Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:54:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All of Satoshi's bitcoins will belong to NY after 5 years of inactivity  (Read 4704 times)
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 02:28:18 PM

Any reason to believe that Satoshi's coins are under the jurisdiction of the NY laws?

Or are they trying to enforce their own lawns over all the world?
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 02:54:19 PM

Or are they trying to enforce their own lawns over all the world?

btcforall777

Activity: 235
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:28:14 PM

With anon technology, city state and federal laws dont mean much. no need to go to Switzerland anymore. Every body has their own tax haven if they know how with crypto coins.

TAX REVENUES WILL PLUMMET!
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:37:30 PM

With anon technology, city state and federal laws dont mean much. no need to go to Switzerland anymore. Every body has their own tax haven if they know how with crypto coins.

Pretty much this.

Get your local stores accepting Bitcoin (or an alt) and BOOM!

We're free from regulations.
transient858

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:47:57 PM

Pretty much this.

Tax evasion will get the owner in jail, which is far from freedom.
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 08:58:29 PM

Pretty much this.

They don't have taxes on Bitcoin, but I do see what you are saying.

I say that, since it is decentralised, they couldn't technically impose taxes, and they could only lay tax claims on Fiat exchanges. So if you work for USD and exchange, you have to pay taxes. Just have plain BTC (Not exchanged) and you should probably be fine. But don't quote me on this, since I'm probably missing a lot of laws. Not familiar with the US legal system.
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 09:07:37 PM

Forfeit Bitcoins that are inactive for over 5 years to the State of New York - (200.12c)

Think for a minute. Lets say they do implement this. Now how are they going to execute and enforce this? One of the benefits of bitcoin is that it's yours, and you're in full control of it. The fundamentals of bitcoin does not operate within the law and regulation.

This is exactly what I was wondering. Unless they have some alien technology with some new form of maths that can crack private keys its safe to say his btc are outside the scope of the ny regulation.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:08:09 PM

So I can start a service that charges $10 lifetime and sends 5 satoshis to your NY web wallet once a year, thus resulting in activity so it won't be seized. Right?

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:10:24 PM

So I can start a service that charges $10 lifetime and sends 5 satoshis to your NY web wallet once a year, thus resulting in activity so it won't be seized. Right?
I believe you can actually do this, assuming the regulation is what I think it says...

Prepare for a new industry popping up in the service section!
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 09:10:54 PM

That seems like a pretty good service, but you would have to have a service that signs in to check on those funds i believe.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
taylortyler (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:36:25 PM

Forfeit Bitcoins that are inactive for over 5 years to the State of New York - (200.12c)

Think for a minute. Lets say they do implement this. Now how are they going to execute and enforce this? One of the benefits of bitcoin is that it's yours, and you're in full control of it. The fundamentals of bitcoin does not operate within the law and regulation.

This is exactly what I was wondering. Unless they have some alien technology with some new form of maths that can crack private keys its safe to say his btc are outside the scope of the ny regulation.
I agree that it will be hard if not impossible to confiscate the coins, but it will allow them to potentially bring charges against a number of people or wallet addresses.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:42:02 PM

i understand pay VAT on merchandising.
i don't want pay tax on money ! (it's stupid)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 09:43:40 PM

Exactly how is a law in NY going to have an affect on me if I'm located in the other part of the world?
Besides, they can't claim the coins no matter what they do.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
karlb187

Activity: 210

Need To Contact Me? Go To My Site!

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 10:55:21 PM

NY is always trying to get its hands in everyone's profits  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin Faucet List Maker      Makes Your Bitcoin Commissions Explode!   (100% FREE)
   Paid to Post Bitcoin Forum      Earn Up To 3,000 Satoshi Per Post!  
 ▥ SKYPE: karl.moneyinpjs ▥ ▦ TWITTER: @karlmoneyinpjs
gambian-

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 10:58:09 PM

Exactly....there's no way to just take or seize bitcoins from someone so easily. It would take quite a process.
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:15:41 PM

I can't wait to see where this goes, and how they will try to enforce this regulation, if they succeed I can see other states following suit! But didn't california already pass regulatory laws??
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:29:51 PM

ugh this is the same with banks..
http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/2010/10/05/inactive-bank-accounts/

No cause for alarm here...
taylortyler (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:30:31 PM

Exactly....there's no way to just take or seize bitcoins from someone so easily. It would take quite a process.

But they can put you in jail for violating their laws, if they can link you to a bitcoin address.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:57:15 AM

We can avoid a lot of confusion and FUD if people take the time to read up on this stuff. The original question doesn't even make sense.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:37:44 AM

But they can put you in jail for violating their laws, if they can link you to a bitcoin address.

It's not an address, it's an account at an exchange / web wallet that operates in NY - where the coins technically aren't really yours because you don't have the private key (you have only their word they will spend on your behalf)

This has nothing to do with those who manage coins themselves.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: