Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:02:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Computers (Other: GUI for Arch Linux?)  (Read 2264 times)
titegtnodI (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:07:03 PM

Sorry if this question has aleady been asked ... I've been looking around for hours with no solution.

If I have multiple computers, may I use the same wallet on multiple machines to increase the rate of which I generate bitcoins? If not, what would happen if multiple machines had the same private key?

As another offtopic question, on Arch Linux is there a GUI available? I'm using the daemon right now and it seems like it would be fairly simple to build one upon it so if there isn't one I could write a GTK+ one or a QT4 one.

Thank you!
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:32:00 PM

You can, but it is easier to just point the miners to one central bitcoin wallet for work.
titegtnodI (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:42:04 PM

You can, but it is easier to just point the miners to one central bitcoin wallet for work.

I'm not sure how I would do that. Right now the wallet is stored in "/var/lib/bitcoin-daemon/wallet.dat". How would I point all the miners to one central wallet? What are the disadvantages to simply copying the wallet?

Thank you for your reply!
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:04:36 PM

You don't point them all to one wallet (well, you kind of do, but not really).

You would have your bitcoin miners query the bitcoind daemon on the server computer (which can be any of the miners, to make that clear), and thus only the wallet that that computer uses will get the generated transactions. It's much less work.

With copying the wallet, eventually they would desync as the keypool was used up and they started generating new addresses for themselves. Additionally you have to have a full install of bitcoin on each computer, whereas you only need the miners and one central client in my suggestion.
titegtnodI (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:53:41 PM

You don't point them all to one wallet (well, you kind of do, but not really).

You would have your bitcoin miners query the bitcoind daemon on the server computer (which can be any of the miners, to make that clear), and thus only the wallet that that computer uses will get the generated transactions. It's much less work.

With copying the wallet, eventually they would desync as the keypool was used up and they started generating new addresses for themselves. Additionally you have to have a full install of bitcoin on each computer, whereas you only need the miners and one central client in my suggestion.

I see where you're coming from! Thank you very much! So I just use RPC or w/e to connect all the clients to my one central server. I'll definately do that thanks!

P.S. According to http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php in 6 days, 5 hours, 35 minutes there's a 95% chance I'll generate my first block and collect my first 50 bitcoins. Really!? That short amount of time I earn about $150 USD? Why shouldn't I invest in a large network of computers and make a living off of bitcoin?
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 10:04:00 PM

Short answer: mining difficulty goes up about once a week, and it gets progressively harder to find blocks. You likely wouldn't even break even.
titegtnodI (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 10:29:50 PM

Short answer: mining difficulty goes up about once a week, and it gets progressively harder to find blocks. You likely wouldn't even break even.

Okay I understand, thanks.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:47:58 PM

Right now the wallet is stored in "/var/lib/bitcoin-daemon/wallet.dat".

How in the world did it get there?!

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: