Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:38:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocks Corrupted in Wallet  (Read 1359 times)
JPoet (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:17:56 AM

Opened my Bitcoin wallet, got an error message that the chain was corrupt. Tried to fix and each time toward the end it havan I/O error.  When I got to bitcoin.org none of the buttons work to download a new wallet. Any clues why this happened just a few days before everything was ok.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:06:50 AM

Possibly because your hard drive is failing and files are getting corrupt.
Redownload Bitcoin Core, it works for me. Or do rescan or reindex.
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:23:13 AM

Thanks, any idea how big the block chain is?  I freed up space (had 9 gigs).  Trying again.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 12:19:16 PM

Thanks, any idea how big the block chain is?  I freed up space (had 9 gigs).  Trying again.

Blockchain at the moment need ~21GB.

Regards.
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:03:22 PM

Thanks!
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:57:04 PM

And make sure you have at least one wallet.dat backup
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:54:28 PM

I do, made it to five weeks and crashed with I/O error again.  Used the wallet just the day it broke then all of a sudden I relaunched it and I can't sync do to this error.  Well i'll try again, I have my wallet.dat backed up, thanks.
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:23:43 AM

Do you have the private key?

I would suggest using an electrum wallet like Multibit so that you don't need to download the entire blockchain.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 05:11:07 AM

Sounds like your hardware is failing. Get a new hard drive and I recommend at least 50G space for the blockchain as there are no truncation options nearing completion in the next 12 months so you will need the space. 50G from a stock standard 2TB drive is not much, heck, a lot of decent games come close to that amount.

byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 06:37:16 AM

Sounds like your hardware is failing. Get a new hard drive and I recommend at least 50G space for the blockchain as there are no truncation options nearing completion in the next 12 months so you will need the space. 50G from a stock standard 2TB drive is not much, heck, a lot of decent games come close to that amount.

Yep. You can get a new SSD just for Bitcoin, or get something like a huge 2TB HDD, which will be more than enough.
As I and Cranky said, your drive is definitely failing, otherwise stuff wouldn't get corrupted randomly.
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:11:40 AM

I am running on a SSD on a surface pro 2 so I cannot replace it.  I think the drive is ok.  Tried to re-load the entire bit core got to 12 weeks before the I/O error showed up.  My luck its all running good till I need it for a payment.  I'll need to try an external drive I guess. I have over 50G free.  Off to buy more stuff Sad
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:20:56 AM

Yep. You can get a new SSD just for Bitcoin, or get something like a huge 2TB HDD, which will be more than enough.
As I and Cranky said, your drive is definitely failing, otherwise stuff wouldn't get corrupted randomly.

Can I do an external USB drive?
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:29:51 AM

I would suggest using an electrum wallet like Multibit so that you don't need to download the entire blockchain.

The wallet is encrypted is that what you mean?
Can I safely backup a Multibit wallet ? 
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:40:37 AM

My internal is SSD and not replaceable, I'll try external.  Must be a space issue, I hope.
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:01:43 PM

Trying on a big external my only hope.  Thanks
RedDiamond

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:44:45 PM

Can I do an external USB drive?

If you have a USB 3 port in your computer then 64 GB or 128 GB USB 3 memory stick should be large and fast enough. In fact it is also possible to install the bitcoin client into same stick: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41581.0
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:20:41 PM

I'm referring to your addresses Private keys - You should be able to import them to Multibit, assuming you have them.

You should be able to back it up - I've never personally used Multibit, but I'll look around for you.
JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 07:05:08 PM

So I guess I am confused. I re-downloaded the entire block chain pointing to an external.  It worked fine.  So I bought a dedicated external and re-did it again it was done on seconds. So the external has the wallet and takes no space.  The block chain seems to be under
The ..user/appdata/roaming on the PC. 

So I can't figure out where the issue with the disk is, as now it's fine.  Wallet on external few megs the rest on my PC 23gigs.  And I still have 50 gigs.

Thanks for all your help I seem to be up and running any clues to why or how I would appreciate.  If my SSD is corrupted why is it working maybe a surface pro 2 limitation?

JPoet (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 07:26:21 PM

I'm referring to your addresses Private keys - You should be able to import them to Multibit, assuming you have them.

You should be able to back it up - I've never personally used Multibit, but I'll look around for you.

Thanks if you see my next post I am completely confused now.  Running but confused.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: