Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:33:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A fatal error occured  (Read 3437 times)
davyseal (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:55:17 AM

Hello,

Every time I shut bitcoin core down and try to restart I get:

"A fatal error occurred. Bitcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit."

EXCEPTION: N5boost12interprocess22interprocess_exceptionE
Access is denied.
C:\Program Files\Bitcoin-qt.exe in Runaaway exception.

I save my wallet, download the software and reinstall it starts up again downloads the block chain, I have tried putting the block chain in the directory from the torrent file and first start up fine, but if I try to shut down and re start I get the error.  Please let me know what I am doing wrong or how to fix it, please dumb it down I am a beginner at this.

Thanks
Sydboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:32:21 AM

are you running the program as administrator ?
RedDiamond

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 06:01:33 AM

Have you tried to reboot your computer? It is possible that another process (torrent?) has locked some file required for bitcoin. Another possible reason for the problem is that your anti virus software prevents access to some bitcoin files.
micaman

Activity: 345
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 09:54:45 AM

In another topic with the same issue, OP apparently solved the problem by adjusting permissions:

Never mind... all I had to do to fix it was change the ownership of the .bitcoin directory and its contents so it's owned by user, and not by root.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=589725.0
RedDiamond

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:31:55 AM

In another topic with the same issue, OP apparently solved the problem by adjusting permissions:

Never mind... all I had to do to fix it was change the ownership of the .bitcoin directory and its contents so it's owned by user, and not by root.

In the other topic the operating system was Linux , in this topic op has problems with Windows.
ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:26:00 AM

This could be a number of problems, many of which are unrelated to the wallet software you are running. This happens with windows a lot.
micaman

Activity: 345
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 11:33:37 AM

In the other topic the operating system was Linux , in this topic op has problems with Windows.
You're right, but it could be a similar problem as it looks like the user has the qt installed in C:\Program Files.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 04:03:51 PM

Did you ever get this fixed?

I think this error is related to the .lock file in the data directory.

To open the data directory, go to Start -> Run, then type in:
Code:
%appdata%\Bitcoin

If there is a .lock file in this folder, delete it. If this doesn't help, as others have already mentioned there might be a permissions problem with the directory. Go up one level, then right click on the Bitcoin directory, then click properties. Click on the Security tab, then click Advanced. You should have three lines listed that look something like this (a different order is OK):

TypeNamePermissionInherited From
AllowSYSTEMFull controlAnything but <not inherited>
AllowAdministratorFull controlAnything but <not inherited>
AllowYour_UsernameFull controlAnything but <not inherited>

Also, if you click on the Owner tab, next to Current Owner you should have Your_Username listed. If any of this is different, it might be the source of the problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: