Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:07:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Coin/Buck rig  (Read 2527 times)
xioros (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 05:41:49 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2011, 06:46:13 PM by xioros

Hi,
I now have one gaming rig:

MIVE
8GB ripjaws
6950 CF unlocked
However, I can't mine while gaming... :s

So I'm going to buy a mining rig:
*******EDIT*******
Wrong link
New:

http://bit.ly/kAyD8t

How does this look?
The motherboard allows the CPU to unlock an other core ( is this even necessary? )
The PSU allows enough power for 2 card + OC and has 4 PCI-E 6PIN connectors...

How many coins/day will I get by poolmining ( proportional pay ) par day?

Grtz
Xioros

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 05:43:31 PM

If it's just for mining it's incredibly overkill.
xioros (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 05:45:25 PM

How do you mean?
I though I needed as much CPU openCL power as I could get?
xioros (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:14:20 PM

The MIVE rig is purely for gaming

If my calculations are correct, I should have the money from the new rig back in about 2 months... ( 50 days )
I'm currently mining 2,5 Bitcoins/day in poolmining with my unlocked ( stock speed) 6950... ( 1 card )

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
This states that a fully overclocked 5850 will produce as much as an unlocked 6950...

So: 2 cards = 5 Bitcoins/day

Sell price= around 2,25-2.5 EUR... ( I guess it will continue to go up?)

I pay around 0,25 EUR/kWh ( @ night half)

The system will consume around 400W of power.

The price is ( shipping included ) 470 EUR

So:
x stands for time ( days)
y=(5*2.25*x)-(0.25*0.4*24*4/3*x)-470

y>0 if x=50

Am I right?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:21:40 PM

... ( I guess it will continue to go up?)

That's the question.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Grinder
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:25:11 PM

No. Lots of people think like you, so difficulty will probably rise to at least 200 000 in about two weeks, and even more after that. If the price stabilises at this level, the difficulty will rise quickly to about 300 000 and then it will continue to rise but not as fast.
JJG

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:42:54 PM

If my calculations are correct, I should have the money from the new rig back in about 2 months... ( 50 days )
I'm currently mining 2,5 Bitcoins/day in poolmining with my unlocked ( stock speed) 6950... ( 1 card )
Am I right?

50 days is almost enough time for 5 difficulty increases. The next one is already projected to be over 30%.

If this increase is 30%, and the next increase is 30%, etc. Then after 5 difficulty increases of 30% you'll be making a bit more than 25% of what you're seeing now.

Take the difficulty increases into account, run your projection in a spreadsheet by difficulty periods (about 10-11 days each) and then calculate your payoff.

Any mining profitability calculations beyond a few does absolutely must take rising difficulty into account.
xioros (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:48:27 PM

So...
It's not reliable to buy a new rig for mining anymore?

Grtz
xioros
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:54:25 PM

So...

Grtz
xioros

You could resell it when it is too slow to be profitable.
xioros (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:57:18 PM

How do I sell a system with a trash CPU, board, mem...?
The only thing good are the PSU and the GPU's...
+PC's drop very quickly in price
JJG

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 07:10:32 PM

So...

Grtz
xioros

Unless you buy everything used, get it delivered, configured, and up and running ASAP, and then could resell the parts for close to what you paid, it's not.

And don't underestimate how difficult it can be to buy all of the parts individually and have a bunch of sellers deliver them all to you on time. By the time your last part arrives, the economics will have changed drastically.
keybaud

Activity: 120

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 07:34:43 PM

To put mining rigs in context of cost, I'm trying to buy old motherboards and CPUs with multiple PCIe slots, as the RAM, HDD and CPU power is almost irrelevant. The only important bits are the GPU and the PSU to power it(them).
colossus

Activity: 121

Obey me and live or disobey and die.

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 08:05:37 PM

ignore the don't buy, its might not be worth it, blah blah, if ya wanna mine... mine, you never know what going to happen.

That rig looks fines a couple of constructive comments.

The case it has a couple of issues

1) it has no front intake from what i can see.
2) heat rises and there is no top exhaust either so with 2 cards its might be a bit of a hotbox with 2 cards running.

So i might look for a better ventilated case with the summer coming and everything.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 08:59:26 PM

ignore the don't buy, its might not be worth it, blah blah, if ya wanna mine... mine, you never know what going to happen.

That rig looks fines a couple of constructive comments.

The case it has a couple of issues

1) it has no front intake from what i can see.
2) heat rises and there is no top exhaust either so with 2 cards its might be a bit of a hotbox with 2 cards running.

So i might look for a better ventilated case with the summer coming and everything.

This guy thinks there is some type of conspiracy theory about mining profits. He posts these remarks as if everyone is telling something that isn't true because more miners mean higher difficulty. This might partly be it, but is far from complete truth.

The profit from mining is there, but at this junction just buying may be more profitable without the hassles of buying and selling equipment at the right time and suffering with heat and other issues maintaining a mining operation. I didn't recognize that I fell in this category about 3 months back and now although I am about to recover my cost, my pure profit run won't last long as I hoped at all. Now I'm considering selling my setup in a month or two depending on and then just investing the money. In fact I actually saw few ads of people selling rigs already.

This is the reality for me at least. I could have made even more money just buying outright and have more coins and more money in my pocket with nothing to sell this very day. But this is looking in hindsight after seeing the price jump from .7 to 4. about 5 fold increase. People are asking these questions because they are smart and when people give them answers other than blindly mine, others second guess their intentions. Say what you will, I don't regret going into mining at all, but I do wish that I just bought the btc when it was cheap because I would have ended up with more today.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 03:27:30 AM

The decision on whether to buy coins directly or invest in a mining rig depends on the current market (price of bitcoin and difficulty factor) relative to future change.  When bitcoins are cheap buy bitcoins.  When bitcoins are expensive buy rigs.  To spread the risk in the face of uncertainty, go half and half.

The profit from mining is there, but at this junction just buying may be more profitable without the hassles of buying and selling equipment at the right time and suffering with heat and other issues maintaining a mining operation. I didn't recognize that I fell in this category about 3 months back and now although I am about to recover my cost, my pure profit run won't last long as I hoped at all. Now I'm considering selling my setup in a month or two depending on and then just investing the money. In fact I actually saw few ads of people selling rigs already.

This is the reality for me at least. I could have made even more money just buying outright and have more coins and more money in my pocket with nothing to sell this very day. But this is looking in hindsight after seeing the price jump from .7 to 4. about 5 fold increase. People are asking these questions because they are smart and when people give them answers other than blindly mine, others second guess their intentions. Say what you will, I don't regret going into mining at all, but I do wish that I just bought the btc when it was cheap because I would have ended up with more today.

If you bought a rig instead of coins when coins were cheap, and their price rose over a short period, then you missed profit over that short-term, sure.  In reaction, let's say you now decide to sell your rig and buy coins.  But now you might be buying coins when they are expensive, and their price may not rise over the next short-term.  So this term your profits could be zero or negative. You might have more coins but your only chance of profit is speculation.  If you keep the rig you would be earning coins consistently.

50 days is almost enough time for 5 difficulty increases. The next one is already projected to be over 30%.

If this increase is 30%, and the next increase is 30%, etc. Then after 5 difficulty increases of 30% you'll be making a bit more than 25% of what you're seeing now.

Take the difficulty increases into account, run your projection in a spreadsheet by difficulty periods (about 10-11 days each) and then calculate your payoff.

Any mining profitability calculations beyond a few does absolutely must take rising difficulty into account.

You're estimating the payoff by projecting an increase in difficulty, but assuming a stagnant price.  This makes no sense.  In order to estimate your payoff you have to predict the future price of bitcoin, which is highly volatile.

There's also no rule that says the difficulty consistently increases.  Actually, we have seen the difficulty drop when price drops.

Whether you mine coin or whether you buy coin, both can be equally profitable.  The trick is selling high (after mining cheap and holding, or buying low and holding).

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 03:33:25 AM

But let's not derail off xioros's topic.

We only need minimal RAM, CPU, and HD. 

So what's the best/cheapest motherboard, power supply, and case combo?

Looking for different options.  A cheap one for a system of one or two video cards.  And an expensive one for four video cards.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
nster

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 03:46:48 AM

If you get ripjaws, make sure you get the newer X versions or wtv, same price but compatible with lga 1155

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
colossus

Activity: 121

Obey me and live or disobey and die.

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 06:51:11 AM

I would look at this one for the temptation to go to 4 its not that expensive i normally pay around this for a normalish decent mobo from new at least.

MSI 790FX-GD70

I normally hunt for second handers myself, just got an old lga775 DFI lanparty board with 3 slots for graphics, there is a lot of socket 775 stuff knocking around cheap these days as well.
Grinder
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 09:05:08 AM

There's also no rule that says the difficulty consistently increases.  Actually, we have seen the difficulty drop when price drops.
Only once. On the other hand the difficulty has increased many times the last months even if the price was falling.
Dayofswords

Activity: 138
Merit: 11

Exchange BTC in Telegram https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2011, 10:32:17 AM

Why not put another card in your current rig and set your miner to only use only that card?

BTC Banker - Exchange BTC in Telegram bot https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: