Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 12:43:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BOUNTY - Mining & Hosting P2Pools  (Read 1562 times)
Lucky Cris (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:11:04 AM

Can someone please help....

Unbuntu server 12.04
Installed xubuntu GUI (I know this is resource intensive)
8 Gigs of RAM
8 core CPU

I have 5 r9 290s sitting idle on this rig because I can't seem to mine and host my nodes at the same time. CPU averages about 2% with 4 nodes and my website running... using under 3 gigs of RAM. I've had 7 nodes running and the RAM was just under 5 - not sure why it's so high? Or if that's the problem?

Anyways... even at 2.85 RAM utilization, everything locks up about 10 minutes after I start mining. I even tried setting the difficulty level to the lowest but to no avail. I can't say that it's memory because I have another 8 reserved for swap and it's supposed to start swapping at 80%, and I've never touched my swap. It's not the temps or the settings because if I can mine as long as my pools aren't running.

Anybody know what the hell is up? I waited months to get these damn cards, now I still can't mine with 5 of them because I also want to host p2pools. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even soliciting my site yet because I'm stuck here. I don't want to publicize my nodes when I might have to take it down constantly while this issue is being (trying to be) resolved. Should I just create a VM on this server to mine? I can't find the problem and it's consuming me!

Oh, and a nice lil bounty for the one who solves this nuisance for me. I'm good for it... see my red thread.

edit - I run the coinds not the full wallet - if that makes a difference? Can say I've noticed one though.

KriszDev

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 07:28:45 AM

Coind is the daemon it have no GUI but have to same function.
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:05:37 PM

Yes, I know. I also run it with disablewallet=1... I was just trying everything to figure out why my system crashes when I start mining. But I like running the coinds... I don't have a dozen windows open now Tongue

omgbossis21

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:45:30 PM

drivers installed?  overclocked?  sufficient power supply and/or cooling?
KriszDev

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:59:17 PM

Yes, I know. I also run it with disablewallet=1... I was just trying everything to figure out why my system crashes when I start mining. But I like running the coinds... I don't have a dozen windows open now Tongue
If you disable wallet then where you mining? I mean you need address to mine. (if you use daemon as mining pool)
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:12:56 PM

drivers installed?  overclocked?  sufficient power supply and/or cooling?

Yip, no OC, power is good 1200 plus 750. Cooling is good. It works fine as either or, I just can't do both.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:13:31 PM

If you disable wallet then where you mining? I mean you need address to mine. (if you use daemon as mining pool)

This has no bearing on me getting my coins. I still get them

omgbossis21

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:35:54 PM

Update your bios?
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:30:43 PM

Update your bios?

I have an asus sabertooth, r2.0 or something like that. When I first built it a couple of months ago it was the latest and greatest, but I'll check if there were any updates. Just curious... What would the bios have to do with it? If I don't have to update the bios, I really don't. I just want to be able to use the 5 cards I have connected to this system.

omgbossis21

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:36:47 PM

I believe your ram and pcie share lanes and bandwidth on that chipset.
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:44:29 PM

I believe your ram and pcie share lanes and bandwidth on that chipset.

K... Can you please elaborate a lil more? I may have built these systems but I'm no techie.

omgbossis21

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:03:25 PM

I take that back it doesn't directly share lanes with the memory but it does like require dma (direct memory access).  The lanes are just what it uses to transfer the data on new generations being directly linked to the processor.  Your pcie lanes are often directly linked to e-sata, Wi-Fi , lan ports, etc. and bios updates sort known issues out (driver conflicts etc).  It can be possible for a video card to short out and you lose onboard lan port(s) or onboad wifi etc.
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:45:30 PM

I take that back it doesn't directly share lanes with the memory but it does like require dma (direct memory access).  The lanes are just what it uses to transfer the data on new generations being directly linked to the processor.  Your pcie lanes are often directly linked to e-sata, Wi-Fi , lan ports, etc. and bios updates sort known issues out (driver conflicts etc).  It can be possible for a video card to short out and you lose onboard lan port(s) or onboad wifi etc.

Ah! Gotcha. So I'm able to mine without a problem on this system, and it runs well. It's only when I try to run my coinds and p2pools while mining is the system crashes. That said... is this a memory issue? Apache logs don't even capture why the system failed... it just shuts off abruptly. But I didn't want to go out and buy memory (i have four 2 gb sticks)... because in order to realize benefits, I'd have to go up to 4 GB sticks and I'll have to buy 4 to double the memory I currently have. These rigs are a 10k investment. No doubt a few hundred bucks on memory is nothing compared to what I've already put in - but if I don't have to... I don't want to!

omgbossis21

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:53:48 AM

If your bios is up to date then try it with one stick of memory and it don't work try it with the other stick.  If it works with one stick then most likely you have a bad stick and you can use memtest or any memory tester to test one at a time and be sure.  You should be able to run whatever you want with one or two sticks it just generally may not run as well. 
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:49:58 AM

If your bios is up to date then try it with one stick of memory and it don't work try it with the other stick.  If it works with one stick then most likely you have a bad stick and you can use memtest or any memory tester to test one at a time and be sure.  You should be able to run whatever you want with one or two sticks it just generally may not run as well. 

I tested the memory when I first put system together but I had an opportunity to play around with my server a lil bit today. I have my 4 p2pool nodes up and now it's only running at 1.57 RAM utilization. I'll try and start mining again to see if I crash. I think I'm supposed to have one gig of RAM per GPU, right? with 8 gigs this should be suffice. If it crashes again, can we rule out memory?

omgbossis21

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:12:43 AM

What kind of memory is it?  Processor?   How many sticks are you running?  My system isn't 2 months old and Im waiting on a rma of a stick of memory that lasted a week and 1/2 before the system kept crashing because of it. 
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:33:23 AM

What kind of memory is it?  Processor?   How many sticks are you running?  My system isn't 2 months old and Im waiting on a rma of a stick of memory that lasted a week and 1/2 before the system kept crashing because of it. 

Consair. I have 4 2GB sticks running in the system.

omgbossis21

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:42:53 AM

Have you checked bios to make sure their set to the right voltage/speed and timings?
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:28:55 AM

Have you checked bios to make sure their set to the right voltage/speed and timings?

So I changed everything back to auto.... ? The memory has speed of 1333 (i think). the CPU is an 8 core 4.something ghz

I also just tested - I was able to run 3 cards no problem. Turned the other 2 on (guess I should've tried just one) and it crashed. So 3 cards with my nodes are good.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:56:35 AM

Good lord, what have I done! GUI won't boot now. GRUB menu only allows safe boot... I tried to reinstall the desktop overlay but to no avail. This all started because somehow lightdm decided not to show its ass up at boot.

This is what I get for messing around instead of chilling waiting for someone to assist. Now my site and pool nodes are down Sad

Mining are the least of my worries now. At least I know I'm good with 3 cards, I'll settle for that. Now my focus is bringing my server back up to where it was. Shall we say .03BTC?

Just so you know... I've done this before (guilty - but I'm no techie, so no judgement, lol). Actually I've done worst than this before... but last time, I just threw the hard drive aside and started with another one... this one! And this one has all my files, so I need what's on it.

But I had this thought that I could just grab the other one and reinstalled the LAMP stack on it, giving it a very light light GUI like Awesome or Xfce. Then mount the the one (current) with the messed up config files... but leave all that crap and just snag my personals. This will work but I;m hoping for a better/faster/cleaner solution.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: