ForgottenPassword (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
---
July 26, 2014, 10:28:47 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2014, 05:50:57 AM by ForgottenPassword

----

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 11:54:04 PM

So will the website get you into trouble and get you watched by the NSA?
ForgottenPassword (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:16:57 AM

So will the website get you into trouble and get you watched by the NSA?

Get you in trouble? not at all. And I'm sure at least some of your internet traffic is inspected by the NSA if not collected and stored already, so they are already watching. I don't know if they will actually watch you more carefully. In theory they should based on how XKeyScore works but I haven't received any confirmation from the NSA on that Tongue

Recently Tor Developer Jacob Appelbaum released some of the definitions XKeyScore uses to pick out potential targets. The ones he released show that the NSA mark anyone who searches for privacy tools or even views an article about them as a target (they obviously do this for other things too but Jacob decided to only release these definitions for now).

Usually the NSA store your data for up to 30 days but they retain information on targets longer (up to forever!).

All the website does is open a number of the websites mentioned in the definitions, which include torproject.org, tails.boum.org and even articles on LinuxJournal.com and boingboing.net. All of the sites are completely safe and not illegal but the NSA describes these websites as "extremist".

http://boingboing.net/2014/07/03/if-you-read-boing-boing-the-n.html

Obviously simply viewing an article about Tor doesn't make you a threat to national security, but allegedy the NSA thinks it does.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 08:30:18 PM

How many people can NSA follow?
Let's DDOS them going everybody on this site :-D
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 08:58:48 PM

The NSA watches me already.

It's a natural consequence of using technology like cell phones and the Internet.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
ForgottenPassword (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:13:10 PM

How many people can NSA follow?
Let's DDOS them going everybody on this site :-D

Haha! I would love to try that but I highly doubt we could pull it off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

The Utah Data Center, also known as the Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative Data Center,[1] is a data storage facility for the United States Intelligence Community that is designed to store data estimated to be on the order of exabytes or larger.[2] Its purpose is to support the Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI), though its precise mission is classified.[3] The National Security Agency (NSA), which will lead operations at the facility, is the executive agent for the Director of National Intelligence.[4] It is located at Camp Williams near Bluffdale, Utah, between Utah Lake and Great Salt Lake and was completed in late 2013[citation needed] at a cost of $1.5 billion.

1 exabyte = 1 000 000 terabytes (TB)

So suffice to say they've got enough disk space.

I think the real way to fight the NSA is to fix the internet. Replace DNS, replace SSL with something more lightweight and auditable, replace the Certificate Authority model and re-educate people who do not understand the importance of privacy. If we can pull that off we stand a good chance of winning the battle.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: