Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:45:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is the best place to start to learn javascript / node.js  (Read 807 times)
Sir Bitcoin (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:02:46 PM

The title says it all. I have many great ideas to do with crypto in general but lack the ability at the moment to code them how I would like.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial for beginners so I can start to learn how to code?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:21:05 PM

check out this video with zach sims.. and google up codeacademy http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/owduja/zach-sims
Sir Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:27:39 PM

Thank you very much. Smiley
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 11:28:28 PM

I used codecademy for javascript and php and I learned alot. Enough to start my own coin flip website. I recommend it

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:30:50 PM

I used codecademy for javascript and php and I learned alot. Enough to start my own coin flip website. I recommend it

Yeah, it is quite good place to start. You can learn there:

HTML & CSS
Javascript
jQuery
Python
Ruby
PHP
APIs

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/javascript
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 11:35:41 PM

The question is do you really want to start learning that?
There is no 'best' place? What factors are deciding for something to be called a 'best place' ? You could pretty much Google this and find your answer, couldn't you?
Try this: http://bit.ly/1pO4ncB

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 11:37:22 PM

In my opinion, actually making a website is the best way though. After you finish some projects on codecademy make a bitcoin related website, using daemons and such, and you learn well that way.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:39:12 PM

I really think it depends on what level you're starting from.  If you have a strong learning in data types and algorithms and how computers work then you probably can just get started with the syntax and specifics of javascript.  If, however, you've never written any code before then you probably need to start with basics about how computers work, how data is stored and manipulated, what are the basic datatypes and how do programming languages allow you to manipulate them.
Sir Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:38:56 AM

Great! I've been using code academy and so far the website is great!
Although I am stuck on the stupid orange price part.. :/

The lesson is seen below (sorry for terrible formatting)

Don't Repeat Yourself (D.R.Y)
The D.R.Y. principle is really important in programming. No repeating!

Any time you find yourself typing the same thing, but modifying only one small part, you can probably use a function.

The 'small part' that you find yourself modifying will be the parameter. And the part that you keep repeating will be the code in the reusable block - the code inside { }.

Instructions
You are a creature of habit. Every week you buy 5 oranges. But orange prices keep changing!

You want to declare a function that calculates the cost of buying 5 oranges.
You then want to calculate the cost of the 5 all together.
Write a function that does this called orangeCost().
It should take a parameter that is the cost of an orange, and multiply it by 5.
It should log the result of the multiplication to the console.
Call the function where oranges each cost 5 dollars.
?
Hint
What is the one bit of input that changes each time? It would be the price. So give your parameter the name price. And when you call your function, put in a number for the price to see how much 5 oranges cost!

Now. What I have coded looks like this:

var orangeCost = function(price){
    console.log(price*5)
};
   orangeCost = 5

I am stumped. :/

Sir Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:07:58 PM

OOh! I got it. Thanks all.