Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:01:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin fading away?  (Read 6137 times)
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:41:30 PM

Problem with bitcoin is that too many people are expecting insane returns in 1 month timeframe.
That being said, if you are looking bitcoin as a daytrader, its going down, but in the longrun things may be different.

We have some good progres with merchants, and with infrastructure, so thats in our favor.

But this is what freaks me the most; damn useless earwax removal thingy is on comercials and all over tv, and bitcoin is away from public coverage like it has mental illnes.
A little bit of advertisement effort would bring lagre inflow of fiat, but nothing is being done because there is no real bitcoin central authority that would recieve certain fee from bitcoin transactions to use it for the good of the entire network.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:48:47 PM

Problem with bitcoin is that too many people are expecting insane returns in 1 month timeframe.
That being said, if you are looking bitcoin as a daytrader, its going down, but in the longrun things may be different.

We have some good progres with merchants, and with infrastructure, so thats in our favor.

But this is what freaks me the most; damn useless earwax removal thingy is on comercials and all over tv, and bitcoin is away from public coverage like it has mental illnes.
A little bit of advertisement effort would bring lagre inflow of fiat, but nothing is being done because there is no real bitcoin central authority that would recieve certain fee from bitcoin transactions to use it for the good of the entire network.

im a day trader and i dont see it going down. i just see a nice spread in the middle to run back and forth between Cheesy

but i do agree those fiat lovers hoping for a doubling of money within 3 months do seem to be losing their patience..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:53:00 PM

Where is that 10 percent squared your brain isn't using?

Linking it to gold will make it centralized, and, not everyone has gold either. Surprise. Not to mention who do you think has the most gold? Who can buy hectos of gold?

Okay then.
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:53:50 PM

That's something which I think the community should pull together and fund a advertisement campaign I agree that we are out of public exposure but finding good advertisement material which isn't going to be too complicated and to long will be difficult to explain the whole of Bitcoin.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
ajareselde
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:24:59 PM

That's something which I think the community should pull together and fund a advertisement campaign I agree that we are out of public exposure but finding good advertisement material which isn't going to be too complicated and to long will be difficult to explain the whole of Bitcoin.

No buddy, no fund raising since that would be one time promotion.
What bitcoin realy needs is to make #dev wallet that would recieve 5-10% of transaction fees, while the remaining amount would still go to the miners themselves.

In that way, there would be enough money to fund many campaigns to promote bitcoin and they would be able to hire more people to work on bitcoin development.
I know its a bit more centralised that way, but its needed for the survival of bitcoin itself.

Am i realy the only one that thinks blockbuster "Bitcoin - the movie" would bring INSANE  amount of hype and trending, and spread the word about the bitcoin unlike ANY other thing that happened to bitcoin 2009-2014 ?!
Is it realy that much impossible to expect project like this, worth ~200 milion USD , from an 8 billion dollars comunity ?
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:30:02 PM

What bitcoin realy needs is to make #dev wallet that would recieve 5-10% of transaction fees, while the remaining amount would still go to the miners themselves.

In that way, there would be enough money to fund many campaigns to promote bitcoin and they would be able to hire more people to work on bitcoin development.
I know its a bit more centralised that way, but its needed for the survival of bitcoin itself.

Am i realy the only one that thinks blockbuster "Bitcoin - the movie" would bring INSANE  amount of hype and trending, and spread the word about the bitcoin unlike ANY other thing that happened to bitcoin 2009-2014 ?!
Is it realy that much impossible to expect project like this, worth ~200 milion USD , from an 8 billion dollars comunity ?
On the Dev wallet; make sure people know that it IS a dev wallet, otherwise people will be turned off VERY quickly.

And a Bitcoin "movie" would have to be REALLY good to actually generate hype. I'm meaning Avengers "quality"/hype in order for it to gain any traction. And you'd have to be doing a lot of brainstorming in order to have a good plot.

That's kind of like asking to make a movie based on the internet, there's not a lot of exciting things to start with.

You could always gather inspiration from the wikileaks movie, however.
Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 09:44:32 PM

The only reason it seems like Bitcoin is "fading away" is because we're not in that crazy period of high price and volatility that exploded bitcoin into the mainstream at the end of 2013. In reality, Bitcoin is still getting stronger by the day, the most obvious indication being its continued acceptance as a payment method by large companies like Dell and Expedia.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 09:46:35 PM

im a day trader and i dont see it going down. i just see a nice spread in the middle to run back and forth between Cheesy

but i do agree those fiat lovers hoping for a doubling of money within 3 months do seem to be losing their patience..
Exactly. I'm not sure what they are expecting? If Bitcoin is to work like a currency it's not supposed to make a 100% price difference every 2-3 months.
If you look at the investments in Bitcoin in 2014 (even though we just passed the first half), they have increased by a decent amount.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ajareselde
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:53:57 PM

On the Dev wallet; make sure people know that it IS a dev wallet, otherwise people will be turned off VERY quickly.

And a Bitcoin "movie" would have to be REALLY good to actually generate hype. I'm meaning Avengers "quality"/hype in order for it to gain any traction. And you'd have to be doing a lot of brainstorming in order to have a good plot.

That's kind of like asking to make a movie based on the internet, there's not a lot of exciting things to start with.

1.People would not get turned off if 5-10% of the fees would go to development, note that im talking about the fees, not block reward

2.For 200 mil. USD u can produce awesome movie, since alot of great movies were produced with much less money.
  Also, the movie itself would also bring out profit, so it wouldnt be money wasted, but invested.

The sadest part of this is that noone is even considering anything. And due to that lack of interest i believe this last bubble was indeed the "last" bubble.
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 10:01:53 PM

1.People would not get turned off if 5-10% of the fees would go to development, note that im talking about the fees, not block reward

2.For 200 mil. USD u can produce awesome movie, since alot of great movies were produced with much less money.
  Also, the movie itself would also bring out profit, so it wouldnt be money wasted, but invested.

The sadest part of this is that noone is even considering anything. And due to that lack of interest i believe this last bubble was indeed the "last" bubble.
1. I see what you are referring to, but I wasn't talking about the block reward, I was talking about extra fees (5%-10%), but I see that it's just 5-10% of the original fees.

2. Yeah, I know that a lot of good movies have a smaller budget than that, but what is the actual PLOT of the movie? That's what I'm referring to. It's a lot harder coming up with a movie about Bitcoin than it is coming up with a movie about superheros fighting off aliens, or whatever is popular nowadays.
harles9

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 10:18:00 PM

I don't see BTC fading at all.  In fact I see the intensity in which it is being adopted increasing, not decreasing.

The fact that it's no longer a shocking notion is what makes people think it's losing steam. 
gambian-

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 10:34:46 PM

Bit coin is on a downward trend and has been for the last 8 months. We will be lucky to the heady heights of November 2013 again.

Bitcoin isn't a share it's price varies on many factors. It's not like a company where it's based on trends or how well the company performs it's much, much more than that.
Bitcoin is a currency, not a stake in a company.

I personally think Bitcoin has a long way to go, we're still in the early phases.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 10:48:14 PM

bitcoin is not fading.. its just people greed and impatience is growing.

as for fundraising. the US mint does not advertise dollars
companies do

so bitpay would advertise, coinbase would advertise.

as for trying to advertise to average joe.. you noobs still do not get it, bitcoin is still new and growing if you cant see it (obviously you cant, to believe its fading) then maybe you are not bitcoiners, but fiat investors, and the sooner you return back to fiat the better.

here is a serious thing to learn about bitcoin.
bitcoin is about individual control.
so dont whinge and moan about what the community is or isnt doing for you.. but ask yourself what are YOU doing,

and i dont mean getting the community to do something for you. EG fundraising. but what are you doing in your own little corner of the world with your own time, experience, idea's and funding..

what are YOU personally doing to help bitcoin solo style without needing others to do things for you?
what can YOU do personally on your own to help bitcoin grow?

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Cranky4u

Activity: 810

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 11:02:48 PM

Every week I get asked by another few people about this BTC-thingy and how it works. I commonly tell them it is like an open bank ledger with miners performing the work of a banking mainframe, balancing the books. They want to know the advantage for them, I respond with practically zero fees or forex costs when purchasing from overseas - saving around 9% by $AU > $US (3%) + Credit card fee (3%) + bank processing fee (3%). After that talk, they generally want to sign up...

Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:28:23 AM

Every week I get asked by another few people about this BTC-thingy and how it works. I commonly tell them it is like an open bank ledger with miners performing the work of a banking mainframe, balancing the books. They want to know the advantage for them, I respond with practically zero fees or forex costs when purchasing from overseas - saving around 9% by $AU > $US (3%) + Credit card fee (3%) + bank processing fee (3%). After that talk, they generally want to sign up...

Tell me how you get them to talk about it.

I've tried many times and failed, and I REALLY like explaining Bitcoin.

I'll definitely keep in mind how you explain it, though. That is probably the simplest way I've seen it explained...
NotAtOld

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:13:44 AM

You can't really use transaction volume as any real measure of the bitcoin economy. It's quite normal (and recommended) for owners to transfer their coins between multiple wallets for a variety of reasons.
bbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330

Bitcoin

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:45:21 AM

yo mama is going to fade away.

Does it look like things are fading away?

http://www.btcinstant.com
http://www.videos4btc.info ( NSFW)
http://www.bitcoinstarter.com

Things are just starting!  Grin

█████████████████     ████████
       ████████              ████████
     ████████     ███████  ████████     ████████
    ████████     █████████████████     ████████
████████     ████████  ███████     ████████
          ████████     █████████████████
▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
▬▬ THE LARGEST & MOST TRUSTED ▬▬
      BITCOIN SPORTSBOOK     
   ▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
             ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀        ▀▄▄▄▄           
▄▀▀▀▀                 █   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
█                    ▀▄          █
 █   ▀▌     ██▄        █          █               
 ▀▄        ▐████▄       █        █
  █        ███████▄     ▀▄       █
   █      ▐████▄█████████████████████▄
   ▀▄     ███████▀                  ▀██
    █      ▀█████    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
     █       ▀███   ████      ████   ██
     ▀▄        ██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
      █        ██        ▄██▄        ██
       █       ██        ▀██▀        ██
       ▀▄      ██    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
        █      ██   ████      ████   ██
         █▄▄▄▄▀██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
               ██▄                  ▄██
                ▀████████████████████▀

CASINO  ●  DICE  ●  POKER   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   24 hour Customer Support   

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
GreenBacksTeam

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 06:02:34 AM

The start-up community is rallying around Bitcoin and we're seeing millions invested in upcoming business centered on it. That, as well as the increased trading, and more merchants adopting ie: Dell, proves that Bitcoin is continuing to become more widespread.

GreenBacks: A Complete Currency - Launching Soon!
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 06:15:18 AM

So linking Bitcoin to gold may be a good idea.

You got it backwards. Gold should be linked to bitcoin. I have no use for gold in my day to day life. With bitcoin, I can easily buy anything I need, pizza, cars, computers, etc. With gold, I can hide it in a safe and that's about it. It's not easily divisible. It's not easily transferred. It's generally useless in day to day activities.

Buy & Hold
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 06:34:42 AM

its neither an asset or a commodity though its a currency, and its dosn't even need to be backed by labour because its backed by a computer

network that cannot even be matched by any amount of physical labour

even if we ignored the tax classification...

bitcoin is like intellectual property, art, graphic design, game code... which (nothing related to tax) still puts it in a description of an asset.

that being said an asset, commodity, fiat, or ANYTHING else can ALSO be a currency.. so relax, bitcoins is a currency and an asset.. it just is not a commodity..

Technically, that's not true.  The thing about commodities is that there's a fixed amount of them, and in that sense, bitcoin is far more like a commodity than a currency because there will never be more than 21 million bitcoins.  You can't say that (with any amount) about dollars, yen, yuan, euros, any currencies.  But you can say it about: gold, oil, copper, etc. 

What gets mined?  Copper, gold, and in a way, oil itself if you consider drilling a form of mining.  And bitcoins also get "mined", just in a technological way, rather than by digging for something.  So in every way except for the fact that it treats itself like a currency, bitcoin is more like a commodity than a currency.  Which, of course, doesn't mean that bitcoins can't be used as a currency.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: