Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:11:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox creditors demand payment – In bitcoins  (Read 1017 times)
lira (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:32:18 AM

Ben McLannahan, writing in today’s Financial Times, is reporting that Mt Gox creditors in Tokyo have demanded payments to them  be paid in the form of bitcoins rather than cash. Mt Gox was once the largest online exchange but went offline in February of this year and revealed, or more accurately claimed that it had ‘lost’ 750,000 of its clients bitcoins as well as 100,000 of its own. Gox later claimed to have ‘discovered’ 200,000 lying around in an old digital file. In March of this year I wrote that $113 Million of bitcoins may be moving through the blockchain, and many of Mt Gox’s creditors appear to be somewhat doubtful that their bitcoins were, in fact, ever lost.

Daniel Kelman, a US Layer, resident in Taiwan, today informed the notified trustee to the Mt Gox bankruptcy, Nobuaki Kobayashi, of his intention to form a ‘rebel group’ of creditors seeking to receive their payments in the form of bitcoins.

At the first gathering of creditors at a Tokyo District Court on Wednesday, Daniel Kelman, a New York-qualified lawyer now resident in Taiwan, notified trustee Nobuaki Kobayashi of his plans to form a rebel group. McLannahan explains that under Japanese law, a committee representing more than half of creditors has the power to “participate” in proceedings, so long as it satisfies certain conditions and is recognized by the court as representing the interests of creditors as a whole. Kelman explained that it was their view that any large scale sale of bitcoins for cash could lead to a depressed market for Bitcoin, and that is not in the interest of the creditors.

Read more http://altcoinhunters.com/2014/07/mt-gox-creditors-demand-payment-in-bitcoins/

Brooker

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:55:08 AM

I wonder what this would do to the price if they had to buy a bulk order of coins? Could push up the price pretty high. I suspect they wont pay out in coins and will asign a fiat value and refund that way.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:52:04 AM

I wonder what this would do to the price if they had to buy a bulk order of coins? Could push up the price pretty high. I suspect they wont pay out in coins and will asign a fiat value and refund that way.

Dont you think that mt.gox should pay in whatever you had there.. It seams  dumb to get paid in fiat if u actualy had bitcoins there, and i see no reason
why someone should be forced to have their funds converted into fiat.
Anyways, anything is better than nothing..
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:00:43 PM

Are those people right who claim that all Bitcoins may be liquidated for FIAT (Yen/USD) in order to pay their FIAT debts first? Or is this nonsense? If this is in fact the case, people who have FIAT stuck there may end up getting back all of it or at least substantially more than people with BTC stuck there!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:17:47 PM

Are those people right who claim that all Bitcoins may be liquidated for FIAT (Yen/USD) in order to pay their FIAT debts first? Or is this nonsense? If this is in fact the case, people who have FIAT stuck there may end up getting back all of it or at least substantially more than people with BTC stuck there!

This will probably be the case, people with a lot of fiat pending for a withdrawal will be prioritized. This was a major fuck up from mt gox Sad
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:24:59 PM

This will probably be the case, people with a lot of fiat pending for a withdrawal will be prioritized. This was a major fuck up from mt gox Sad

Some of the missing fiat was loaned by MtGox to Tibanne, Shade3D, Bitcoin Cafe, and Karpeles himself, total about 13M$.
Kobayashi is supposed to get that fiat back: 'Repayment of the loan is currently being requested'.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:27:29 PM

Some of the missing fiat was loaned by MtGox to Tibanne, Shade3D, Bitcoin Cafe, and Karpeles himself, total about 13M$.
Kobayashi is supposed to get that fiat back: 'Repayment of the loan is currently being requested'.

I wonder how much money is going to disappear that way. Perfectly legal obligations that are in fact bogus obligations to people involved?

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: