Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:34:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Extract or send BTC from desktop wallet client before synching?  (Read 737 times)
Blutopaz (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:08:09 AM

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased BTC from exchange and sent the BTC's to my desktop wallet address. Desktop wallet was installed from Bitcoin.org site.
It is taking forever to sync (Almost 2.5 years behind still). But I already bought BTC and the site says it has sent the coins to my wallet (which is in that desktop client). Problem is that wallet still shows out of sync and doesn't reflect the BTC's which I bought.

Can you please let know how to extract this BTC from my desktop wallet? or send to other wallet.
P.S: I have installed a android app which has a bitcoin wallet and is there a way if I transfer to this wallet?

I tried sending the BTC using the "Send" option in the desktop wallet, but is throwing an error - "The amount exceeds you balance". I strongly believe this because my desktop client wallet doesn't have that BTC I purchased reflecting in it.

I am not sure if this topic is already discussed before, if so I apologize for creating a new one.
Please help point me in the right direction.

Help is greatly appreciated. Happy mining Smiley

rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 11:04:31 AM

Yes, you need to either wait for it to sync, or export the private key and import it into another client such as MultiBit, which takes much less time to sync. At any rate, I would not trust the Android client until I can confirm which client that is exactly.

While the process to move to MultiBit is fairly straightforward, it's already given on Stack Exchange.
Blutopaz (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 11:38:50 AM

Hi rarkenin,

Thank you mate. I almost thought i lost my coins.
Anyways, Android app  that i installed is "Mycelium wallet". I haven's transferred anything to this wallet yet.
Do you think this app is not safe?
I will do some more research on google anyway on this app if it is safe.

Also Thanks for letting me know on Multibit. I will try that one.

Have a good one mate and thanks

Tough is not how hard you look. Its how hard you train Smiley
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:48:52 PM

There are several options available for exporting the address and private key data from your Bitcoin Core wallet for use in other wallets.

The easiest method would be to import the wallet.dat file from Bitcoin Core into blockchain.info to create a new wallet there:
https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet

Then send the balance from the blockchain.info wallet to a new address at whatever other wallet you prefer to use.

Other options include the use of the dumpprivkey API call in Bitcoin Core or the use of pywallet to extract the info from the wallet.dat file.
moreia

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:21:29 AM

Hi rarkenin,

Thank you mate. I almost thought i lost my coins.
Anyways, Android app  that i installed is "Mycelium wallet". I haven's transferred anything to this wallet yet.
Do you think this app is not safe?
I will do some more research on google anyway on this app if it is safe.

Also Thanks for letting me know on Multibit. I will try that one.

Have a good one mate and thanks

Tough is not how hard you look. Its how hard you train Smiley

Recommend you don't store all your coins on mobile especially android. Store a little bit you need to send in and out but your fortune keep locked away on a paper wallet or on a offline client such as armoury.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: