Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:47:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many of you have 24/7 Bitcoin Nodes?  (Read 1605 times)
blumangroup

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:20:12 AM

Will buy a computer only for running bitcoin-qt and other 27/7 services. Don't want risk put my main computers under uch stress, because all of them contaim things that will be a pain to get again, and are more expensive then a computer only made for it.
Running QT 24/7 would really not (IMO) put your computer under very much stress. It uses very little computing power and very little bandwidth (now).

I think the OP was actually referring to people running a VPS or a dedicated server to be a full node to support the network. It is really not very expensive to run a VPS, they only cost a few dollars per month to run.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:08:52 AM

Will buy a computer only for running bitcoin-qt and other 27/7 services. Don't want risk put my main computers under uch stress, because all of them contaim things that will be a pain to get again, and are more expensive then a computer only made for it.
Running QT 24/7 would really not (IMO) put your computer under very much stress. It uses very little computing power and very little bandwidth (now).

I think the OP was actually referring to people running a VPS or a dedicated server to be a full node to support the network. It is really not very expensive to run a VPS, they only cost a few dollars per month to run.

The only major stress would be on the hard drive or SSD which could get quite a bit of thrashing if you have a significant upload pipe.  Other than that even a Celeron could host a node.
DoraTheBTCexplorer

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:42:29 AM

i cant afford pc upgrade or vps  Cry
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:10:58 PM

I would really like to purchase around 5 VPS so I could run 5 24/7 Bitcoin nodes just to help a little and feel I contributed.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Pony789

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:48:36 AM

Any one has a rough idea how much bandwidth is needed for running a node 24/7?

Strawbtcerries

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:02:43 PM

I cant afford even using Bitcoin QT cuz my PC is shit.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:37:39 PM

The bandwidth goes up when you are connected to more nodes. You are constantly exchanging data with some or all of them.

I think it I have seen it exceed a few gigabytes a day, at least with my computers that connected to about 20~30 others.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: