a government show some common sense on this issue, and I gotta say I'm impressed and surprised that it was the UK government.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 03:47:40 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture

It makes all sense. Smiley

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 04:00:31 PM

lol... good luck with that.  Grin

Nowadays with tools such as VPNs, TOR and I2P, it is near to impossible to track file-sharing. If some idiot is downloading the files without any precaution, then I don't have any sympathy for him.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 04:02:54 PM

lol... good luck with that.  Grin

Nowadays with tools such as VPNs, TOR and I2P, it is near to impossible to track file-sharing. If some idiot is downloading the files without any precaution, then I don't have any sympathy for him.

Politicians usually are not so technical skilled, they think the law simply applies to the digital sphere. Files will go trough the internet in one way or another, basically it's what the internet was made for - it's silly to try to destroy the infrastructure of the internet because they don’t like something.

Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 04:33:20 PM

Is this downloading or file sharing?

Attacking downloaders and small time uploaders isn't really cost effective. Going against service providers might still be.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
TheIrishman
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:42:57 AM

The UK Did *NOT* Just Decriminalize File-Sharing

http://torrentfreak.com/the-uk-did-not-just-decriminalize-file-sharing-140723/

<< All it took yesterday was a single article to trigger off a tidal wave of copycat reports across dozens of sites including the mainstream RT.com. Just to be absolutely clear - Britain HAS NOT decriminalized file-sharing and to suggest otherwise only puts people at unnecessary risk. File-sharing remains ILLEGAL in the UK, guaranteed. >>
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:46:32 AM

The UK Did *NOT* Just Decriminalize File-Sharing

http://torrentfreak.com/the-uk-did-not-just-decriminalize-file-sharing-140723/

<< All it took yesterday was a single article to trigger off a tidal wave of copycat reports across dozens of sites including the mainstream RT.com. Just to be absolutely clear - Britain HAS NOT decriminalized file-sharing and to suggest otherwise only puts people at unnecessary risk. File-sharing remains ILLEGAL in the UK, guaranteed. >>

I was going to post exactly this. This is just an added "voluntary" measure, similar to the six strikes in the US; it doesn't protect anyone from actions copyright holders might want to take against file sharers.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 09:06:27 AM

That definitely doesn't make any sense at all. Why would it be illegal? It's like a library, only remotely and easily accessible, with loads more information. There is nothing wrong with file sharing....

You are right, there is nothing wrong with the act of file sharing, trouble is when people are sharing copyrighted files.
sintax

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:21:32 AM

Seems a bit weird that they'll bother sending warning letters when their not going to take any further action anyway  Huh
BTCmoons

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:07:40 AM

That definitely doesn't make any sense at all. Why would it be illegal? It's like a library, only remotely and easily accessible, with loads more information. There is nothing wrong with file sharing....

You are right, there is nothing wrong with the act of file sharing, trouble is when people are sharing copyrighted files.
This is accurate, there is no real need to do this. File sharing on a P2P level is very inefficient and puts users at risk of getting infected with a virus
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:18:24 AM

This is accurate, there is no real need to do this. File sharing on a P2P level is very inefficient and puts users at risk of getting infected with a virus

How do you figure p2p file sharing is very inefficient? Sure, if you're not careful with what you download and install, you could run into trouble; but otherwise, it seems a pretty good system to me.

But what we do actually need is copyright reform, and getting rid of useless middlemen.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: