Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:32:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two S2 Antminers on the same network conflict - how to resolve?  (Read 1276 times)
jpsmith8488 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:39:37 PM

I have two S2 Antminers (Bitmain) that I would like to run on the same network. I have set up miner #1 and have gotten it to hash successfully. When I then connect miner #2 with the same settings except for a different IP address (192.168.168.99 for #1 and 192.168.168.98 for #2). To my surprise, #2 can be pinged but it does not hash.

I decided to try an experiment to test for some form of network conflict between the two miners as a cause for the failure to hash by #2. I disconnected the successfully hashing miner #1 from the network and I then used the known successful settings from the disconnected #1 to set up #2 which I connected to the network.

With #1 disconnected, #2 promptly began hashing. From this I conclude that the reason that I can't get #2 to hash when #1 is connected to the network is because the two miners conflict in some way on the network, causing #2 to fail. Do you have any suggestions for how I can overcome this? To cover our home and outside areas, I have three Apple routers, one base station and two set as bridges.

Thank you for any advice you are able to share.
Justin
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kendog77

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:42:45 PM

I have two S2 Antminers (Bitmain) that I would like to run on the same network. I have set up miner #1 and have gotten it to hash successfully. When I then connect miner #2 with the same settings except for a different IP address (192.168.168.99 for #1 and 192.168.168.98 for #2). To my surprise, #2 can be pinged but it does not hash.

I decided to try an experiment to test for some form of network conflict between the two miners as a cause for the failure to hash by #2. I disconnected the successfully hashing miner #1 from the network and I then used the known successful settings from the disconnected #1 to set up #2 which I connected to the network.

With #1 disconnected, #2 promptly began hashing. From this I conclude that the reason that I can't get #2 to hash when #1 is connected to the network is because the two miners conflict in some way on the network, causing #2 to fail. Do you have any suggestions for how I can overcome this? To cover our home and outside areas, I have three Apple routers, one base station and two set as bridges.

Justin

The miners will not conflict if they have different static ip addresses assigned to them.

The likely cause of the problem is a conflict between something else on your network and the S2 with ip address 192.168.1.98.

I've had this happen before, and you will get intermittent connectivity when two devices (not necessarily miners) have the same ip address on your network.
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:46:03 AM

Justin

This can happen with some routers, when both devices have the same MAC address. Check if they have the same MAC address. If positive, do this:

SSH into your S2, then

Code:
ifconfig lan0 down
macchanger -r lan0
ifconfig lan0 up

as I am not familiar with antminers, I hope they have some decent distro installed, which will have the macchanger. If not, you'll have to try to install it.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install macchanger macchanger-gtk
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 03:51:19 AM

Unplug the network for one of your units, log into the unit still connected to the network. Click on Network, when Edit (next to WAN), set the 192.168.1.99 address to a free address (192.168.1.100, etc). Click Save & Apply, you can now plug the other miner into the network and you won't have a conflict.
jpsmith8488 (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:19:32 PM

Thank you Cloverme for your suggestion. Your approach solved the problem. Much appreciated.
Justin
jpsmith8488 (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:22:00 PM

Hi Psahx:
I also tried your suggestions and, while the suggestion made by Cloverme solved my problem, studying the approach you outline was a great teaching exercise for me.
Thank you for your efforts.
Justin
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:59:12 PM

Hi Psahx:
I also tried your suggestions and, while the suggestion made by Cloverme solved my problem, studying the approach you outline was a great teaching exercise for me.
Thank you for your efforts.
Justin

Based on your first post, I have assumed you already got different IPs assigned to both of your devices. That is why I have suggested to try to see, if they have the same MAC (it happened to me before, with cloned NICs to have the same MAC).

Glad you have got it figured out, anyway Smiley
d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:36:34 PM

Thank you Cloverme for your suggestion. Your approach solved the problem. Much appreciated.
Justin

So was there actually a device that was trying to use the same IP as the miner? Mobile phone or gaming system maybe?

Glad you found a solution fast!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: