Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:55:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex: total return swap  (Read 958 times)
rhader (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:44:48 AM

Can someone please explain how total return swaps for USD function from the prospective of the person offering the liquidity? It seems like the interest rate per day is extremely high and I cant see how it could be so high to offer money per day without some risk involved for the person doing the lending. How do these things work? I want to start offering USD swaps but just cant get good info on it.
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:43:48 PM

Can someone please explain how total return swaps for USD function from the prospective of the person offering the liquidity? It seems like the interest rate per day is extremely high and I cant see how it could be so high to offer money per day without some risk involved for the person doing the lending. How do these things work? I want to start offering USD swaps but just cant get good info on it.

The risk you are taking is that you are sending hard cash to a company about which you know almost nothing and so have to take pretty much entirely on trust and which could be closed down at any time by some over zealous jack booted regulator. And also don't forget to factor in tax on the income you earn. For most people it is easier and less stressful just to buy and hold BTC with a view to capital appreciation (if BTC doubles in 18 months you would be better off than lending the same cash on bitfinex).

All that said, it certainly has a place in a high risk portfolio

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
WillyBTC

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:47:17 PM

The catch: 1) Exchange risk -- Bitfinex operates under hazy regulation and has questionable KYC policies. They could be shut down or run with the money. 2) Outstanding swaps vs. bid side liquidity is very high. In a high-volume decline, where bids cannot sustain liquidations of leveraged longs, lenders risk losing money lended that cannot be recouped through liquidation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: