Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:37:31 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: focus st vs mazda speed3 vs hyundai veloster which to buy?  (Read 2096 times)
umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:07:50 PM

Ok si I want a front wheel drive car with a little balls leaning towards
focus st and mazda speed3

Which should I get

the focus handles better but the speed3 has more raw attitude imo

don't know shit about turbos etc so what do you car nuts think?

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:16:20 PM

ford are reliable and the st handles very well plenty of power and you can use every single hp. mazdas are mazdas. id go with the ford. but i own a ford mondeo mk2. never let me down and its 14 years young and 120,000miles wiser. still holds its own against most cars in its class. and beats any car merc or bmw in the snow

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:36:55 PM

Mazdaspeed 3. The Veloster isn't built as well and the visibility is terrible. The Focus ST is probably comparable, but I prefer the fit and feel of Mazdas vs. Fords.

You shouldn't need to worry about the turbocharger; they all have ball-bearings and computer controls nowadays. If you're the type of person who wants extra dials on your dashboard, invest in a mechanical boost gauge (they're the most accurate kind) and an oil-pressure gauge, so you can tell if the intake is leaking boost or if something is wrong with the oil system. (an exhaust temperature gauge is also sometimes useful, because they can tell if the hot side of the turbo is overheating.) I never had problems with the turbo in my Passat 1.8t, but the oil pressure gauge did save my ass one cold day when the oil-cooler blew a gasket and I lost oil pressure. The gauge notified me a good 30 seconds before the Check Engine light started yelling at me, and that gave me time to get off the highway and park the car.
umair127 (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:00:31 PM

Thanks for the info.

The speed3 was a he'll of a ride I mean I couldn't believe a car that price could put my head back on the head rest like that. The turbo is a
bit scary for me having not owned 1 before so the gages seem like a good idea for some peace of mind for pretty low cost.

noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:01:54 PM

Focus an 3 have the same chassis. Mazda has the better seating position. Buddy of mine just bought one a few months ago and is getting 40mpg and doing well at the autoX. Veloster is a for sure no.

Rigon

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:10:18 PM

Thanks for the info.

The speed3 was a he'll of a ride I mean I couldn't believe a car that price could put my head back on the head rest like that. The turbo is a
bit scary for me having not owned 1 before so the gages seem like a good idea for some peace of mind for pretty low cost.
Turbos are pretty reliable nowadays, especially if you leave the ECU programming stock and you don't modify any of the pressure sensors. But it's great fun to drive a car that, the faster it goes, the faster it *wants* to go. Positive feedback loops are endlessly entertaining.
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:34:55 PM

I haven't checked out the Mazda, but have you considered the new Mini? I liked it a good bit more than the Focus .Both the std Cooper and the Cooper S for 2014 are turbo. S has a two liter, and the base model has a three cylinder turbo...

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Rigon

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:39:29 PM

I haven't checked out the Mazda, but have you considered the new Mini? I liked it a good bit more than the Focus .Both the std Cooper and the Cooper S for 2014 are turbo. S has a two liter, and the base model has a three cylinder turbo...
Have they fixed the goofy gauge locations on the new Mini, or are they still in the center of the dashboard? It's about time they gave up on that little bit of retro BS.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:44:35 PM

Best overall car is the focus st and its not even close .I've thoroughly enjoyed racing mine, day cruises, people carrying, etc. It's just fantastic fun and unmatched performance for 20k .

Meowington

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:48:17 PM

I really like the Focus st, clean and modern.
Nice interior and good with fuel ( economical )
umair127 (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:53:03 PM

Best overall car is the focus st and its not even close .I've thoroughly enjoyed racing mine, day cruises, people carrying, etc. It's just fantastic fun and unmatched performance for 20k .
Yeah i loved the speed3 and focus st but i can't make up my mind.The focus seemed to have a little less raw power but seemed to
have better suspension torque control and larger power band just more refined maybethe mazda just has more whack ya in the balls punch bu5 a narrow band of power and torque steer like a mother Fuckers compared to focus just my opinion and my opinion doesn't mean much cause i admit to knowing nothing about these front wheel drive turbo cars .

Rigon

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:06:51 PM

Yeah i loved the speed3 and focus st but i can't make up my mind.The focus seemed to have a little less raw power but seemed to
have better suspension torque control and larger power band just more refined maybethe mazda just has more whack ya in the balls punch bu5 a narrow band of power and torque steer like a mother Fuckers compared to focus just my opinion and my opinion doesn't mean much cause i admit to knowing nothing about these front wheel drive turbo cars .
Odd. The MS3 has a limited-slip diff, but I suppose it's possible the friction elements in the diff still need to wear-in a bit before they'll really grip properly and control torque-steer under hard acceleration. It apparently uses an older style of LSD than the Focus does.

Anyway, here's an article addressing your dilemma: http://www.autoguide.com/car-compari...eed3-2621.html

Overall, it sounds like the MS3 is made with older drivetrain tech that doesn't save you from your own foolishness as effectively, but is also less likely to stop working suddenly because of a sensor malfunction. As for the understeer the article complains about, you can probably fix that by just getting better tires. Mazda always cheaps-out on their stock tires; I call them training wheels, because they let you experience how the car handles at the limit of its traction while you're still going at a slow enough speed that you won't kill yourself.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:13:09 PM

I bought my MS3 in January last year and have 26.5K miles on it now. I haven't actually driven the Focus ST so I can't offer any direct comparison points, but I can recommend the MS3 without reservation. It has been everything I wanted in a car and I have very few complaints. Like you, apman, I liked the MS3's raucous nature over the ST's more refined way and I haven't regretted my choice one bit. My MS3 is my daily driver and puts a grin on my face every damn day, nearly every minute I'm in it. It's taken me on one longish road trip (1200mi. round trip) and it was surprisingly comfortable. I average 28mpg in 50/50 mixed driving, which includes long sections of slow traffic, frequent shirt section of full throttle acceleration, and everything in between.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
sana8410

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:28:22 PM

The things the MS3 definitely has over the ST are time-on-market and aftermarket support. The MS3 has been around since 2007, so it's a well-known vehicle and any bugs or shortcomings have been resolved by either Mazda or the aftermarket. MazdaspeedForums is a jackpot of info and advice for the MS3 and there are several manufacturers and vendors who offer a huge range of reliability and performance upgrades. New Mini is like the New Beetle.Old: AwesomeNew: Lulz

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
BitcoinMillionaire

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Bling Bling

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:31:10 PM

I'd go with the Mazda. Tiny little asian beasts. I like that, hehe. Aren't those also available in the Need For Speed Underground games?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
umair127 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:32:11 PM

The things the MS3 definitely has over the ST are time-on-market and aftermarket support. The MS3 has been around since 2007, so it's a well-known vehicle and any bugs or shortcomings have been resolved by either Mazda or the aftermarket. MazdaspeedForums is a jackpot of info and advice for the MS3 and there are several manufacturers and vendors who offer a huge range of reliability and performance upgrades. New Mini is like the New Beetle.Old: AwesomeNew: Lulz
Why fwd? You prefer the torque steer feel or just trying to save a couple k?

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:35:04 PM

I'd go with the Mazda. Tiny little asian beasts. I like that, hehe. Aren't those also available in the Need For Speed Underground games?
yes  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrKw3iT6vNg

sana8410

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:36:17 PM

For zipping around town FWD is fine and responds more safely at the limit of grip. Usually better MPGs and increased interior room per wheelbase.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
umair127 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM

For zipping around town FWD is fine and responds more safely at the limit of grip. Usually better MPGs and increased interior room per wheelbase.
Responds more safely at the point of grip? Maybe some fwd with a good lsd you might be able to push into corners as well as other drivetrains, but I've felt as confident in only one of my fwd vehicles. But then after a few years i lost the front around a corner and drove into a rail while driving at the edge of handling. After aggressively driving for over 10 years in fwd, awd and rwd vehicles, I seriously question your assertion.

sana8410

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:45:20 PM

Responds more safely at the point of grip? Maybe some fwd with a good lsd you might be able to push into corners as well as other drivetrains, but I've felt as confident in only one of my fwd vehicles. But then after a few years i lost the front around a corner and drove into a rail while driving at the edge of handling. After aggressively driving for over 10 years in fwd, awd and rwd vehicles, I seriously question your assertion.
Better to understeer, brake, and regain control than lose the ass end and head backwards towards whatever direction your momentum is going to carry you.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: