Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:42:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Retailers are missing the point of BTC  (Read 1048 times)
Room101 (OP)

Activity: 541
Merit: 362

Rules not Rulers

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:03:54 AM

As an Aussie, I have to say, all these retailers offering BTC payment are completely missing the point. Why would an American pay with BTC? A credit card is surely much much easier. It's us foreigners that need it, we get screwed by the currency conversion. At the moment the only person paying with BTC is someone that already had them, probably purchased much much cheaper, and is in effect cashing out. Nobody in their right mind would buy BTC just to purchase something online, the hassle and time involved is still ridiculous. But for something like a laptop, where currency conversion is usually around 3 -5 % of price, it could make a $100 dollar difference to everyone overseas, which would definitely drive adoption.   

Dell, Overstock et al, get your shit together!! Take my BTC!!! Save me money!! Give me the satisfaction of denying Paypal their exorbitant currency conversion fees!!

Bitcoin is the greatest form of protest there is. Vote in the only way that really counts: with your money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ucnatspel

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 06:27:46 PM

As an Aussie, I have to say, all these retailers offering BTC payment are completely missing the point. Why would an American pay with BTC? A credit card is surely much much easier. It's us foreigners that need it, we get screwed by the currency conversion. At the moment the only person paying with BTC is someone that already had them, probably purchased much much cheaper, and is in effect cashing out. Nobody in their right mind would buy BTC just to purchase something online, the hassle and time involved is still ridiculous. But for something like a laptop, where currency conversion is usually around 3 -5 % of price, it could make a $100 dollar difference to everyone overseas, which would definitely drive adoption.   

Dell, Overstock et al, get your shit together!! Take my BTC!!! Save me money!! Give me the satisfaction of denying Paypal their exorbitant currency conversion fees!!

Well that is your opinion. In my opinion it is you who is missing the point. Do you think BTC was set up so that foreigners could buy american products and not pay currency conversion rates? Roll Eyes
ScreamnShout

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:27:33 AM

This is my .02 BTC

Bitcoin will lower transaction costs for retailers vs paying via cc.

What they probably don't understand is what will be saved from charge backs or the lack thereof.
sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:36:15 AM

Waitaminute, Dell and Overstock are taking btc.  You must mean that you want others to do as they do.  Also, I think your point is about being an Aussie in USA.  Basically the generalized case is anyone who is away from their home country and has to pay currency translation fees in order to purchase.  The same thing would apply to an American in Paris, or whatever.

Anyway, I basically agree with you that at the moment purchasing with BTC is probably like a cashout.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 12:18:36 AM

This is my .02 BTC

What they probably don't understand is what will be saved from charge backs or the lack thereof.

Not just retailers, bitcoin is changing the way many companies do business. New opportunities for MSBs and micro-lending especially.

west420

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:21:22 AM

This is my .02 BTC

Not just retailers, bitcoin is changing the way many companies do business. New opportunities for MSBs and micro-lending especially.
I don't think micro-lending really would work with BTC as there are simply too many scammers out there and it is difficult to recover BTC once it has been sent/lent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: