Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:57:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NSA Mass Spying Undermines Journalists and Attorneys’ Ability to Work  (Read 520 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:02:53 AM

NSA HQ
Dozens of journalists and attorneys surveyed by the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch for a new report say that the United States government’s surveillance operations are eroding their ability to work.

The results of the collaborative effort between the ACLU and HRW was published on Monday this week and contains a number of chilling accounts from Pulitzer Prize-winning reporters and acclaimed attorneys alike who say the US government’s spy programs have put a damper on their professions.

After surveying 92 participants — 46 reporters, 42 lawyers and a handful of current or former government officials — the authors of the 126-page "With Liberty to Monitor All" study conclude that US surveillance practices are “harming journalism, law and American democracy” by making it increasingly difficult for professionals tasked with keeping governments accountable and preserving justice from accomplishing as much.

More...http://rt.com/usa/176176-aclu-hrw-surveillance-report/
Balkhole

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:05:25 AM

I think this will hurt attorneys more then journalists. If an attorney cannot communicate with his client in confidence then he will not be able to properly represent him and give him the best advice.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:15:32 AM

I think this will hurt attorneys more then journalists. If an attorney cannot communicate with his client in confidence then he will not be able to properly represent him and give him the best advice.
Perhaps, in a court case going up against the NSA or govt overreach but not so much in mundane hearings over criminal stuff that isn't really on the radar, typically. I'd say journalists have more to worry about as their jobs are supposed to be the watchdogs of govt antics. Could go either way I guess.
chogath

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 06:44:47 AM

Spying on Journalists, Reporters! Damn, this is going to bring a lot of downturn to the future systems as a lot of information is in the hands of News Agencies, when these are tracked, don't know who to trust..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: