Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:11:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help my C drive eating space  (Read 2440 times)
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 09:50:18 AM

if you where in the uk then about $200 but us is so diffrent. id also go a bit more uprange on the cpu i3s are ok for basic games but i5 or i7 are better

omgbossis21

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 09:54:13 AM

Go straight to an i7, good for years to come.  Ebay you can pick up a used 1tb really cheap, or even craigslist.  I got a unopened lg dvd burner, think it says multi writer or something.  Its a month old and still new, was keeping it for a backup though.  Are you in the states?     Get a cheap motherboard that meets your needs, I went with an asus z87-a. 
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:05:28 AM

windirstat

Download it and see what's eating all your free disk space. For people recommending him to buy a 1 TB drive for his primary OS drive, go fuck yourselves.

SSD > HDD. The end.

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 10:07:21 AM

If SSD drives make that much of a difference in your loading times and games then it's not the computer that's the problem, you go fuck yourself, I hate the idea that people are actually running around and defending badly optimised games.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 10:13:25 AM

If SSD drives make that much of a difference in your loading times and games then it's not the computer that's the problem, you go fuck yourself, I hate the idea that people are actually running around and defending badly optimised games.
How is a 20-40gb game badly optimized? The hardware just can not load is so quickly, hence SSDs.
Do you not have enough money to buy a decent SSD, hence you're complaining?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:15:26 AM

Are you retarded? No, seriously, are you actually retarded? Have you never owned an SSD? Oh, yes, let's optimize this game for this physical limitation of physical spinning disks. Oh, wait, you fucking can't.

Obviously, you MUST have years and years of experience in software optimization, right?

How is a 20-40gb game badly optimized? The hardware just can not load is so quickly, hence SSDs.

I just figured he was retarded and spouting shit out of his mouth.

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:20:26 AM

hero members bitch fight. solid state is good but if your after a cheap computer theres no point. i have pcs with solid state and normal harddrives in games it dosnt make much difference.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 10:22:10 AM

hero members bitch fight. solid state is good but if your after a cheap computer theres no point. i have pcs with solid state and normal harddrives in games it dosnt make much difference.
I'm a Senior.

Also loading every map each time in World of Warcraft doesn't make a difference? Please.
The SSD was not destined to make much difference in games anyways, but in such games (as example above) it really does.

Are you retarded? No, seriously, are you actually retarded? Have you never owned an SSD? Oh, yes, let's optimize this game for this physical limitation of physical spinning disks. Oh, wait, you fucking can't.
Obviously, you MUST have years and years of experience in software optimization, right?

I just figured he was retarded and spouting shit out of his mouth.
He's the best person for software optimization in the world, he must know what he is talking about.   Roll Eyes  Cheesy

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:23:57 AM

An SSD in a dual-core is pretty snappy. A lot more snappy than a quad-core with an HDD.

I'm a Senior.
<snip>
Also loading every map each time in World of Warcraft doesn't make a difference? Please.
The SSD was not destined to make much difference in games anyways, but in such games (as example above) it really does.

Hell, doesn't even need to be a large game. Take a look at minecraft for fucks sake. It's a night and day difference.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 10:25:44 AM

I'm a Senior.

Hell, doesn't even need to be a large game. Take a look at minecraft for fucks sake. It's a night and day difference.
Well I wasn't really referring to it as a large game, what I meant was a type of game where you have a lot of loading (levels and that).
But yes, you're right even something so simple (yet so complicated) as Minecraft has benefit from an SSD.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:30:37 AM

so you have a choice 120gb ssd or 3TB hdd i know which id choose and it isnt the ssd. ssd are great but they cost alot per GB

Unluckyduck

Activity: 359

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:33:17 AM

so you have a choice 120gb ssd or 3TB hdd i know which id choose and it isnt the ssd. ssd are great but they cost alot per GB
Amen to that. 120gb could probably only fit like 5 games on it today anyway haha.
omgbossis21

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:37:27 AM

I have a i7 4770k with a 120gb Samsung ssd and a 2tb Seagate.  SSD makes a world of difference as far as loading time, I boot to windows from a cold boot in about 7 seconds to desktop.  Most games are to large to keep on a ssd unless you have a large one.  I stick the main game I play on the ssd with the OS and the other games on my storage drive.  I don't game much but the ssd loads games way way faster.  In terms of fps it does next to nothing.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 10:37:45 AM

Your logic is beyond me.
120gb SSD = $54 http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-2-5-Inch-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406284465&sr=8-1&keywords=120gb+ssd
3TB HDD = 107$ http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-Desktop/dp/B004RORMF6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406284454&sr=8-3&keywords=3TB
At least when you're comparing products, compare ones in the right price range.

240gb SSD is enough for your main drive (way more than what you actually need).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:38:59 AM

Obviously you've been away from pricing for a while. 3 TB drive = ~$100-120. 120 GB ssd = ~$60-70.

I'd actually much rather have a 240 GB SSD over a 3 TB drive.

Your logic is beyond me.
120gb SSD = $54 http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-2-5-Inch-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406284465&sr=8-1&keywords=120gb+ssd
3TB HDD = 107$ http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-Desktop/dp/B004RORMF6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406284454&sr=8-3&keywords=3TB
At least when you're comparing products compare ones in the right price range.

That WD 3 TB drive would be absolute shit to use as a drive. 5400 RPM. It'll take a week to boot your computer with that after everything is loaded.

Also, we didn't even calculate power usage. Less than 1 watt for an SSD vs 10 watts for an hdd. Easily 10x the electricity usage!

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 10:44:40 AM

Your logic is beyond me.
At least when you're comparing products compare ones in the right price range.

That WD 3 TB drive would be absolute shit to use as a drive. 5400 RPM. It'll take a week to boot your computer with that after everything is loaded.

Also, we didn't even calculate power usage. Less than 1 watt for an SSD vs 10 watts for an hdd. Easily 10x the electricity usage!
Also it is more like 190$ for a good 3TB HDD : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2UWTHE/ref=twister_B00DI12GSM
Which is almost in the price range of a 480gb SSD.
If you get the right software and check the work hours of your HDD, you will see that this 9watt difference is a lot.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 10:50:18 AM

When you have 1TB SSD hard drives the same price as 1TB HDD drives then you can convince me but until then you're just full of shit and are trying to attack people into buying your favourite gear, this is as dumb as the AMD and Intel argument.

The reason games load so slowly now on HDD hard drives is because of their ridiculously high polygon and particle count, it's got nothing to do with the drives themselves but of course you know so much more than me and are superior in every way aren't you? Tongue Sure a 1TB SSD drive could well be worth it in a couple of years time when they get the costs down but yelling at me about how great a 120GB SSD drive is when you'll barely fit 5 games on their on top of your operating system is a fucking joke.

The technology just isn't their yet, it's like trying to convince me blu-ray is worth it because you get a slightly bigger resolution but it costs several times more when I can get HD for a perfectly reasonable price and I'm happy with it.
omgbossis21

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:54:01 AM

When you have 1TB SSD hard drives the same price as 1TB HDD drives then you can convince me but until then you're just full of shit and are trying to attack people into buying your favourite gear, this is as dumb as the AMD and Intel argument.

The reason games load so slowly now on HDD hard drives is because of their ridiculously high polygon and particle count, it's got nothing to do with the drives themselves but of course you know so much more than me and are superior in every way aren't you? Tongue Sure a 1TB SSD drive could well be worth it in a couple of years time when they get the costs down but yelling at me about how great a 120GB SSD drive is when you'll barely fit 5 games on their on top of your operating system is a fucking joke.

Your not actually suggesting that when games are well over 36gb's now that that the read/write speed of drives (and latencies) have nothing to do with loading?  A standard 7200rpm drive at 100mb/sec vs a ssd at 350+mb/sec?
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 10:56:48 AM

It will make a difference but not as much as you're suggesting, games developers have a nasty habit of just putting as much junk and shit as they can without taking into account what it will do with peoples computers, don't get me started on the bloatware DRM that they throw in. Why do you think games like Skyrim work really well compared to other games? It's because they took the time to make sure things work for the most part despite the bugs and glitches in the game, unfortunately there are so few modern examples I can give because of the complete lack of optimisation in games now.

Battlefield 4 is a classic example because they threw tons of physics into that game and lots and lots of particles/polygons so that forces the computer to work a lot harder which is why only high end computers can realistically run it at a comfortable pace and it takes so fucking long to load.

When you compare them to older games however that use much less resources and minecraft as well it's easy to see why these problems exist.
omgbossis21

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:59:02 AM

Do you have an ssd drive?  Anything I run on mine I wait for nothing.  Off my storage drive (which is 1tb not 2 I was wrong) takes a bit of time for some things.  Definitely wayyy long to load windows and large games.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: