Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 12:29:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BOUNTY - Mining & Hosting P2Pools  (Read 1562 times)
ThePeePs

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:27:07 AM

You can use your Ubuntu CD (or USB stick if you used that to install instead) to boot, but NOT re-install and you will have access to all of your files on your drive.

I would suggest this.

After you have all of your files backed up, reinstall, restore your files, get everything the way you want it.  If it's a server, do suggest w/o a gui.

Before you fire your p2pool nodes back up, install VirtualBox, and create a VM for your P2Pool nodes (it's how i run mine).  on your VM, run the coin daemons, and have their P2P port open to inet for incoming connections, as well as the P2Pool ports.  Then on your host machine run the wallets (either daemon or qt) and in the conf file put connect=<IP.of.your.VM> this way your wallet will remain synced to the network. 

This serves two purposes
  • Your P2Pool node(s), and your personal wallet(s) are separate (less risk of losing coins)
  • You will be able to better track what is using resources.

Hope this helps.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
omgbossis21

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:59:13 AM

Also wondering why under heavier (all gpus and nodes) it crashes and now it crashed on its own.  Did you swap the HD cable to when you swapped drives and I would still test the memory and make sure bios updated.
Lucky Cris (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:34:28 PM

You can use your Ubuntu CD (or USB stick if you used that to install instead) to boot, but NOT re-install and you will have access to all of your files on your drive.

I would suggest this.

After you have all of your files backed up, reinstall, restore your files, get everything the way you want it.  If it's a server, do suggest w/o a gui.

Before you fire your p2pool nodes back up, install VirtualBox, and create a VM for your P2Pool nodes (it's how i run mine).  on your VM, run the coin daemons, and have their P2P port open to inet for incoming connections, as well as the P2Pool ports.  Then on your host machine run the wallets (either daemon or qt) and in the conf file put connect=<IP.of.your.VM> this way your wallet will remain synced to the network.  

This serves two purposes
  • Your P2Pool node(s), and your personal wallet(s) are separate (less risk of losing coins)

Hope this helps.

Um... YES! I didn't know i could use the CD to boot, it's just the original ISO image, nice! I'm having an hell of a time trying to mount my external drive; guess I screwed that up somehow as well because it's not being recognized anymore. I'll try and do this today after work... if this works out - bounty to you!

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:37:25 PM

Also wondering why under heavier (all gpus and nodes) it crashes and now it crashed on its own.  Did you swap the HD cable to when you swapped drives and I would still test the memory and make sure bios updated.

Well, it's not crashing on it's own... I messed around with a few config files here and there so that's totally my fault. No, I didn't swap out the HD cable, but I used a different port (is that the same?). The bios is up to date, but I'll also test the memory as well as soon as it's back online. I can't do anything with it at this point until I fixed my big boo-boo! lol

ThePeePs

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:41:03 PM

I would suggest this.

After you have all of your files backed up, reinstall, restore your files, get everything the way you want it.  If it's a server, do suggest w/o a gui.

Before you fire your p2pool nodes back up, install VirtualBox, and create a VM for your P2Pool nodes (it's how i run mine).  on your VM, run the coin daemons, and have their P2P port open to inet for incoming connections, as well as the P2Pool ports.  Then on your host machine run the wallets (either daemon or qt) and in the conf file put connect=<IP.of.your.VM> this way your wallet will remain synced to the network.  

This serves two purposes

Hope this helps.

Um... YES! I didn't know i could use the CD to boot, it's just the original ISO image, nice! I'm having an hell of a time trying to mount my external drive; guess I screwed that up somehow as well because it's not being recognized anymore. I'll try and do this today after work... if this works out - bounty to you!

You can use gparted to look to see if your external drive is seen by the system. (or tail the messages/syslog files and look for err msg's)

Also, iirc the CD should also have an option to boot into memtest86.  I would let that run for a least a few complete passes on each test.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:12:56 PM

I would suggest this.

After you have all of your files backed up, reinstall, restore your files, get everything the way you want it.  If it's a server, do suggest w/o a gui.

Before you fire your p2pool nodes back up, install VirtualBox, and create a VM for your P2Pool nodes (it's how i run mine).  on your VM, run the coin daemons, and have their P2P port open to inet for incoming connections, as well as the P2Pool ports.  Then on your host machine run the wallets (either daemon or qt) and in the conf file put connect=<IP.of.your.VM> this way your wallet will remain synced to the network. 

This serves two purposes

Hope this helps.

You can use gparted to look to see if your external drive is seen by the system. (or tail the messages/syslog files and look for err msg's)

Also, iirc the CD should also have an option to boot into memtest86.  I would let that run for a least a few complete passes on each test.

Okay, I'll try this too! I looked at the fstab (I think) and it showed up, I just can't seem to mount it so I can transfer my files to it Sad  I'm not a techie so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

I did try the memtest option from GRUB but it gave me an error. Will this test let me know whether my initial issue was due to memory?

ThePeePs

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:57:25 PM

It would depend on what the error was.  On my main desktop, i HAVE to run memtest86 from the CD, as it will not load from grub (never took the time to figure out why).

As for your mouning problem; fstab is only used for auto mounting (at system startup) or to manually mount per-defined mounts (that you would use on a reg basis, but not needed to be mounted at boot).  If the drive shows up in /dev then it can be mounted manually in one two ways.

If you know what it gets lettered as (ie: sdb, or sdc, etc) then, as root, you can mount it by
Code:
mount /dev/sdb /path/to/mount/point

Or, open the file explorer, and look on the left, and see if you drive is listed there, if so click on it, and it should mount it for you.

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 10:49:06 PM

It would depend on what the error was.  On my main desktop, i HAVE to run memtest86 from the CD, as it will not load from grub (never took the time to figure out why).

As for your mouning problem; fstab is only used for auto mounting (at system startup) or to manually mount per-defined mounts (that you would use on a reg basis, but not needed to be mounted at boot).  If the drive shows up in /dev then it can be mounted manually in one two ways.

If you know what it gets lettered as (ie: sdb, or sdc, etc) then, as root, you can mount it by
Code:
mount /dev/sdb /path/to/mount/point

Or, open the file explorer, and look on the left, and see if you drive is listed there, if so click on it, and it should mount it for you.

I don't have a GUI anymore, so no more clicking on the icon, lol. But it used to show up there up until about a week ago, then it disappeared... I haven't been able to mount it since. I also tried the command you suggested... But I get an error. Something to do about wrong format or something... I'm on the way home but I can tell you exact error when I get there. I messed up mounting last week when I tried to change my backup config via Webmin. For some reason, some changes apply via we min and some don't. I was actually going to remove/purge and reinstall because I I'd try to add a process to start at boot or something, and it refuse to accept it. Although that was the original setting that I stopped.

I'll post more when I get home...

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:50:15 PM

Status update -

I had to start from scratch Sad  I literally couldn't even mount my external dvd drive to boot from cd. I guess when I uninstalled the GUI, something relating to blueman got screwed up and I couldn't install or repair anything without errors. I don't use bluetooth so didn't think there would've been an issue removing/disabling those services but evidently that damn package had its hand in everything. It's a confirmed bug that's still open with no resolution.

To top that off - my external drive, where my backups were stored, was corrupted. This was probably the nemesis that caused this all, because I tried restoring from backup a couple of times. Needless to say, I ended up having to reformat the drive because my PC, MAC, or other linux system couldn't recognize it. So I lost all my data from there. Luckily I was able to copy files back onto it from safe mode, but got several corrupted errors. At this point, I don't know what can be saved from the hard drive.

Anyhoo - I went ahead and installed ubuntu server 14 and a very lightweight GUI (that I don't like). I haven't configured or reinstall anything as of yet, because I want to look in using the VM first.

ThePeePs, I could use your help with this one.

ThePeePs

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:00:13 PM

Sure no problem, If you want to jump on IRC, and join my channel on freenode #ThePeePs, i'll help you as much as you need.  If you don't have an IRC client, or dont know hoave to use one, there's a chat page on my p2pool page (see my sig for the link).  Sorry to hear about your external HDD.  Have you heard of SpinRite?  It's saved my bacon a few times.  It's $90 US, but it's well worth the price. Should be the first link in a google search.

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:15:46 PM

Sure no problem, If you want to jump on IRC, and join my channel on freenode #ThePeePs, i'll help you as much as you need.  If you don't have an IRC client, or dont know hoave to use one, there's a chat page on my p2pool page (see my sig for the link).  Sorry to hear about your external HDD.  Have you heard of SpinRite?  It's saved my bacon a few times.  It's $90 US, but it's well worth the price. Should be the first link in a google search.

Cool and no I haven't! I'll look into it. I was able to format mine from my PC - that's all windows wanted to do with it, so I had no other choice as I wanted to save as much as I could from my internal drive! I'm nervous about those corrupted errors I was getting while my files were being copied... but I just want to get the server fully configured before diving back into the installing what I need for the p2pool and mining.

I don't have an IRC client, but I got a lil experience using the web version - can you believe it... IRC cherry only recently popped, lol. I'll look you up Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: