Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:24:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Top BTC Exchanges to watch Buy/Sell orders  (Read 869 times)
banque (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:58:04 PM

Anyone has a list of the major btc exchanges where all the buy and sell orders are?

I read the Satoshi paper and there's zero mention of such exchanges, yet it appears a few exchanges now exist and they control the price via buy and sell orders, or am I wrong.

Any commodity/currency has to have an 'exchange' to refer to, I'm awar there are several, but I'm not aware of any list showing the major btc exchanges and more importantly the buy/sell orders in their system.

Maybe I'm wrong and Satoshi addressed having to have an 'exchange' or exchanges to determine a currency price, but I have read it a few times and I don't recall seeing Satoshi mention a currency exchange to set the price of btc in trades, in fact such exchanges are against his ideals, since they become centralized control of the currency.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:11:20 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2014, 02:39:05 PM by QuestionAuthority

I think this is what you're looking for:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Exchanges

And

https://bitcoinwisdom.com

When you talk about "price" it's much more complicated than just watching exchanges. The exchanges can tell you the current price but they can't tell you why the price is what it is. Multiple factors control price in any economy like supply and demand, sentiment and market psychology and technical factors including inside trading like BitPay and others do. If anyone could tell you why the price is what it is then they would be very rich.

BTCjust

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:35:15 AM

which is the "Top BTC Exchanges"?

bitstamp? btc-e? bitfinex? lakebtc?
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:50:24 AM

Anyone has a list of the major btc exchanges where all the buy and sell orders are?

I read the Satoshi paper and there's zero mention of such exchanges, yet it appears a few exchanges now exist and they control the price via buy and sell orders, or am I wrong.

Any commodity/currency has to have an 'exchange' to refer to, I'm awar there are several, but I'm not aware of any list showing the major btc exchanges and more importantly the buy/sell orders in their system.

Maybe I'm wrong and Satoshi addressed having to have an 'exchange' or exchanges to determine a currency price, but I have read it a few times and I don't recall seeing Satoshi mention a currency exchange to set the price of btc in trades, in fact such exchanges are against his ideals, since they become centralized control of the currency.

Here's a couple nice sites to get you started:

http://bitcoinity.org/markets

www.bitcoincharts.com

As a friendly word of caution, make sure you diligently research any exchanges you intend to use.

Additionally, keep in mind Bitcoin is intended to be used in a decentralized market.  Basically, it seems Satoshi assumed that Bitcoin could stand on its own merits and it would inspire others to help build a foundation around it.  That foundation would include things like exchanges, a block explorer, this community forum, etc.  There was no need to make specific plan or creation beyond the original codebase, and to do so could arguably be considered as contrary to the philosophy behind Bitcoin's purpose.    So, yes, you are correct that this also applies to current, centralized exchanges, but a decentralized exchange may be on the horizon...

Basically, just keep in mind that its a small, rapidly-changing market and there are merchants and exchanges and services popping up all the time, so many that you might miss or not hear about many of them unless you spend  a significant amount of time keeping up with things.  Inevitably, many of these turn out to be duds, but through competition, the good ideas/exchanges/merchants stick around.  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: