Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:16:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's brave/stupid enough to invest their life savings into Bitcoin?  (Read 33436 times)
kerafym

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:57:58 AM

Buy low and sell high.

The fundamental of bitcoin remain intact if not stronger than 6-9 months ago. If it can go to 1200 with few companies accepting it as payment, imagine what it will finally go up to when more companies use it for payment.

S P 8 D E        ♠       THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.       ♠         READ WHITEPAPER       
    TOKENS        A DECENTRALIZED PLATFORM FOR GAMING DAPPS        ROADMAP   
ANN THREAD       FACEBOOK       TWITTER       TELEGRAM       YOUTUBE       MEDIUM       REDDIT
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheTruth4

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:01:46 AM

I'm dollar-cost-averaging to try and reduce the risk of volatility. I just buy about 50 USD per month unless I can afford a little more. If you just keep adding to your savings over time, then it will grow. If you spend anything, you have to replace it right away. I buy silver with dollar cost averaging too. Never more than I can afford.
unexecuted

Activity: 175

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:07:25 AM

have amassed like 733 bitcoins, but have a lot to lern about security still! somehow not having 2F thing and using my kids name for password probably not a good idea!
CoolBliss

Activity: 97

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:15:27 AM

have amassed like 733 bitcoins, but have a lot to lern about security still! somehow not having 2F thing and using my kids name for password probably not a good idea!

You might want to think about getting a trezor. Of course you've now lost plausible deniability and earned for yourself a nasty case of Whoop-ass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber-hose_cryptanalysis
martinnew

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:43:06 AM

I wouldnt right now. I still think its too soon. The price of bitcoin changes too much and too fast for me to feel safe with all my money in it. Wasnt it like 600 a feel weeks ago? Now its 490

Agree that it is not a good thing to do right now with the current amount of BTC and all other coins. All are decreasing in value.
wordman267645

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:02:44 AM

That is not like bravery or stupid, i think it depends ups to you what you think about your future.The man who invested his all life savings bitcoin he must not be brave or stupid, but he thinks about his future.who knows it becomes more then tripled in future!!
Thingamajig

Activity: 497
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 10:28:39 PM

I put $500,000 into Bitcoin at $600-$630 so I guess that makes me either brave or stupid, considering I've lost 20% of my investment already.

Here's the proof: 1DDWEQM11uMUKiqpGEWvBT2at3CjCw3Vra

Nevertheless, I am 100% convinced that Bitcoin is heading for $1000 or more in the next few months.  It's always a wild ride in the Bitcoin world.

And if I lose my $500k it's really just a drop in the bucket :-)

I actually found this quite laughable.

1. My intuition tells me BTC and any PoW coin will slowly decline as mining becomes more centralized and harder, people will steadily migrate to alternative crypto's that don't use a PoW model.

2. The fact that you brag of your holdings, then in your second breathe state of it's inevitable rise indicate to me your bias - trying to entice people to further buy in just to enrich yourself.

3. The fact that you stole a chunk of those BTC's just goes to show what sort of character you are. I'm sure alot of what you say is twisted and poison.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:28:56 AM

Best bet if you do plan to go all in please do it over a long period of time and all at once.  That way you have options and are able to buy in for cheaper should the price go much lower.  Even if your going to gamble you do it with a plan to profit and play it safe.  I'm sure many of the experienced traders and gamblers would agree with that in some ways.

Not investment advice of course, I'm just speculating on the best way to go about it..
This is actually very good advice. Doing this is called collar cost averaging. You will likely not make the greatest return on your investment doing this, but you are also all but certain to not invest the entire amount you are going to invest at the market peak. On the flip side you also will not be able to invest everything when the market bottoms.

Hashforfun

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:55:42 AM

I'm too scared to even touch my life-savings. Bitcoins could rise or deflate at any time. It's too risky for anyone to even touch (my opinion). Maybe if I was hella rich, I would invest like 50% of it. Tongue
CoolBliss

Activity: 97

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:25:59 AM

I converted my entire IRA into bitcoins. Not my entire life savings, but 30% of them. Hoping to retire much earlier than I originally planned :-p
PalmerLaura

Activity: 116

IPSX: Distributed Network Layer

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:43:00 AM

who is stupid enough to invest their life savings in Dollar

Plank

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:40:42 AM

I would better go for stock market[bonds] than investing in bitcoins. Its risky imo. Hard to predict, so I will play safe game.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 09:48:55 AM

I would better go for stock market[bonds] than investing in bitcoins. Its risky imo. Hard to predict, so I will play safe game.

ROFL!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 11:02:10 AM

ROFL!
Cheesy Funny indeed.
Going for stock market when the crash is being expected.
How about you take a read here before writing nonsense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market_crash#Crash_of_2008.E2.80.932009
Something like this could happen any minute.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RomertL

Activity: 470

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:12:11 AM

I do, but only have 20 so far. Might hedge with silver or something later, but no fiat or shares or anything like that...

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████▀
░░░░░░░▄████░░████████▀
░░▄█████████████████▀
░░░████████████████▀
░░░░██████████████▀
░░░░░██████░░█████▀
░░░░░░██████████▀
░░░░░░░████████▀
░░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░░░░░░░█▀

▄████████████▀▀█▄
████▀▀▀▀▀░░░▄ ░██
██▄░░░░░░░▄▀░░███
████▄░░░▄▀░░░████
██████▄█░░░░█████
████████░▄░██████
▀███████████████▀
▄████▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▄
████░▄▀▀▀▀▀▄░████
██▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀██
█▀░░░█▀█░█▀█░░░▀█
█░░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░░█
█▄░░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░░██
▀██▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██▀

▄█▀███████▀▀████▄
██░░▀███▀░░░░▀▄██
███░░░░▀░░░░░░▄██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████▄░░░░░░░░▄██
██▄░░░░░░░░░▄████
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████▀░▀▀▀▀░▀████
████░░░░░░░░░░███
████▄░░░░░░░░▄███
█▀████▄▄░░▄▄█████
██▄▀▀▀▀░░░░██████
▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██░██
██░▄███████▄░█░██
██░█▄▄▄▄▄███░█░██
██░▀███████▀░████
███▄▄░░░▄▄▄▄█████
▀█████▄█████████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░▄▀█▀██▄░▀███
██░▄█▀░▀░▀▀██▄░██
██░███░▀▀▀ ▀██░██
██░███░████░██░██
██▄░█▄░▄░▄▄▄▀░▄██
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 11:23:15 AM

Reading a story from a few years ago where someone invested all their life savings into Bitcoin and started to live off Bitcoin. that guy was a lucky guy as now the price as more than tripled to when he invested in it. Anyone else brave enough to do this?

Was that story about me, or Rick Falkvinge?
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:29:45 AM

Reading a story from a few years ago where someone invested all their life savings into Bitcoin and started to live off Bitcoin. that guy was a lucky guy as now the price as more than tripled to when he invested in it. Anyone else brave enough to do this?

Hey Dmitry... Did u invest your life savings in Bitcoin ?

Off-topic: Are u really 76 ? From your pic it seems that you are not more than 67 !!! Wink

RomertL

Activity: 470

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:56:30 PM

Yea I heard about that to, was way back I think price was a few dollars back then. Rumour was he sold everything he owned to buy Bitcoins. I Bought my first Bitcoins shortly after, unfortunatly only a few...Haven't heard anything about that for many years now. I guess he's pretty rich Wink

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████▀
░░░░░░░▄████░░████████▀
░░▄█████████████████▀
░░░████████████████▀
░░░░██████████████▀
░░░░░██████░░█████▀
░░░░░░██████████▀
░░░░░░░████████▀
░░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░░░░░░░█▀

▄████████████▀▀█▄
████▀▀▀▀▀░░░▄ ░██
██▄░░░░░░░▄▀░░███
████▄░░░▄▀░░░████
██████▄█░░░░█████
████████░▄░██████
▀███████████████▀
▄████▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▄
████░▄▀▀▀▀▀▄░████
██▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀██
█▀░░░█▀█░█▀█░░░▀█
█░░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░░█
█▄░░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░░██
▀██▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██▀

▄█▀███████▀▀████▄
██░░▀███▀░░░░▀▄██
███░░░░▀░░░░░░▄██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████▄░░░░░░░░▄██
██▄░░░░░░░░░▄████
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████▀░▀▀▀▀░▀████
████░░░░░░░░░░███
████▄░░░░░░░░▄███
█▀████▄▄░░▄▄█████
██▄▀▀▀▀░░░░██████
▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██░██
██░▄███████▄░█░██
██░█▄▄▄▄▄███░█░██
██░▀███████▀░████
███▄▄░░░▄▄▄▄█████
▀█████▄█████████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░▄▀█▀██▄░▀███
██░▄█▀░▀░▀▀██▄░██
██░███░▀▀▀ ▀██░██
██░███░████░██░██
██▄░█▄░▄░▄▄▄▀░▄██
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:57:40 PM

Rumour was he sold everything he owned to buy Bitcoins.
That's the right way to do it.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 02:20:42 PM

The key here is it all depends on how much savings you've got. Most people I know have life savings of less than a year's salary, and don't own any assets. For them, it would probably make sense to invest a lot, >50%, because they could make the money back by living very economically for a few years.

If you have a million dollars in the bank, then it would be pretty dumb to invest >50% of it IMO, I would say no more than 15%, more like 5%

This is such bad advice. You're advising the guy who doesn't have money to invest a lot of it, and the guy who has tons to invest a little.

This is actually pretty standard (smart) advice. You want to have a risky investment when you are young, and move to a safer investment as you get closer to retirement.

However to say that Bitcoin is as "safe", at this time, as dollars is just totally not true.  There would have to be some sort of worldwide strife to destroy the dollar's value.

What about US tax revenue reaching a point where it can't cover US interest on debt, at which point US has to either cut billions of dollars of spending instantly, or drastically increase inflation, which will increase interest on debt, which will increase the amount they have to inflate, over and over?

On the other hand with a relatively small amount of fiat money someone could 51% attack BTC and destroy it.

A 51% attack can't destroy bitcoin. In a catastrophic worst case scenario, it could make it stop working for a day or two until the attacker is neutralized. It will tank the price temporarily, but will retain all of its other functionality, and will just increase trust even more by demonstrating that it can survive.

Armory sucks for me. Upgrading it erased my Bitcoin Core installation. The bootstrap still doesn't work after several tries. Now I have a week long download ahead of me. I will wait until there is a lite version.

Armory detects if your bitcoind doesn't have the blockchain, and downloads it over torrent for you automatically. Takes about an hour.

1. My intuition tells me BTC and any PoW coin will slowly decline as mining becomes more centralized and harder, people will steadily migrate to alternative crypto's that don't use a PoW model.

Only MINERS will move to alternative cryptos. Not users, businesses, or developers. Besides, who cares about miners? People can't print USD at home, and don't avoid it because only a handful of people are able to print it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: