Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:54:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is ripple?  (Read 1140 times)
RDMINER (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:40:51 PM

I've read about it, but I don't understan it. Can you give me an explanation for idiots? Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:53:38 PM

Ripple is crappy unminable coin issued by a private company .

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:53:45 PM

Kinda like bitcoin, not open source.
Basically an altcoin to trade around bitcoin.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:55:44 PM

Ripple is a payment network, you can use a lot of different currencies in the system and you can even issue your own currency.

Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:56:11 PM

A altcoin which I think is dead (might be wrong)

Currently held as collateral by monbux
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:03:19 PM

Oh, and there seems to be some gross misunderstand from the previous posters, Ripple has it's own currency, ripples, which you can trade in several exchanges, the success and usefulness of the system does not rely on ripples's exchange rate.

tmbp

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:05:43 PM

Basically ripple is shit, only amateurs that don't know shit and are too stupid to comprehend Bitcoin get suckered into ripple.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:21:04 PM

Kinda like bitcoin, not open source.
Basically an altcoin to trade around bitcoin.
Which parts of Ripple are not available at https://github.com/ripple?

A altcoin which I think is dead (might be wrong)
You are wrong, Ripple is a distributed market place and payment network, it contains somethig like an altcoin though (XRP aka. "ripples") which trades "only" about as much as NXT and Dogecoin combined at the moment.

@OP:
Some more concrete questions might help. Otherwise maybe start by reading the white papers and/or the wiki on ripple.com.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 09:21:55 PM

Basically ripple is shit, only amateurs that don't know shit and are too stupid to comprehend Bitcoin get suckered into ripple.
A bit too hard on the words, but yes indeed. Ripple being closed source is just bad.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:25:27 PM

A bit too hard on the words, but yes indeed. Ripple being closed source is just bad.
Well, to you too: Which parts of Ripple are not available under an Open Source license at https://github.com/ripple ?

sealberrder

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:31:21 PM

I remember this ripple thing one year ago. Does ripple have any practical use now ? Like easier Bitcoin buying or something
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:44:47 PM

Ripple is a payment network, you can use a lot of different currencies in the system and you can even issue your own currency.

This is essentially correct.  The payment network also uses currency, also called ripples or XRP, as "stamps" for transactions.  Ripple was a big deal for the forum during its "giveaway" days.  All of the coins have been generated, so no mining, and recently there seems to be some discord among its developers.

It may be cool if you basically want to be a bank, but I could not find much value to it and sold off my small amount of xrp.

It is a clever idea that does have its charms, but it is not like bitcoin and so gets a lot of hate from many users, including statements that it is a scam. You'll have to make your own decision on that point.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 09:48:09 PM

Well. I think simplest way to explain what is Ripple is this quote:

Ripple is a form of peer to peer currency exchange that allows you to trade Bitcoin and other digital currencies for state backed currencies, without the need for a centralized clearing house. It has a design loosely inspired by the Ripple monetary system from Ryan Fugger. The native digital currency of the ripple network is ripples, which is denoted by XRP.

read more about @ https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Ripple

Regards.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:49:17 PM

it has 3 parts
ripple labs
ripple network
ripples

there is ripple labs, the company that own the wallets and manage the 'gateway/network', the best way to describe what they created is a hybrid of localbitcoins.com meets an altcoin exchange.

most people use kraken(also owned by the ripple labs guys) as the deposit method to get FIAT balances into the ripple network, and then people can swap dollars and altcoins within the network.

there is no transaction fee that deducts away your fiat/altcoin balance. but instead you have to have 'ripples' (XRP) which are deducted per transaction.

ripples (xrp) should not be considered as currency in itself, but more like the electronic postage stamps when sending transactions between people, they have no practical use outside of the ripple network, yet people blindly try to treat ripples(xrp) as an altcoin. yet you cant mine them or hold them on an offline wallet. again their only purpose and reason for people to gain/buy them is to pay the transaction fee of their trade. billions of ripples(xrp) have been created out of nothing. just a number on an sql database. and the guys at ripple labs done a giveaway at first, buy are now selling them to cover their lavish lifestyles.

there is another project coming soon called etherium which is where you use ether as the 'postage stamp' and the greedy beggers of etherium are already selling these crap things now, but wont even hand them to you until probably after winter.

in both cases rippes/ether should not be considered currency or an altcoin. they are both worthless.. for real workd matters and only to be used within the system they were created for.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:59:52 PM

Apparently people really don't get that Ripple has not much to do with XRP: The article is about to be deleted, even though it is about Ripple as a decentralized exchange, not about XRP as an "altcoin".

cocales

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:03:02 PM

Ripple is crappy unminable coin issued by a private company .

lol.

SnowGem.org - Improve upon great ideas of other cryptocurrencies
✔ Privacy ✔ Availability ✔ Profitability ✔ Longevity
Equihash - No Premine - No ICO - Masternodes soon
paycum

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:50:31 PM

ripple will probably be bigger then bitcoin in future. it can do much more, its more regulated and has a much bigger chance on global adoption. secondly in ripple you can send,trade,exchange any kind of asset that has value. so gold, silver, cryptos, fiat money, stocks and so on.

ripple is not targeting users but they target banks. they want to integrate their system into banking environments. so then people dont have to deposit but can directly buy any kind of asset within their own bank environment. most people probably will never know they are using ripple as it will be the banks backend system.

they are now testing with their first bank, fidor, in germany.

for currency lovers and traders it isnt really interesting. yes you can invest in xrp but it will be a long term investment.

and dont compare ripple with cryptos as ripple is no currency. its a payment protocol. their base currency is xrp which most people see as a crypto but its designed for anti spam meassures and other things.

basically you need a tiny amount of xrp to do transactions in the ripple system. so the bigger ripple gets the more xrp will be worth.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
bubble83

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:18:32 PM

there is another project coming soon called etherium which is where you use ether as the 'postage stamp' and the greedy beggers of etherium are already selling these crap things now, but wont even hand them to you until probably after winter.

That's the first explanation of etherium that I can understand. I don't really understand what they mean by a DAC, and I certainly don't understand what turing complete means.
d3stroy

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:23:13 PM

Some of the users explained very well to you but the best thing you can do is check their official website: https://ripple.com or search on Google or other search engines about it!

I've "minted" some ripple in the past as part of a ripplelabs (https://www.ripplelabs.com) and BOINC project. Once you were mining, you help science with your hash power. I think that it isn't available now...
God27

Activity: 364

The 4th industrial revolution!

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:42:01 AM

I've read about it, but I don't understan it. Can you give me an explanation for idiots? Thank you.

Ripple today is what the internet was in 1973. However, things happen faster these days.
                Example: The internet we know today wasn't turned on till 10 years later circa 1983(same year for the first mobile phone) Ripple will be used on a massive scale before a 10 year time frame but who knows when...

Or it can take even longer....
               Example: How long did it take from the first ISP's to have SMTP between each other.

So, Ripple is the future.

I like to think at the end of the day, transactions from inside the financial institutions of the world and backend cheap remittance options for the world will bring the appreciation of the xrp. BUT people like me can't wait to use ripple on a daily basis around the world with only a smart phone in my pocket being as efficient as I can be.

Building onto the ripple network like the smartest dude on the internet is doing building "Casheer" will have us running on never before seen efficiency in the financial industry

This kind of efficiency is only seen in newborn babies that live off a perfect amount of breast milk and doesn't pee or poop for days.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: