Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:11:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinTalk phishing scam!  (Read 1906 times)
ofirbeigel (OP)

Activity: 257
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 10:03:12 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2014, 06:42:14 AM by ofirbeigel

I've just received an email trying to sell ads on BitcoinTalk. It can from the address BitcoinTalk.ads@gmail.com.
I know this is a phishing scam since the same thing happened to me with Coindesk a few weeks ago and this email uses the same methods.

I've marked the email as phishing and if you received this email you should do so to.

Update - I've just written a blog post about the whole story.
Good luck.

99Bitcoins - We translate Bitcoin into plain English.

Bitrated user: ofir.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:08:09 AM

I'm guessing they will provide you with a BTC address to send coins to but your ad will never show up on the site since they're not the real admin right? Or are they trying to steal usernames and passwords somehow?
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:08:49 AM

Its probably not a phishing scam but just trying to scam you out of money by thinking youre getting forum adds. Somebody was scammed a bit ago like this but via the forum.
ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 10:09:49 AM

I'm guessing they will provide you with a BTC address to send coins to but your ad will never show up on the site since they're not the real admin right? Or are they trying to steal usernames and passwords somehow?

From my experience with the at "Coindesk" I almost sent out my BTC but realized it at the last moment. My guess is that they are not trying to steal usernames.

ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 10:10:19 AM

Its probably not a phishing scam but just trying to scam you out of money by thinking youre getting forum adds. Somebody was scammed a bit ago like this but via the forum.
You're correct - it's not a "phishing scam" per se...but it's still a scam.

whitefly

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:12:17 AM

How come they got your e-mail?
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:14:31 AM

You're correct - it's not a "phishing scam" per se...but it's still a scam.

I thought the same, there isn't any phishing link thus not making it a phish but it is a surefire scam.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:20:25 AM

I only use this email addy on this site and I have been getting heaps of virus, spam, phishing emails.
The site has been hacked a few times but Theymos swears the hacker could not of gotten the email list, even though they had access to the backend for like 6 months........... Interesting ay.

whitefly

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:29:03 AM

I only use this email addy on this site and I have been getting heaps of virus, spam, phishing emails.
The site has been hacked a few times but Theymos swears the hacker could not of gotten the email list, even though they had access to the backend for like 6 months........... Interesting ay.

That was exactly my thought.
Does anyone know if email list got leaked?
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:35:17 AM

The email addresses must of got leaked if this is the only place you use the email and are getting Bitcoin spam and virus emails.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:00:26 PM

Wow interesting. Although it seems that people advertising on Bitcointalk are a rather niche-group and not an especially large target audience. I guess it'll be hard finding people interested in advertising here. Where did they get the email addresses from?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
whitefly

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:09:36 PM

The email addresses must of got leaked if this is the only place you use the email and are getting Bitcoin spam and virus emails.
That's sad, I thought there weren't issues like this on this forum.
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:14:29 PM

There've been leaks before. Remember some 3/4 year ago or so, there was a major break-in and many addresses or data got stolen. Theymos had to shut the forum down for a couple of days. Spooky times!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 12:15:31 PM

I really don't think the email list got leaked. They are just sending this out to general addresses like admin@website.com and info@website.com.
Since I capture all emails sent to my site this got captured also.
Here's the latest update Smiley look at how clever these guys are...

Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:17:08 PM

I believe the forums were hacked into sometime last year and a database of emails was leaked. It was around the same time the ability to change one's own avatar was disabled.
ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 12:19:33 PM

I believe the forums were hacked into sometime last year and a database of emails was leaked. It was around the same time the ability to change one's own avatar was disabled.

Since these guys did the same thing with Coindesk (look here) I still can't believe they actually have my email. Like I said they sent it to an email address that doesn't even exist and I just captured it on the way.

whitefly

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:28:18 PM

Since these guys did the same thing with Coindesk (look here) I still can't believe they actually have my email. Like I said they sent it to an email address that doesn't even exist and I just captured it on the way.
Good to know anyway. Luckily I only use my mail for this forum.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:07:22 PM

Apparently the email list was not leaked and everyone gave me shit and said it was just me... but that is clearly not the case.
I made a thread.. inquiring about this. it was probably 3-4 months old... possibly a bit longer.

Anyways we have no evidence it was leaked.. other than my email addy getting these weird emails.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 06:22:03 PM

I very rarely conduct forum business outside of forum PMs. If "I" do, you should ask me to PGP-sign my messages.

Go reread the emails I sent out after those incidents and you'll see that I told people to assume that their email addresses were compromised.

However, since no one has ever published any accurate data from the forum's database, I tend to think that the attackers did not download large chunks of the forum's database, or at least they didn't share this data. For example, as far as I know, no one has ever published a list of Satoshi's IP addresses as used on the forum or his password hash. There have been very few cases of people complaining of increased spam on their forum email addresses, so I believe that these cases are actually unrelated to the forum (even if you think that your email address was unused anywhere else).

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 06:52:08 AM

I've just put up a detailed blog post about the whole story including all the email correspondence I had.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: