Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:03:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows phone 8 wallet  (Read 1556 times)
matejmesar (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 09:44:01 AM

I am searching for a good windows phone 8 app for BTC wallet. I noticed an app that worked with blockchain wallet, but is no longer available. Any suggestions what to use on wp8? Preferably with qr code scanning possibility.

Thanks,

Matej
Bittter

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:13:47 AM

advise you to but Android or iOS device =) that is the best solution of the problem.
Unluckyduck

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:51:39 AM

I suggest you just use the web version of blockchain.info so you don't have the misfortune of downloading a dodgy app.
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:06:14 AM

Don't download apps from untrusted sources instead just directly connect to blockchain.info.

matejmesar (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:28:23 AM

Thanks for your answers. I'll keep them in mind. I will try to use blockchain directly. I am aware of safety issues, I have mostly all of my bitcoins in cold storage, in blockchain wallet I keep only very small amount, around 0,1 BTC.
I have used Android Wallet and yes, hope something similar sun comes to WP8.

Thanks,
Matej
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:31:56 AM

Thanks for your answers. I'll keep them in mind. I will try to use blockchain directly. I am aware of safety issues, I have mostly all of my bitcoins in cold storage, in blockchain wallet I keep only very small amount, around 0,1 BTC.
I have used Android Wallet and yes, hope something similar sun comes to WP8.

Thanks,
Matej

Really you shouldn't store much Bitcoin on any phone wallet as there are multiple security risks involved in doing so I would treat it as a spending wallet on your phone so only store bitcoin there for a small amount of time.

matejmesar (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:06:42 PM

I'm aware of not storing large amounts on mobile phones. As I mentioned, only spending money (amount that won't cause me a headache if my mobile get compromised). Thanks for the warnings.

M
Dr. Pepper

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:54:16 PM

Why does the blockchain.info app not work anymore, or are you getting confused with Apple removing it? If you can manage to get a blockchain app working I recommend it as you can synch it with your account and have acces to your funds on the go.

patrike
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 01:02:05 PM

I'm running a Windows Phone 8 app called "Bitcoin" (yes, that's the name of it) by Miguel Rochefort. The app that acts as some kind of frontend to your Blockchain.info account. The app becomes a part of the Windows Phone Wallet and it supports scanning QR codes.

I've only used the app for a few days, but so far it's working fine.

Awesome Miner - Complete solution to manage and monitor mining operations of ASIC, GPU and CPU miners
Optimized Antminer firmware - Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency and more features. For S9, S9i, S9j, T9+, L3+, S17, S17 Pro, S17+, T17, T17+, S19, S19 Pro, S19j, S19j Pro, T19
Up to 200,000 miners | Notifications | Native overclocking | Profit switching | Customizable rules | API | Windows application | Mobile web
matejmesar (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:17:15 PM

Yes, I have found this app by Miguel in wp store, but can't install it. Instead of INSTALL button, there is "This app is no longer published" written there. Looks like somebody removed it. There is another app, quite new i guess, called "Blockchain wallet" by Peter Zarnay, but did't find any info about it. Anyway, if I decide to try, I would have only very small amount of BTC on it.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 07:30:08 PM

Why does the blockchain.info app not work anymore, or are you getting confused with Apple removing it? If you can manage to get a blockchain app working I recommend it as you can synch it with your account and have acces to your funds on the go.

Blockchain is making a HTML version that will work on smartphones.  The android app of the new wallet is out.  It should be soon on HTML version of wallet.  With this you don't have to download app, but browse from phone.  Gets around IOS rules, and I would assume good chance would work on window's phone if half way recent phone.
Lotus

Activity: 107
Merit: 7

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 02:26:49 AM

Just wanted to let you know that Bitcoin Can for Windows Phone 8 (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/bitcoin-can/57fcf4d6-497a-4663-8da3-93cb26c83b11) is now beta testing Blockchain integration. If you're interested to try it out and help make it better, download the app and contact the developers to join the private testing pool.

Forgotten Crypt - Zero-Trust trading. Take the guesswork out of trading.
http://www.ForgottenCrypt.com
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 08:03:34 AM

I would definitely go to blockchain.info and try and avoid any kind of untrusted apps on the Windows Phone. Android and iOS seem to be the two that offer more up to date apps whereas Windows still seem a little behind with up to date trusted apps.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 08:59:15 AM

Webversion of blockchain is your best bet by fair.  I doubt there is much development for windows phones on wallets.

When IOS blocked blockchain's app they made a mobile version to work in browser to bypass apples approval.  So you are lucky in that they made one web based for mobile.
Lotus

Activity: 107
Merit: 7

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 06:20:01 PM

The main issue with using the web apps is that authentication becomes inconvenient if you use it commonly. Ideally you'll want to just scan a QR code and send BTC to it, or get notifications when you've received coins. I cannot confirm that this is currently available from a trusted app, but I can say for sure that it is under development by more than one developer.

On the Windows Phone platform there aren't as strict restrictions yet as on the iPhone, so the situation will keep improving as the user-base grows to justify developers' interest.

Full disclosure: I'm a Microsoft engineer.

Forgotten Crypt - Zero-Trust trading. Take the guesswork out of trading.
http://www.ForgottenCrypt.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: