Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:55:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with estimation of a small caliber game  (Read 1346 times)
Professor James Moriarty (OP)
aka TheTortoise

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:18:13 PM

Hi , I would like to get help and possibly run a project bounty here . It all depends on the cost.

I would like to get something very similar to game dev tycoon , but this time we are a bitcoin beginner during the first days and we develop mining and other ways (which would be decided) to make more and more bitcoin and $ , as the time goes on the mining machines evolve like real life and you would lose money rather than gain money with old ones , so you have to sell them and get new ones.

By this time most of you understood what I am looking for and this was tried out before. As someone who is not that tech savy I am looking into getting outsourcing help with the game (design , coding and all other aspects) , trying to make a game with as little as possible bugs and making it as simple as possible so it won't cost more than I can pay for.

How much should I be looking at for something like this, plus I am not sure how I could make decent amount of money with this other than just selling the game which would get downloaded. I don't want to actually sell the game , freemium type of , pay to finish the game quicker type of cash sounds better but that might cost more I am not sure.

Tl;dr : I want a bitcoin tycoon game , how much should I pay to get someone to make it for me?
aka TheTortoise

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 02:56:28 PM

Noone here could with at least an estimation?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 04:46:06 PM

I am developing a game as well. It's in its very early planning stages. First, do you have a market for this game the way you envision it? Have you modeled it in analog form as a proof-of-concept? Does it have to be a computer game? Board games are really coming back in popularity. I'm also interested in the questions you pose, but it's difficult to gauge the answer without a lot more information.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
aka TheTortoise

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:58:35 PM

I think I have answered your questions on the first post , havent I ?

It is a computer game , fairly similar in graphics and gameplay to 'game dev tycoon' and its about someone who has a certain cash to start and buys minning rigs or just buys bitcoin directly and makes money by doing so and gets bigger and richer. Thats about it. The other parts are still to come but I am fairly in the 'just an idea' stage.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 06:18:11 PM

I would look on game developer forums instead of Bitcoin development because it has nothing to do with Bitcoin outside of being a simulator. I'm not saying it won't be fun, but it doesn't help develop Bitcoin apps. If this is to be considered a serious game involving altcoins, political and legal drama, scams and China, then I would pitch it to a major game company or make a card or boardgame. I could see Bitcoin as a Steve Jackson game.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 09:14:12 PM

I would be potentially open to doing this, if I were to be compensated in BTC. Could you tell me what language you would prefer to use to implement it, so I could determine if this is viable for me?
gogodr

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 08:48:45 PM

The programming aspect of this game is fairly simple, could be done in 2 months.
The art itself should be another 2 months in on itself, then sound effects, which can be done in 1 month (lets say you want basic sound effects and a couple of background songs)

Roughly we are estimating here indy developer salaries so:
2 months for a coder at lets say 700$/month
2 months for an artist/graphic designer at 700$/month
and 1 month for SFX/Game music artist/composer at 700$/month too

3500$ you are looking at roughly a 3500$ investment. without taking in consideration your own salary for managing the project and finding the correct developers.

- prices change according to expertise and your expectations of quality too. This are not mediocre salaries, but not really good ones either.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:16:31 PM

Where could you find coders to work this cheap? I cannot even in the Philippines!

gogodr

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:44:13 AM

Where could you find coders to work this cheap? I cannot even in the Philippines!

Peru, universities and looking around like crazy. Enthusiastic people, students. They might not have the knowledge before time, but specially for things like game development students bring fresh things to projects and are cheap since they pretty much learn as they go. Problem there is that you have to really work filtering the good from the bad.
sed

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:45:34 AM

Hey there, can you provide a link to the original "tycoon" game you're trying to clone?  I think that'd help people figure out what sort of effort is involved.
gogodr

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:58:22 AM

Hey there, can you provide a link to the original "tycoon" game you're trying to clone?  I think that'd help people figure out what sort of effort is involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytti44AUGWQ
sed

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:32:05 AM

Well, that's close.  You linked to an annoying youtube video with some guy playing the game and yapping.  I s'pose the game itself just doesn't have a site worth linking to?
gogodr

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:23:01 AM

Well, that's close.  You linked to an annoying youtube video with some guy playing the game and yapping.  I s'pose the game itself just doesn't have a site worth linking to?
Sure, just click here
sed

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:28:58 AM

Sure, just click here
I think that was cute in 2009, right?
gogodr

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:35:54 AM

Sure, just click here
One would think that 5 years is more than enough to teach someone how to use google.
I guess some people just need a little more time than others.
sed

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:41:20 AM

Sure, just click here
One would think that 5 years is more than enough to teach someone how to use google.
Yup, my main issue here is a lack of education about google.  Or, wait, maybe it had to do with the topic of this thread...
aka TheTortoise

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:41:53 AM

Hahaha , yeah some drama here heh?

Well yes thats the game , thats the type of level I want so its not call of duty or skyrim to create.

So far the amount of knowledge I have is this ;

2.5 bitcoin each for 2 programmers
 2.5 bitcoin for game designer
 2.5 bitcoin for various costs
 2.5 bitcoin for various publicity reasons (would heavily focus on bitcoin community but may try to get some bitcoin wonderers into bitcoin as well)

So thats about 12.5 bitcoins and it would probably be done.

How is that  math for you?
sed

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:35:39 PM

Hahaha , yeah some drama here heh?

Well yes thats the game , thats the type of level I want so its not call of duty or skyrim to create.

So far the amount of knowledge I have is this ;

2.5 bitcoin for various publicity reasons (would heavily focus on bitcoin community but may try to get some bitcoin wonderers into bitcoin as well)

So thats about 12.5 bitcoins and it would probably be done.

How is that  math for you?

I think that seems about right, from what I could tell of the original tycoon game.  Good luck putting together your team!
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:42:56 PM

Hi , I would like to get help and possibly run a project bounty here . It all depends on the cost.

I would like to get something very similar to game dev tycoon , but this time we are a bitcoin beginner during the first days and we develop mining and other ways (which would be decided) to make more and more bitcoin and $ , as the time goes on the mining machines evolve like real life and you would lose money rather than gain money with old ones , so you have to sell them and get new ones.

By this time most of you understood what I am looking for and this was tried out before. As someone who is not that tech savy I am looking into getting outsourcing help with the game (design , coding and all other aspects) , trying to make a game with as little as possible bugs and making it as simple as possible so it won't cost more than I can pay for.

How much should I be looking at for something like this, plus I am not sure how I could make decent amount of money with this other than just selling the game which would get downloaded. I don't want to actually sell the game , freemium type of , pay to finish the game quicker type of cash sounds better but that might cost more I am not sure.

Tl;dr : I want a bitcoin tycoon game , how much should I pay to get someone to make it for me?

I think such a game engine would take me 1-3 months work, depending if it's a 2d or 3d game. Then you'd need all the graphics, sounds, levels and other related things, I'm guessing 3 months. So overall  I think you'd need 3-8 months for such a game.
I agree with these prices:

gogodr

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 07:41:58 PM

Hey there, can you provide a link to the original "tycoon" game you're trying to clone?  I think that'd help people figure out what sort of effort is involved.
Well, that's close.  You linked to an annoying youtube video with some guy playing the game and yapping.  I s'pose the game itself just doesn't have a site worth linking to?
Sure, just click here
Yup, my main issue here is a lack of education about google.  Or, wait, maybe it had to do with the topic of this thread...
sorry about that, I was a little inebriated at that moment.

------------------

If you do make it, a recommendation would be to kickstart it. I'm sure many people will get behind it.
I know I would. Sounds really interesting and a game I would buy.
I had a lot of fun with game dev tycoon.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: