Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:54:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to unfollow a thread  (Read 1048 times)
tspacepilot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:23:01 PM

Hi there,  I just found the 'unwatch' button and I celebrated because I thought that this meant I wouldn't have to see anymore updates in my "show new replies" page to threads once I pressed the 'unwatch' button on them.

However, this seems to not be the case.  Threads that I have posted in, even if it was over a year ago, even if I unwatch them, they still appear in my "new replies" page whenever they get bumped.

Is there any way to truly "unwatch" a thread?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:23:53 PM

Hi there,  I just found the 'unwatch' button and I celebrated because I thought that this meant I wouldn't have to see anymore updates in my "show new replies" page to threads once I pressed the 'unwatch' button on them.

However, this seems to not be the case.  Threads that I have posted in, even if it was over a year ago, even if I unwatch them, they still appear in my "new replies" page whenever they get bumped.

The only way I know is to delete all of your posts in the thread - bit of a ball-ache.

donations not accepted
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:25:09 PM

Stop using the new replies feature. Use the watchlist feature instead.
tspacepilot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:38:55 PM

Thanks for the tip about deleting my posts in that thread.  Could be a ball ache, but I think there's one or two threads where I've only got one or two posts in there anyway.  And I'm really tired of seeing that thread bump. Smiley

Also, thanks for the pointer about the watchlist.  I guess I haven't really explored everything the forum software has to offer.
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:40:53 PM

Thanks for the tip about deleting my posts in that thread.  Could be a ball ache, but I think there's one or two threads where I've only got one or two posts in there anyway.  And I'm really tired of seeing that thread bump. Smiley

Also, thanks for the pointer about the watchlist.  I guess I haven't really explored everything the forum software has to offer.

Well , if you feel that having unwatch would remove "Show New Replies" feedback would be better , you could suggest it on the Meta section to discuss the new forum software.

Honestly, I never check those sections as I lurk on the forums a lot. I check Off-topic , Services , Economics and Meta around 12-14 hours a day.
If any post of mine gets bumped, I notice it as soon as that happens Tongue

The watchlist seems like the best place, as you would be able to opt-in selectively instead of having to opt-out every time.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:02:05 PM

Well , if you feel that having unwatch would remove "Show New Replies" feedback would be better , you could suggest it on the Meta section to discuss the new forum software.

I think that the unwatch does exactly what it says in that you are no longer watching that thread, and it will no longer feature within the Watchlist. Similarly unwatching will not remove the thread from the new replies to your posts as you have posts within that thread still.

I would hope that the new forum software introduces a fresh approach to tracking replies and threads of interest.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:27:47 PM

I think that the unwatch does exactly what it says in that you are no longer watching that thread, and it will no longer feature within the Watchlist. Similarly unwatching will not remove the thread from the new replies to your posts as you have posts within that thread still.

I would hope that the new forum software introduces a fresh approach to tracking replies and threads of interest.

Yes, new forum software would be good.

Meanwhile if you add topics to which you reply to the watchlist, and then use the Watchlist link instead of the "Show new replies" link, you will get what you want. The Watchlist link only shows threads that are on your watchlist and have new replies. If you lose interest in a thread you can remove it from your watchlist and it will no longer show up there, even if there are new replies.

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 06:40:18 AM

Do keep in mind when deleting your old posts it will change your post count and it can affect your running sig campaign. I think this is the best option:

one can always check out the watch list and reply to the threads accordingly.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 09:04:03 AM

Exactly. The watchlist shows posts that are on your watchlist and have new replies.

tspacepilot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:05:40 PM

Exactly. The watchlist shows posts that are on your watchlist and have new replies.

Interesting, I appreciate the clarifications about the software.  I'll be using the watchlist a little more nowadays.  Also, because do participate in the ad campaigns, I probably won't be deleting old posts because of the way it would screw with the bookkeeping.  However, in some extreme cases, I may end up doing the delete method.

I'm going to lock this thread now as it seems more or less resolved.

Thanks again folks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: