Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:22:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Faucet Community Policing Project  (Read 4382 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 05:47:14 PM

I launched a new version of the Bitcoin Faucet today, with a few changes:

1. Payout is now 0.02 bitcoins (down from 0.05), to reflect the rise in value of bitcoins versus other currencies.

2. Recent Sends page, showing scrambled email addresses and (not scrambled) IP addresses of the last 100 people to get coins from the Faucet.

3. Behind the scenes, faucet payouts are bundled up and sent in batches every N minutes, to minimize the fees that the Faucet pays.

I want to recruit some trusted volunteers to be "Faucet Police" -- if somebody notices a fishy pattern of either IP addresses or email addresses, I'll give the Faucet Police the ability to temporarily stop the flow of coins from the Faucet.

If you're willing to help out and you've got a good reputation/history here on the forums, email me (gavinandresen@gmail.com) your google account information along with what time zone you're usually in, and I'll try to pick a couple handfuls of people so no matter what time of day or night, somebody will be awake and ready to turn off the spigot.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 06:48:37 PM

i am willing to help out. i am in copenhagen timezone UTC+2(summertime) or UTC+1(wintertime) Cheesy

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
BitcoinBonus

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 06:56:31 PM

As for #3 above, how many different payouts can you bundle in one transaction? Which version of bitcoind support this?
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 07:55:14 AM

Did somebody clean out the faucet, or is it just empty due to an influx of new users and nobody wanting to fill it back up?
organic

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 07:59:43 AM

... nobody wanting to fill it back up?
it's been empty at least for a week. i wanted to send back the .02 cents but when the popup said it wants .01 fees i gave up
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 08:05:57 AM

... nobody wanting to fill it back up?
it's been empty at least for a week. i wanted to send back the .02 cents but when the popup said it wants .01 fees i gave up

Oh, I was mainly talking about people in the community that have a large(r) amount of bitcoin. Historically it has been funded by donations (I think). I've added a few coins to get it started back up.
croleva

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:54:01 AM

Hello,

I'm a new user who learned about bitcoins yesterday but has been expecting an idea like this to develop for some time now. I got my .02 BTC from the faucet yesterday and plan to have dinner with an OTC user tomorrow to learn more about using bitcoins and to make a cash purchase.

I'm writing because I have a suggestion for the faucet. I recognize that the faucet runs out often due to abuse. This is a problem because new users find the faucet helpful for learning about transacting with bitcoins. I'd like to suggest that the faucet's output adjust automatically according to the value of BTC relative to dollars, euros, both, whatever. A constant value, however low, will require constant tweaking due to excess value. This could keep it predictable.

When I get my first 500 BTC, the faucet will be my first donation destination.

Thanks for your effort!
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:20:20 PM

People turn the faucet off. It's clearly being drained by a bot
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:24:58 PM

People turn the faucet off. It's clearly being drained by a bot

What makes you think so?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:29:02 PM

In the last 4mins it lost more than 1BTC. Can't be that many people queuing up for 0.02
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:48:18 AM

I see it now responds with:

"Faucet is being Fixed
The Bitcoin Faucet is closed for maintenance. Please come back later."

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:41:34 AM

Hey i just discovered Bitcoins today and am very interested in receiving the 2 free bitcoins. Any idea when they will be available again?

if anyone wants to donate one or two so that i can try it out and hopefully invest more back into it in the very near future my address is   
 1EeKQFHixmMWea1ZEf5n8YA7br7759hoqL.
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:55:25 AM

Hey i just discovered Bitcoins today and am very interested in receiving the 2 free bitcoins. Any idea when they will be available again?

if anyone wants to donate one or two so that i can try it out and hopefully invest more back into it in the very near future my address is   
 1EeKQFHixmMWea1ZEf5n8YA7br7759hoqL.

Better than the faucet: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8159.msg159142#msg159142

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:00:08 AM

Thank you i'm checking it out now i think ill send in an entry!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 01:11:10 AM

I'm sending 16.44 for the faucet

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 05:46:49 PM

I'm sending 16.44 for the faucet

is it working? the website says its down.
bytepimp

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 06:12:52 PM

I think it stopped working several days ago. I submitted my address to the Faucet and I never got any coins.

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 08:20:27 PM

what a shame i was really hoping to get my free ones and try it out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: