Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:12:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What bitcoin myth you want to see us bust next?  (Read 4510 times)
ipnone5only

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 12:02:48 PM

Myth: a bitcoin plutocracy is preferable to democracy
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GTA

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 12:15:14 PM

Myth: Bitcoin is more secure than traditional money transfer methods
RepublicSpace

Activity: 145
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 12:43:29 PM

Bitcoin is quite obviously more secure than traditional money transfer methods as there are no middlemen to mess with your transaction.
As long as you keep your private keys safe  Wink
Jubettarr

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 12:52:15 PM

Bitcoin is quite obviously more secure than traditional money transfer methods as there are no middlemen to mess with your transaction.

So as long as you ignore the factor that makes it unsafe, it's safe.
Cool  Wink
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:04:15 PM

So as long as you ignore the factor that makes it unsafe, it's safe.
Cool  Wink
Nothing is 100% safe. Also, you could keep your bank password unsafe, and your account would be emptied before you knew it.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:11:28 PM

When most of the bitcoins have been mined transaction fees will not be high enough to support the network.

Myth or Truth?

myth.  u could support the network with a single Block Erupter 333 mh/s USB Stick

i am here.
Bitcoin For Dummies (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 04:21:04 PM

how about we make one about how volatility is normal for technology that young

or how regulation and governments can't really stop it?

Bitcoin For Dummies Channel on Youtube -> https://www.youtube.com/user/BitcoinForDummies  Shocked
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:33:29 PM

I'd love to see the myth that only men are interested in Bitcoin disproved.  I'm holding out faith that it is just a myth anyway.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:41:29 PM

the myth that some rich guy will dump a few million dollars on bitstamp/coinbase and cause a spike in one day. .. seeing as they have deposit limits now, which were not there last year.

goodbye price ramps caused by whales entering the market, hello steady rises by small medium investors. and ofcourse the price resistance rise due to bitpay and others no longer having to sell directly on exchanges as much. due to whales buying privately from bitpay instead.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 09:41:44 PM

I'd love to see you examine the myth that bitcoin will "absolutely, definitely, double, triple, exponentially increase in value to the USD".

Too may people talk about BTC definitely going up in value with absolutely zero math or logic to back it up.

I'm bullish on BTC and I'm glad others are too, but I don't have any fact for it...do you guys have any facts or analysis you can share with the rest of us?

Thanks.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:47:20 PM

I'd love to see you examine the myth that bitcoin will "absolutely, definitely, double, triple, exponentially increase in value to the USD".

Too may people talk about BTC definitely going up in value with absolutely zero math or logic to back it up.

I'm bullish on BTC and I'm glad others are too, but I don't have any fact for it...do you guys have any facts or analysis you can share with the rest of us?

Thanks.

if you start in october 2013. and draw a line from 90$ and each 2 weeks increase it by 10%ish you will see the line of mining costs EG spring 2014 ($400) summer/now ($550) and if you don some maths of the hashpower/vs costs before terrahashers come online to see mining costs pre-october .. you will see that bitcoin prices never really went below mining costs.. (excluding mtgox on its day of closing).

but thats not science, thats just opinion based on psychology of trading(resistance to sell at a loss) and other trends

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Night Owl

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:15:49 AM

Sorry I am new, but are online wallets safe for small amounts of BTC?

Oops sorry wrong thread
Satan666

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 11:23:22 AM

I'd love to see the myth that only men are interested in Bitcoin disproved.  I'm holding out faith that it is just a myth anyway.

Women have no use for bitcoins because they love spending money, not hoarding it.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:29:52 PM

When most of the bitcoins have been mined transaction fees will not be high enough to support the network.

Myth or Truth?

myth.  u could support the network with a single Block Erupter 333 mh/s USB Stick

But then anyone could easily perform a 51% attack.
Eventually transaction fees will probably not be high enough to insure network security.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:15:41 PM

I'm curious about this, when the last block of bitcoin will be mined, what will happen?

My 2 cents:
The miners will gain only transaction fees so the electric cost will be higher than the revenue,
therefore the number of miners will drop drastically and the chances of 51% attacks will be huge.

Conclusion: when the last block will be mined, bitcoin will die.

myth?

I would like to see this one busted since I'm not completely sure it's untrue myself.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:25:38 PM

I'm curious about this, when the last block of bitcoin will be mined, what will happen?

My 2 cents:
The miners will gain only transaction fees so the electric cost will be higher than the revenue,
therefore the number of miners will drop drastically and the chances of 51% attacks will be huge.

Conclusion: when the last block will be mined, bitcoin will die.

myth?

I would like to see this one busted since I'm not completely sure it's untrue myself.

the year of 2140, has no realistic or meaningful explanation that would be of benefit to your corpse, which would have been burried many many years prior. so dont worry about it.

talking about future events is a speculation/theory. and as it has not happened nor will happen for 125 years it will remain a theory. and thus any talk about the year 2140 WILL BE A MYTH until the yar 2140 which is when those myths can be proven as fact.

in short you cant bust a myth until after the fact.

Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:29:04 PM

myth: bitcoin price must be stable before mass adoption

reason: there is a finite number of bitcoins to be generated, so mass adoption will follow a big rise in price, if it ever to happen
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:39:10 PM

"Didn't bitcoin go bankrupt?"

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:39:53 PM

"Didn't bitcoin get hacked?"

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:11:15 PM

Women have no use for bitcoins because they love spending money, not hoarding it.

Call me crazy but the seems sexist to me.  How can you make that statement and expect to be taken seriously?  Wouldn't hoarding it make them a profit which means more money to spend?  It's like saying poor people have no use for Bitcoin because they spend all their money to live.  I'm just going to assume you were making a joke and in that case, haaha good one!   Wink
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: