Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:29:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-07-23] Prominent Women Make Their Voices Heard at Bitcoin Conference in Ch  (Read 955 times)
epere (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:25:16 AM

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/prominent-women-make-voices-heard-bitcoin-conference-chicago/2014/07/21

Early in the North American Bitcoin Conference, Cloudhashing President Lukas Gilkey stated that, according to their market research, Bitcoin users are 99 percent male. To many, this is not breaking news. The realm has been targeted at males seemingly since the beginning simply due to the interest. Though there are successful groups such as CryptoWomen and the Women in Bitcoin meetup, the female presence in Bitcoin, at least on the surface, is staggeringly low, and that’s something that is being recognized as an obstacle between merchant adoption and mass adoption.

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:44:18 AM

“We shouldn’t marginalize women. We should just have more women on Bitcoin panels.”

The trouble with this is when they start bumping off respected and knowledgeable people just to try get any woman on the panel regardless of merit or knowledge. It happens all the time on comedy panel game shows when they need to fill their female pc quota so they end up putting any unfunny woman on who's available. I hope that doesn't sound sexist as I'm all for more women in both bitcoin and comedy (and it's good to see them cracking jokes here), but I don't think we should force these things. Women will get on board eventually but we dont need to treat them any differently.
CoinMode

Activity: 417
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:12:27 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2014, 03:18:59 PM by CoinMode

We need to bring in more people from all around the world, of all types, if we want to make this thing work. I think we can agree on that point. Perhaps the most fair approach is to purposefully spread the good news about bitcoin and avoid placing blame where it is not due. Asian and white men have thousands of years of recorded exploration into new territories of every kind imaginable. To criticize them for their pursuit of new frontiers can only be considered sexist and racist. It would be just like criticizing any group of people for some tendency that they happen to exhibit from birth. Nobody should ever be made to feel bad for something that is inborn, including a sense of adventure.

Bring in as many types of people as you can, and be careful not to succumb to the far-leftist pitfall of pointing fingers towards those who began the adventure in the first place. That is what killed the Occupy Wall Street movement immediately after inception. Nearly every person who started OWS happened to be white and male by coincidence. After a very successful beginning, catching worldwide media coverage, these white male founders were then labeled as the ones oppressing those they were trying to help. Instead of leaving OWS as an economic inequality protest, a clash of upper and lower classes, it was turned into a race and gender movement, lumping all white men in the world into one large group of corporate CEO-type oppressors. Now being looked upon as the enemy by the group that they created, the white men in leadership positions fled the movement. This video clearly shows what I am talking about (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwhlZtHhWs). It was this moment when they started censoring the free speech of all white males in OWS, and clearly you can hear people slandering the one white man who speaks out about this obvious discrimination. The racism in this video is palpable and sickening. He points that out, and they just laugh in his face and carry on being ignorant. As a result, not one goal of OWS was ever achieved.

Spread the love of bitcoin to all, equally. Don't spread hatred towards any group. Don't censor any group. We all deserve an equal voice. United we will stand, and divided we shall fall.

Here are some extremely hateful articles, if you care to get a sense of what I'm talking about. This bigoted attitude towards white men is the critique-d-jour of the mainstream media at the moment, apparently, and is a poison to be avoided at all costs.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/02/27/3341411/bitcoin-privilege/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/28/bitcoin-user-demographics-libertarian-men_n_4874727.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/04/24/new-bitcoin-movie-paints-rosy-picture-of-the-cryptocurrency/
http://reason.com/blog/2014/02/27/bitcoin-if-it-aint-dead-it-should-be-bec
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 04:13:03 PM

“We shouldn’t marginalize women. We should just have more women on Bitcoin panels.”

The trouble with this is when they start bumping off respected and knowledgeable people just to try get any woman on the panel regardless of merit or knowledge. It happens all the time on comedy panel game shows when they need to fill their female pc quota so they end up putting any unfunny woman on who's available. I hope that doesn't sound sexist as I'm all for more women in both bitcoin and comedy (and it's good to see them cracking jokes here), but I don't think we should force these things. Women will get on board eventually but we dont need to treat them any differently.

Yeah, that's the thing, if you're going to get a woman make sure she's into cryptocurrencies, it's just a fact of life that some people aren't willing to accept that women are more interested in some things than men, you don't see people going around bitching at men to go to Jewellery or go to ballet if they aren't interesting do you?

^ Jewellery is one I know from personal experience there are tons of women there, the place I go to I'm the only guy despite the fact that setting gemstones and learning to mess with gold and silver for a living is fucking awesome
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:03:18 PM

Bitcoin certainly could use a helluva alot more womens touch!

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:57:40 PM

Bitcoin certainly could use a helluva alot more womens touch!
As more merchants begin to offer discounts for paying in Bitcoin, I have to believe it will take hold among those that do most of the family shopping. Women, typically, like to be part of the coupon savers clubs at chain stores which keeps them coming back for the deals. I haven't heard much lately on Coinbase's attempts to get this thing into high gear which would likely be a major attraction for women wanting to use Bitcoin to shop with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: