Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:21:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgotten password using Pywallet.  (Read 803 times)
pissedoff (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 11:05:21 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2014, 05:33:54 PM by pissedoff

Ok so my friend recently wanted me to help him with his lost password he said he knows most of it but there are a few characters which he has either mistyped or forgotten. But because we live far away from each other I suggested that he doesn't upload his wallet.dat on the internet and use the pywallet and dump the keys etc (so he doesn't have to worry about losing any of it)

However, I Haven't got much knowledge of what to do when I receive that information. Can someone let me know what to do with the information he gave me from the pywallet dump?

Thanks in advance.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 01:20:18 AM

Ok so my friend recently wanted me to help him with his lost password he said he knows most of it but there are a few characters which he has either mistyped or forgotten. But because we live far away from each other I suggested that he doesn't upload his wallet.dat on the internet and use the pywallet and dump the keys etc (so he doesn't have to worry about losing any of it)

However, I Haven't got much knowledge of what to do when I receive that information. Can someone let me know what to do with the information he gave me from the pywallet dump?

Thanks in advance.

Most importantly, please be aware that the information which pywallet dumps is just as sensitive as the wallet.dat file itself, so they both should be treated carefully!

If you have a decent idea of what the password contains, you have at least some chance of recovering the wallet file. There is an open source tool, btcrecover, over here that may help (full disclosure: I'm the author). The tutorial is here. Also, this thread has a wealth of information on the subject.

If you're worried about transferring wallet information over the Internet, that tool has a potential solution for that issue as well. If you have any questions or need assistance with it, please let me know.
pissedoff (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:54:41 PM

I'm in contact with Chris in the possibility of using Btcrecover. However, I'm hoping I can get some information on using the dump details and then using the script to find the password from the pywallet just in case I can't seem to get Btcrecover to work. I'm sure that my friend will be willing to tip anyone who helps as long as we can successfully get the password for him.
pissedoff (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:11:31 PM

btchris is now helping me using his program (even though I'm a newbie) so I'll close this thread unless I still can't figure it out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: