Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 06:28:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I use bitcoin if I have no internet?  (Read 2980 times)
gtraah

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:48:16 AM

Why don't we all invest in gold though? it's not as volatile and is always rising, always holds its value, has been around for thousands of years, has real value, can be used regardless of the internet/electricity situation and in crisis skyrockets in value. It is probably more rare than bitcoin, has been used as currency for millenia, no one can take your gold if you have a good safe, gold is tax free, I could go on for hours here!

no brainer?

Actually this guy is selling his 2million dollar gold mine for BTC it currently can make 1million a year revenue...

Even he said Gold is influenced by politics so with gold you are in the mercy of the big boys in black... He was a mature guy in his 60s id say and very well entrenched in the gold scene
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 1373

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:25:21 AM

Get a flash drive, and place your info on it. Then use a public library, which you can often access without a library card, off your drivers license.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3976
Merit: 2207

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 10:55:14 AM

Get a flash drive, and place your info on it. Then use a public library, which you can often access without a library card, off your drivers license.

Smiley
He is talking about the whole internet being down. The public library won't have internet either.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 10:59:39 AM

how long until internet is back up and running?  with no internet - the mining network would need to transition to another networking layer - otherwise you could sign transactions between parties- BUT NO transactions will be confirmed until the miners have a chance to see them and relay them into the next block

Hmm - does BTC act like its own forked blockchain and we have our own miners verifying millions of forks because they are disconnected and only see their own relayed transactions without internet?

RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:09:35 AM

i don't know about bitcoins , what if internet goes down , then half of our lives too  Sad

This is the real truth.

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:48:39 AM

If I was an insanely big holder like the Winklevii I would get in contact with other insanely big holders and create an internet that's based on satelites and that cannot be put down by the powers that be. I think Kim Dotcom is already at this as we speak. If the "owners" of this new internet are positive for Bitcoin it means BTC will never go down.

izanagi narukami
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:57:07 PM

wew i never imagine if this can happen someday  Shocked

As i know bitcoin is high risk market
why do i must hold it like i keep dollars...
So I can prevent this case with spend all of my BTC first before that happen,

Smiley
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:05:38 PM

If the internet goes down so does bitcoin though, am I right?

The internet is such a large network, it is impossible to take down now. The computers in the internet can work independently of each other, and on a local area we simply call them networks.  Also most of the economy would stop, many companies depend on the internet. The event of internet going down is very unlikely to happen.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 07:44:51 PM

How can the internet go down. Even if someone takes down all the bradband and DSL services, how he will be able to block the signals from the satellite phones? Bitcoin transactions will be possible if someone owns a satellite phone.
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:33:50 PM

by internet you probably mean the core routers that route packets between countries.
bitcoin will still work but each country will have its own network and its own fork of the blockchain.
its possible people with usb flash drives could physically fly between countries and synchronize all the different blockchains (only takes one person in each country to do it).
6 confirmations won't be enough in this extreme scenario, you would probably want to wait for the physical blockchain synchronization to make sure there were no double spends on another country's blockchain.

ill add that if the internet is down it probably means we are in the middle of another world war and its unlikely you will be able to move any significant amounts of gold out of the country, the authorities might even try to confiscate it from your home.
in this scenario bitcoin becomes the only way to move alot of purchasing power between borders (and generally to protect your wealth from confiscation).
Asianconnect

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Asianconnect

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 08:32:46 AM

If "internet goes down" you will have much larger problems than Bitcoin...trust me...
So many very important financial and military stuff relies on Internet, that, if it ever goes down, you can expact shitstorm comming our way, that is so large, that you wont think of Bitcoin for quiet some time.

I agree with you precisely. Huge of problems will come if "internet goes down."

© 2022 Asianconnect
mailmansDOGE

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 08:35:47 AM

Paper wallets I guess? The one you'll be paying in bitcoin should have internet access.
zahra4571

Activity: 467

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 09:07:50 AM

That would be just impossible, maybe only if ww3 began. That will stop all transactions until the internet go up again.
I wouldn't care if that happen, because its probably gonna run to save ass.

sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 10:31:01 AM

Internet down = bitcoin down
there are much more bigger problem if internet down

I think paper wallet / radio signal might work  Huh

Internet down, you still can have BTC, but not to spend BTC

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:16:54 PM

I'm not clear on this, is it if the individual's internet goes down or ALL internet goes down.

Individual's internet, there's a ton of workarounds.  Like many mentioned, public wifi, radio, flash drive, sms, etc..

Because if it's ALL internet like a terrorist or EMP attack, Bitcoin would be the last thing on my mind....

In the case of an EMP, not having internet is the least of your troubles let alone Bitcoin.  No electricity means grab yo guns....

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:30:56 PM

How bitcoins going to be mined?
How transactions going to be confirmed(that is the same as how bitcoin could be mined)?
How nodes could update thei blockchains and sync each other?

Yes, that would be the end of bitcoin
oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:25:39 PM

Yes unfortunately if the internet went down that would pretty much render any bitcoins useless, at least until the internet came back up. To be honest though if the internet went down completely I would be pretty worried as to what had happened to have caused the internet to go down rather than whether I could use my bitcoins at that current moment.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:19:43 PM

Internet cafe, smart phone? neighbours wifi  Roll Eyes If no to all of these then you can not.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:27:48 PM

nothing is guaranteed, the gov't could ban gold and make you turn it in. It has happened before.
They could ban bitcoin as well but that isn't going to happen anytime soon anywhere from what I read into current events.
The worst case isn't the net going down, it would be the govt' locking the net down
and banning bitcoin. It would make it pretty hard to perform transactions but I'm sure where there is a will
there is a way Smiley

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:28:45 PM

These types of questions boggles my mind...

Bitcoin will be one of the Last things if not The Last thing on your mind, if the internet went down. If the internet went down(the entire internet on earth), either all the satellites were destroyed by a meteor heading for Earth, taken offline by a malicious entity(terrorists etc), or WW3 is going on....

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: